Old 11-06-2008, 10:13 PM   #51
potvin

Sure...one of the servers I usually hang out on..the ip is 208.100.40.20:4159
And the phone number to shaw is 1-403-716-6000
Is this info any good?
Old 11-07-2008, 12:15 AM   #52
jsilicz

Default Frustrating

This is very frustrating as I have removed ALL torrent like programs (including avast), I have changed my MAC address, and yet I still get MASSIVE lag on vent.

Can anyone in a few sentences sum up what exactly they are doing so when I call shaw tomorrow I do not sound like an idiot? Either they are throttling my bandwith or they are not packet shaping my vent with other programs?

Is that right?

thanks.
Old 11-07-2008, 05:33 AM   #53
Micawow

I've been having this exact same problem, random giant lag spikes. All this time I figured it was my host but it could be Shaw. I live in Victoria and currently using Shaw Extreme and we're getting massive lag spikes up to 26626 ping very often.

However, on some servers it doesn't happen, it depends on where the server is.
Old 11-07-2008, 04:49 PM   #54
jsilicz

My email received this response:

---------------------------------------------------
Thank you for your e-mail.
We are aware that there is a problem with the Ventrillo program as far as latency in the Shaw network, and we are working to get it resolved. In the meantime, one suggestion from our network techs is to try changing the port of Ventrillo to 3784. Please refer to the documentation of the program as to how to change the port of the software.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[/SIZE]
Old 11-07-2008, 06:36 PM   #55
Zeknichov

Well I switched to adsl and vent is working perfectly, so obviously its Shaw. Here's the thing though, only I out of everyone I know who uses Shaw has the problem. My theory is that it is something to do with customer specific traffic shaping (I torrent, A LOT), does anyone have any other theories? I'm wondering because I was going to phone Shaw and threaten to switch to Telus unless they stop shaping my traffic but would like to know if that's even the problem before I do something so bold.
Old 11-08-2008, 08:16 PM   #56
Giudecca

I just started getting massive vent pings when transmitting this week. We recently moved to a new vent server, and on Tuesday I didnt have a problem but I wasnt talking much. Now whenever I talked today my ping would jump to 20000 or so.

The only change I can tell that happened was the port changed from the 3784 to 3870. If anything that might mean that change in ports caused shaw to look at the data differently? I don't know, but I can only listen on vent now and it's highly irritating.

I have Shaw Extreme, and have 2 roommates who download torrents all the time, but I havent even opened a torrent program in months.

Last edited by Giudecca; 11-08-2008 at 08:18 PM.
Old 11-09-2008, 10:57 PM   #57
potvin

I tried a vent with port number 3784 and there is a difference. I believe there isnt any lag. I suggest everyone try a vent with that port number. But they still need to fix it with the other ported vent....
Old 11-10-2008, 01:40 PM   #58
Westward

Is there a way to request JUST a port change ? My vent provider ( DarkstarLLC) lets you pick a new server location but doesn't display the port...email them i guess ?
Old 11-10-2008, 06:01 PM   #59
potvin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westward View Post
Is there a way to request JUST a port change ? My vent provider ( DarkstarLLC) lets you pick a new server location but doesn't display the port...email them i guess ?
Yes they should be able to change the port number hopefully. But it has to be done on the server side. I am not sure if the admins of the vent can change it. I am on a vent right now with the port 9412...and I still get pings to 30k....LAWL! I didnt get lag when I used the port 3784...but like Shaw said that's only a temporary solution. Hopefully Flagship and Shaw are working on this and it will be resolved soon!

Last edited by potvin; 11-10-2008 at 06:03 PM.
Old 11-11-2008, 10:55 PM   #60
Westward

Quote:
Originally Posted by potvin View Post
Yes they should be able to change the port number hopefully. But it has to be done on the server side. I am not sure if the admins of the vent can change it. I am on a vent right now with the port 9412...and I still get pings to 30k....LAWL! I didnt get lag when I used the port 3784...but like Shaw said that's only a temporary solution. Hopefully Flagship and Shaw are working on this and it will be resolved soon!

I am the Vent admin xD and I can't find it on my webportal...meh...I guess ill just wait for Vent and Shaw to work things out.
Closed Thread