Ventrilo Tech Support  

Go Back   Ventrilo Tech Support > Main Category > Server

Old 01-08-2009, 12:01 PM   #1
Ebula

Default Cant connect to server even though ports are open

Hi!

I have the problem that i cant connect to my server. The ports are all open in the firewall and it actually worked for a short time, then it stopped. I have checked the log and it seems that the UDP packets are coming in, but there is no reply. I think this might be the same problem that is described in the sticky, but i have a openSuse linux so i dont know where i can find the config files or what their syntax is.
Has any of you guys got some idea?
Ebula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 02:00 PM   #2
Prog-Rocker
just tryin to help

can you connect to it locally from another pc on the lan?
Prog-Rocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 05:01 PM   #3
grit621

Same problem here. Odd thing is that the status link on Vent's website shows the server is up and running. Yet the client (locally and via internet) are hung up with the "contacting server" message.

On the server side, I've tried disabling the firewall and putting the host computer in the dmz. There's not AV software running. I've got all the proper ports forwarded (3784 tcp/udp and 6100 upd) on a dlink 655. I've hard rebooted everything.

On the client side, I can connect to other vent servers just fine.

Any suggestions?

Last edited by grit621; 01-08-2009 at 05:06 PM.
grit621 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 08:43 PM   #4
Prog-Rocker
just tryin to help

on the dlink, did you create 2 entries for port 3784, one for TCP and one for UDP?

also, when testing locally:

[FONT=Verdana]For PC’s connecting on the same LAN as the server:[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana]If you’re connecting the client from a different PC than the server then configure the client to use one of the internal ipaddresses of the server for the servername.[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana] [/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana]If you’re running the client on the same PC as the server then use 127.0.0.1 or “localhost” as the servername.[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana] [/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana]Most home routers will not loopback a connection if you specify the external ipaddress or hostname.[/FONT]
Old 01-08-2009, 08:48 PM   #5
grit621

Thanks, I saw you post that before.

To clarify, the vent server is on my windows home server.

My vent client is on a diff computer (all wired, no wireless). Regardless of the above suggestions, I cannot connect.

Also, my friend cannot connect via internet (he lives 5 miles away, so not on the same local network).

As for the port forwarding, I made a separate entry for EACH one, so there are 3 total, and I double checked the tcp vs udp.

Any other help would be greatly appreciated.
Old 01-08-2009, 08:59 PM   #6
Prog-Rocker
just tryin to help

does the vent window display 'Ready:' at the bottom?

can you telnet from the client pc to the server pc and does the vent window show a temp connection?

telnet {ipaddress} 3784

did you try disabling QoS (network properties) and any un-used lan cards in the server pc?
Old 01-09-2009, 03:06 AM   #7
grit621

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prog-Rocker View Post
does the vent window display 'Ready:' at the bottom?

can you telnet from the client pc to the server pc and does the vent window show a temp connection?

telnet {ipaddress} 3784

did you try disabling QoS (network properties) and any un-used lan cards in the server pc?
- It does show "Ready:"
- I don't have a tenet client, so let me get one and get back to you
- disable QoS where? Server or client side? Router? There are no QoS options in Windows Home Server. I'll try on the client side, but my client works on other vent servers, so that should not be the problem. I did disable it in the router, to no avail.
- There are no unused network cards, wireless, firewire, etc. on the server.
Old 01-09-2009, 09:25 AM   #8
Prog-Rocker
just tryin to help

grit -

Qos should be in the network properties list for that lan card. (the same place where TCP/IP is)

are you running any VPN software on the vent server pc?

try testing by booting windows into "safe-mode with networking" (keep hitting F8 before the windows logo appears). then start the vent server.

as a test, install the vent client on the server pc and try to connect to an external server.

frost.pure-voice.net
(port=3784)
Old 01-09-2009, 01:53 PM   #9
grit621

Telnet - I'm not a telnet guy, so I don't know what I'm looking at. What I can tell you is that the telnet app acts the same way when I connect to my server as it does to the frost.pure-voice.net server. When I try to connect to a local ip without a vent server running, it tells me there's no connection. Also, when I logged back into the server, the Ventrilo server window now shows several entries that MSG_CONN was accepted, but did not log in before the time out. So it seems the Telnet test works.

My server is Windows Home Server, based on Server 2003. There are no QoS options anywhere with the network properties. They exist on my vista machine, but not on the server.

There is no VPN software on the server, that I know of. Can anyone running WHS confirm this??

I installed the Vent client on the server computer, and it connects to the test server just fine.

I can't test safe mode until tonight. I'll get back to you then with that info.

Thanks for your ongoing assistance. I hope we can figure this out.
Old 01-09-2009, 02:12 PM   #10
grit621

After reading reddeath38's post here [URL]http://www.ventrilo.com/forums/showthread.php?t=33319&highlight=localhost[/URL], I changed my router, and now my local problems seem to be resolved. However, no one outside my LAN can connect via internet. I've tried both my current dynamic ip address as well as a dynamic DNS hosting service.

Suggestions?

UPDATE - I disabled Stateful Packet Inspection on the router, and now it works. I'd rather NOT disable SPI though, so can anyone offer a suggestion on how to circumvent this?

2ND UPDATE - Now it works, no changes made. I rebooted the router (AGAIN), and this time it took. Odd thing was that the first time, it worked momentarily, then stopped. I can't get anyone outside to test it right now, but it seems to work.

If someone here doens't mind, i'd appreciate if you'd try to log in. grit.dlinkddns.com port is 3784.

Thanks

Last edited by grit621; 01-09-2009 at 03:07 PM.