Ventrilo Tech Support  

Go Back   Ventrilo Tech Support > Main Category > Windows Client

Old 02-02-2006, 07:53 PM   #1
bigred

Default U3 compatible version?

This is intended for the Ventrilo devs.

Have you given anythought to making a U3 compliant version of the software? A portable version of Ventrilo could be very useful. Skype, Trillian, Firefox, OpenOffice and many other programs have been ported over with the free SDK.

[url]https://www.u3.com/developers/user/registration.aspx[/url]
bigred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2006, 03:40 AM   #2
bigred

Any comments?

If there were a U3 compatible version one great use would be for people that do gaming at internet cafe's. They could take their U3 flashdrive (w/ Ventrilo installed) and plug it into the cafe computer, then they get all of their account/server settings right there with them in their own install of the program.

Last edited by bigred; 02-20-2006 at 03:43 AM.
Old 02-20-2006, 11:49 AM   #3
Flagship
Administrator

I'll take a look at it.
Old 02-23-2006, 01:54 AM   #4
bigred

Cool stuff.
From what I've seen it seems to be fairly easy to port an application over to U3. The free SDK is great.

Programs like Skype, Trillian, Firefox, OpenOffice and a lot of others have already released U3 versions.
Old 10-02-2006, 07:25 PM   #5
ZzeCoOl

Talking

Its so easy to convert the application to U3 if only you can specify Ventrilo where to generated and from where to read his configuration file

Instead of use the C:\Documents and Settings\*user*\Applications Data\Ventrilo to use the %U3_APP_DATA_PATH% folder

There is also another way , the way of using the HOST folder to copy every time your setting files into C:\Documents and Settings\*user*\Applications Data\Ventrilo folder but i dont like this way cause i want to use only U3's folders i dont want nothing to be copied into the host pc

U3 owns but it is a bit pain tou convert every single application you like into their format of installation and work properly

Ventrilo is somethng that i didnt finished cause of this : that i cant make ventrilo to read the config file from %U3_APP_DATA_PATH% cause im not his editor

The build in "working directory feature" stored into the C:\Documents and Settings ....... blah....blah.. settings file so i dont find any use with this

Im not a programmer correct me if im wrong
ZzeCoOl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2007, 08:30 PM   #6
Shrapnet-Rob

Since certain codecs are installed on a system with Vent, the U3 application would need to install those codecs on every computer that the software is run on. I believe the whole premise behind U3 is to leave zero footprint on the machine it was run on.
Shrapnet-Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 03:33 PM   #7
RC141

I know this is a Old post but I was wondering if there was anymore thought on this. i know I would like it. Right now i run my Vent off my Flash Drive and as long as I keep going to the same Computers I don't have to re-enter the info. but it would be sweet not to have to worry about it.
RC141 is offline   Reply With Quote