Ventrilo Tech Support  

Go Back   Ventrilo Tech Support > Main Category > Server

Old 04-20-2010, 02:16 AM   #1
Phrenzy

Default Cannot connect to server once I chance the ini file

I have an XP desktop and a Windows 2000 server in my network that I intend to use Ventrilo on. My plan is to install the client on the XP computer and run the Ventrilo server software on the 2000 server.

I installed the server software on the 2000 machine, piece of cake. I then installed the client on the XP machine. I wanted to test it, so I installed the client software on a laptop. It took a bit of configuring on the client side, but I was able to hear myself on the laptop from the XP desktop.

I then installed the server software as a service and tested it. Still worked fine. So I shut down the server & I updated the ini file. I changed the name, phonetic, and password fields. I started the service and tried to test it. I could not connect to the server. I double-checked the password and tried it again, still no luck. I changed the ini file back to the default setting, still nothing. I uninstalled the server software, rebooted the machine & reinstalled. I still could not connect.

So I installed the server software on the laptop. I could connect with no issues using both the XP and laptop client software. So I went back to the server, uninstalled the software, & deleted the c:\program files\ventsrv folder. I then rebooted the server and tried again, still no luck. So I repeated the above steps and deleted the registry settings in HK_LM\software\(vent or something or other). I then rebooted and reinstalled. I still couldnít get it to work.

After each install, I could get the server software to run; I just couldnít connect to it. I did try to run it as an app while I it was running as a service. When I did this, the app said it could not run. This tells me that both the app and the service software are using the correct port.

Each time I tested the server software on the 2000 machine, I also tested the server software on the laptop. The server software on the laptop would connect without fail. The server software on the 2000 machine never worked after I made the ini edits. During my troubleshooting, I did very little editing of the ini file on the 2000 machine.

So at this stage, I figured that some was messed up with my Windows 2000 machine. So I installed the server software on my XP desktop. I could get the XP machine & the laptop to connect to both the server running on the XP desktop as well as the laptop. So, silly me, I wanted to change the ini file. Once again, I change the name, phonetic, and password fields. Then, just as before, I could not connect to the server installed on the XP machine! I installed the software, looked for the registry settings, and deleted the c:\program files\ventsrv folder. I saw no registry settings because I did not install it as a service. (Iím guessing) As a last resort, I copied the ini file from the working server on the laptop to the server software running on the XP machine with no luck.

So this is what it is not:

It is not a router, because all 3 machines are on the same LAN.
It is not firewall software, because if it was, I would not be able to connect to the server software running on the laptop.
It is not a wireless issue, because all three computers are wired to the network.
It is not a mic or headphone issue, because these items would work while connected via the laptop server software.
It is most likely not a DNS/DHCP issue. The 2000 server handles both DNS/DHCP and WINS thrown in for good measure. I was able to ping each machine from every other machine.

Like I said, at one time, the server software worked perfectly on all three machines at one time or another. Once I edited the ini file on both the XP machine and the 2000 server, the Ventrilo software quit working and never worked again even after many reinstalls.

I did check the port setting on the client side countless times. I also checked the password setting on the client side many, many times. When connecting to the server, depending on which server I was connecting to, I would use the ip address, the DNS name, as well as 127.0.0.1. The result was always the same.

On the server side, everything looks fine. The software would start, and it would appear as though it was ready to accept clients.

Any help would be appreciated.
Phrenzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 11:19 AM   #2
Prog-Rocker
just tryin to help

when you set the password in the INI file did you also set Auth=1
Prog-Rocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 12:30 PM   #3
Phrenzy

Right now I am not using a password. I am just trying to get the client software to connect to a vanilla server install.
Old 04-20-2010, 04:54 PM   #4
Phrenzy

Ok. I don't know what happened. But it just works now.

Thank you for listening.