Ventrilo Tech Support  

Go Back   Ventrilo Tech Support > Main Category > Windows Client

Old 12-04-2005, 01:28 AM   #1
titansniper

Default Running Ventrilo as a service

How can I run my Ventrilo Client as a service in msconfig so it starts up on its own? is there a parameter at the end of the Target Line?
titansniper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2005, 01:29 AM   #2
titansniper

ps I have XP Pro
Old 12-04-2005, 01:37 AM   #3
livewire

Once you have downloaded the appropriate server program you can follow these steps to get a default server up and running ASAP.

Windows platform:

1) Download and execute the latest Ventrilo Windows Server. This will create an entry in your Start menu called "VentSrv".

2) From the "VentSrv" menu click the "Ventrilo Server" menu option. This will open a console window application that the server will run in.

This will start the server using default settings which should be more then sufficient for the normal user.

The ventrilo server does not have a GUI interface. All output will occur in the console window.

To change the configuration of the server simply click Start -> VentSrv -> Edit INI file. This will open the server INI configuration file using the Notepad program. Make the necessary changes, save the file and restart the server. The INI file is documented in the "Setup Documentation" menu option.

The server can be started in the background on the NT / 2000 / XP platforms via a service program. First make sure you have the server configured properly and in a usable state as shown above because once you start it as a service you will not see any visual feedback. You need only click on the VentSrv -> Service -> Install menu option once after installing the program. The next time you reboot your computer the server will be automatically started in the background as a Service application.
livewire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2005, 01:45 AM   #4
titansniper

Quote:
Originally Posted by livewire
Once you have downloaded the appropriate server program you can follow these steps to get a default server up and running ASAP.

Windows platform:

1) Download and execute the latest Ventrilo Windows Server. This will create an entry in your Start menu called "VentSrv".

2) From the "VentSrv" menu click the "Ventrilo Server" menu option. This will open a console window application that the server will run in.

This will start the server using default settings which should be more then sufficient for the normal user.

The ventrilo server does not have a GUI interface. All output will occur in the console window.

To change the configuration of the server simply click Start -> VentSrv -> Edit INI file. This will open the server INI configuration file using the Notepad program. Make the necessary changes, save the file and restart the server. The INI file is documented in the "Setup Documentation" menu option.

The server can be started in the background on the NT / 2000 / XP platforms via a service program. First make sure you have the server configured properly and in a usable state as shown above because once you start it as a service you will not see any visual feedback. You need only click on the VentSrv -> Service -> Install menu option once after installing the program. The next time you reboot your computer the server will be automatically started in the background as a Service application.
I dont know if i stated but Im asking about how to make the Ventrilo CLIENT run as a NT/XP/2000 service. I do not use a freeware ventserver at this time.
Old 12-04-2005, 01:49 AM   #5
livewire

oh ok sorry it's late and i'm tired didn't completly read lol my bad
livewire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2005, 01:56 AM   #6
titansniper

well do you know how to do such a thing hehe is it so late that you forget to reply with answer !hahaha silly man tag you're in in forum land
Old 12-04-2005, 07:00 PM   #7
titansniper

did anyone have an answer to this hehe