Ventrilo Tech Support  

Go Back   Ventrilo Tech Support > Main Category > Server

Old 11-22-2007, 07:24 AM   #1
darryle

Default One Found Solution for: ?MSG Contacting Server

Hi all, i was having the same problem as alot of you, i upgraded from 2.3 to 3.0 and was unable to connect to my server, no matter what i changed i was not able to connect, i thought this had to do with not being able to add [Intf] to the non pro version, but i found that my problem was, i was trying to access my server, which was on another computer in my network, with an external address. Once i tried connecting to it with a local network address, it was fine, and could see and connect perfectly. And as i have seen in other peoples posts, most said that others could connect to their servers from out side the network. So my solution is this:

if the server is on your local network, you must use a local address:
ie. 192.168.*.*

but it is fine for others to connect from out side with say a URL style address:
website.com

i hope this helps some of you, with this new confounded version 3 =\
darryle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2007, 09:32 AM   #2
wadesworld

This has always been the case. Connecting to the external address from the inside of your network is incorrect. If it worked previously, you just got lucky.
wadesworld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2007, 05:17 PM   #3
bowlasoup

Unhappy wa?

sorry but i am still a bit confused are you saying that if you are hosting a server, you can connect to the ip that starts 192.268 yadayadayada but other people have to connect to a URL rather than ip. if so, how do you know which url to choose
bowlasoup is offline   Reply With Quote