Ventrilo Tech Support  

Go Back   Ventrilo Tech Support > Main Category > Windows Client

Old 10-04-2009, 04:59 AM   #1
cosine83

Default Bluetooth headphones + Vent + Winamp + WoW

So, I've had these [URL="http://tinyurl.com/aqtnc8"]Motorola S805[/URL] bluetooth (referred to as BT later) headphones for a few months now but haven't seen great use until recently when my wired headset/headphones died. I wanted to share my observations and research with the Ventrilo community, although this may not be specific to the Windows client (I'm using Windows 7 RC with no other audio problems in Vent). Please note that I am using a BT adapter that does support the A2DP profile and using the WIDCOMM Bluetooth drivers available from Broadcom.

Since they're seeing a good amount of use now I've only run into one problem - stereo audio when using VoIP programs like Vent and Skype. I often play video games on my PC or laptop while listening to music. I also run Vent just to chat with WoW guild mates. The only problem is that VoIP programs seem to call the Hands-free audio/headset BT profiles for both audio and voice. Why this is a problem is because it automatically adjusts any audio going into the headphones to 64kbps mono audio. With Winamp running nice clear music one second and then the music automatically being jumped down to 64kbps mono music is a bit jarring and very annoying. The profile remains in use while Vent is connected to a server. Windows starts using the A2DP profile when Vent's setup window is open and when it isn't connected.

The only thing I don't really quite know is if it is possible for a program to use two BT profiles for, seemingly, two audio streams. My ideal situation is to have nice, high quality audio coming in while being able to use the microphone on my headphones. As it stands, that doesn't seem possible on PCs quite yet (or is it?). I know if I'm playing music on my phone (Samsung Instinct) my music can play in the background of a call and still sound good despite the loss in volume and I hear the person in high quality stereo.

I know most people that use BT headsets for VoIP on their PCs only use a single ear headset but I think stereo headsets/headphones need some more love and support. I don't know how a program or Windows determines which profile it will load up when a BT device is being used as the primary audio in/out source.

Perhaps this is just a problem with the Windows BT stack and how it handles profiles for certain activities or maybe it's the program. I don't know but I would like some clarification, if possible. I've spent a while searching Google and can't really find anything conclusive or remotely close.
cosine83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 01:07 PM   #2
wazzu24

bump?

same issue, why cant vent work with bluetooth ughhhh
wazzu24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 11:31 PM   #3
wazzu24

any ideas? ventrilo support? people want to use bluetooth stereo headsets with ventrilo
wazzu24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 10:32 PM   #4
Ludious

bump.

I'm sorry for bumping such an old post but this is EXACTLY my problem the -only- exception is that I'm using a nokia headset, but it utilizes the same drivers.

I don't understand why the moment I activate Vent, my sound goes to mono. It sucks. It really sucks. It's infuriating sucktitude.

Any answers?
Ludious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 09:53 AM   #5
Prog-Rocker
just tryin to help

from what I've seen, bluetooth is limited to 2 channels for audio streams. it can either do stereo audio or mono audio with voice.

i just got a motorola nano BT 3.0+ and the driver only gives those 2 options.
Prog-Rocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 10:18 AM   #6
Flagship
Administrator

If you want high quality wireless headset with stereo / 5.1 / 7.1 with integrated microphone I would strongly recommend the following:

Logitech G930 headset.
[URL]http://www.logitech.com/en-us/gaming/headsets/devices/7248[/URL]

Last edited by Flagship; 12-16-2010 at 11:09 AM.
Flagship is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 10:44 AM   #7
Prog-Rocker
just tryin to help

Quote:
Logitech G930 headset
I'll second that. I was very impressed with the sound quality and noted the difference the first time I used this headset. (and i've had many different headsets)
Prog-Rocker is offline   Reply With Quote