Ventrilo Tech Support  

Go Back   Ventrilo Tech Support > Main Category > Server

Old 12-01-2005, 11:28 PM   #1
cooter

Question Can I use a subdomain as a url for server ip?

Hi I am trying to figure out how I can use a subdomain url instead of an ip to log into my vent server

For example : say my vent ip is XX.XX.XX.XX , i'd like to change it to a familiar name like vent.myclanwebsite.com
I've noticed it done on a few ventrilo servers, i have been on like vent3.clanservers.com

Im sure its something to do with pointing my domain to the same ip just not sure how to go about it
cooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2005, 10:51 AM   #2
X-Gaming

Yes you can. All you need to do is edit your DNS records to have the sub-domain point to the vent IP.

If you are renting a webhosting package you would most likely need to have your provider make these changes for you.
X-Gaming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2005, 07:32 PM   #3
cooter

well im a webhost reseller and when i go to that particular domain's registrar godaddy.com it doesnt allow for subdomain dns pointing. so i keep fiddlin with the subdomain redirect and add-on domain in my domain's cpanel but i cant get it to work
not sure what im doing wrong
cooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2005, 11:37 AM   #4
Dieter

Default Using a sub doamin

as long as that subdomain points to the server where the ventrilo server is installed it should work. theoretically you should be able to use the normal domain if you are hosting off your home computer since the port is what matters in that case. i.e.

[URL="http://www.myclansite.com/"]www.myclansite.com/[/URL] could be the url entered since for the website it is port 80 and the ventrilo asks for a different port.
Dieter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2005, 05:16 PM   #5
X-Gaming

Quote:
Originally Posted by cooter
well im a webhost reseller and when i go to that particular domain's registrar godaddy.com it doesnt allow for subdomain dns pointing. so i keep fiddlin with the subdomain redirect and add-on domain in my domain's cpanel but i cant get it to work

Your going to need to edit the DNS zones on the web server not through godaddy. Ask your hoster for this, They should be able to handle it for you.
X-Gaming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2005, 11:43 AM   #6
dpwolf

Cool Subdomain IP.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cooter
I recommend using [URL="http://www.zoneedit.com"]www.zoneedit.com[/URL] as your DNS provider. You can have up to FIVE base level domains absolutely free. Sign up there and register your base domain. They will assign you two nameservers. Go to your godaddy account manager and change your DNS servers to point to Zone Edit's servers instead. This will take about two days to take effect. The management interface of Zoneedit is easy to use and allows you much finer control. You can easily set up subdomains that point to different IP addresses. I've used Zoneedit for years this way. It's the best I've found.

ICANN providers like GoDaddy don't really want to get deeply into the DNS management business as it can be complex but they provide minimal DNS services to "get you on the air." For subdomains and such you need finer grained control over your DNS records. Zoneedit fills that need.

I actually use a different approach. My server farm is behind a router firewall with the servers using NAT addresses on my own private LAN. I simply instruct the firewall to route the ventrilo inbound port to the local IP that serves it. Either way will work. I like keeping my voice servers separate from the web/mail server.
dpwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2010, 05:57 AM   #7
cg_armageddon

I don't have vent, but I do have godaddy, and a game server that I do this with. This Page should help.

[url]http://help.godaddy.com/article/5289[/url]
cg_armageddon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2010, 06:03 PM   #8
freakonature

If you go into your godaddy account and on the left hand side there is a My products colume, then a Domain Manager, click on that.

Click on the domain name that you want to add the Ventrilo server to. This opens up the Domain Manager Details.

Now on the middle-bottom of the page there is a catagory of Total DNS, click on Total DNS Control.

If you want to point this sub domain to a IP address you'll need to create a new A record, if you want to point this sub domain to a DDNS name you'll need to create a new CNAME record.

Your going to want to add a new CNAMES Record, so click on Add New CNAME Record. The Alias Name will be the subdomian name (i.e. if you put in ventsrv, then the full name will be ventsrv.yourdomain.com). Now type in the DDNS name that you currently have ( i.e ventserver2010.no-ip.org). Click okay and wait 5-10 minutes for godaddy to create it.

To Create a New A Record Click on Add New A Record. Under the Host Name type in a subdomian name (i.e. if you put in ventsrv, then the full name will be ventsrv.yourdomain.com). Under Points to IP Address put in your external IP address, you can find this by going to ipchicken.com or a site like that. Then hit okay.

Now to test what you've done open a command prompt ( windows key + R, then type in CMD.exe) and type in nslookup. At the nslookup pomopt type in the domain name that you specified above (ventsrv.yourdomain.com) and see if it maps back to your DDNS name or the external IP address.

phew! that was a lot of typing
freakonature is offline   Reply With Quote