Ventrilo Tech Support  

Go Back   Ventrilo Tech Support > Main Category > Windows Client

Old 02-25-2009, 04:23 PM   #101
Banok

If anyone using t-mobile Web'n'walk has got vent working could you please post detailed, idiot proof instructions on how!

thanks banok
Banok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 04:30 PM   #102
Andrastie

Ok, sounds like you may have a router issue, if you are using a router, of any sorts please reply on what router you have, heres a default router solution for a LINKSYS router, do step by step

Open a Web Browser, Type in 192.168.1.1
Should ask for a Username and a Password
Default user name "Admin"
Default Password "Admin"
After this it should bring you to a page for Linksys
On the top Bar there is a "Applications and Gaming" tab, click that
From top Left to top Right, put these things in
Vent1 3784 3784 BOTH 1(in the small box) and check the ENABLE box

This should enable your router to let a connection through to the specific port for Ventrilo Client

NOT FOR BANOK sorry
Andrastie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 12:22 PM   #103
Demonclaw

I was also getting the same issue and tried all of the various mentioned fixes with no joy so I contacted my isp (Road Runner) to see if they were blocking the ports needed to contact my server and Tech Lvl 4 said they have a known problem with their Netgear wireless modem in the firewall. Their fix is for me to return this modem to the service center and pickup an SMC Router and a reg modem. I have not done so as of yet but i will soon and if that clears an issue with RR i will post back.
Good luck all.
Demonclaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 12:51 PM   #104
rasto

@ cooldude

I upgraded to web and walk max and now i can connect to ventrilo fine and dandy everytime, However getting rather annoying connection spikes, but that isnt a vent issue

Would be nice if a mod could put this in the sticky about contacting server,

Essentailly T-mobile mobile broadband customers can only connect to Ventrilo if on there "web and walk max" plan, the others are now blocked.
rasto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 03:34 PM   #105
timmytibbs

Default hi

hey could you kind fellows do the honour of having this server or whatever its called, its empty so if you want you can use it. my friend wants more people in it

hostname: voice400.inx-gaming.co.uk

port: 5949

thanks guys. im new so i dont know whether this is allowed or not
timmytibbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 05:56 AM   #106
RKMX52

Default Windows 7 , Killer Nic, Ventrilo

This may be one of the first few regarding this problem, but I am using Windows 7 Beta 7000 and had this issue(MSG: Contacting Server) countless times. Hopefully I help some of you out with this information because this has been a frustrating problem.

The first time I was able to fix Ventrilo was by doing a re-wipe of new O/S, thinking it was a registry issue. The program ran fine, I was able to connect to any server, but the problem came back AGAIN few days after.

Going back to the problem.. my Ventrilo has ALWAYS worked fine. On XP & Vista 64, I've had no problems with Ventrilo what-so-ever. But in this scenario now, I have 2 new things that were a little on the iffy status - Windows 7 Beta(which has been running stable and should be similar to Vista - but it is still Beta) and Killer K1 NIC. On my first install of Windows 7 everything was working fine, including Ventrilo itself. It also worked fine with my virus scanner(AVG 8.5) and Spybot S&D, Windows Defender & Firewall. The problem occured out of nowhere, like when I was asleep or when the system was idle or something. This already means that it SHOULDN'T be my firewall or virus scanner, since Ventrilo has worked before with them active, unless the firewall or virus scanner updated itself during idle and the new update has unknown conflicts and whatnot. I've tried everything, from taking a look at the ports, removing AVG / Spybot, disabling countless services in Task Manager and removing Start-Up problems with MSCONFIG, disabling Windows Firewall/Defender and etc. NOTHING worked. Ventrilo was unable to connect to any server, it would be stuck on the message "MSG: Contacting Server".

After few hours of messing around with the system in desperation, there was one thing that made Ventrilo work. Safe Mode worked just fine, no problem at all. Since Safe Mode only ran the minimal services and literally no start-up programs, I tried to disable those unneeded services in Services / MSCONFIG and funny enough, still didn't work. Ventrilo connected to servers fine in Safe Mode but not in Normal Mode. SO I started looking around the box and looking at security..

After countless hours I was able to fix my Ventrilo... my solution was

1. Right-Click Ventrilo.exe
2. Go to Security Tab
3. Click on your user name that you are logged into right now.
4. Click Edit to change permissions.. click on Full Control for your account and re-boot.

What I believe is that Safe Mode uses the user name SYSTEM, which has full access to everything as well as Administrator. When I looked at this at first, there was 3 accounts, SYSTEM, Administrator, and my account. The account that I was logged onto only had 2 permissions, Read/Write(which should be enough...) but after giving it Full Control for Ventrilo, it worked! I couldn't understand it because this was my ONLY account and it already had built-in administrator, so I didn't expect to have some programs with only limited access.

Anyway, this may or may not have helped you, but I think its better than nothing as I searched for a solution on this problem and came across nothing but questions with no answers.
RKMX52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 09:34 AM   #107
Laras

I am also having this problem I've run the telnet thing and all it says in connection failed, but dont know why it fails, I've run vent in safe mode, ive made sure all the info is correct, its not a router problem because i had another computer beside me that i tested it on and it worked fine, I have deleted my old appdata, I've done everything that about 50 forums has said and no luck. Some one please help.
Laras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 12:14 AM   #108
Zaknafane

Default Unablet to proceed past "Contacing Server"

Hello all, this is my first post and will be a rather lengthy one. I have disovered the problem which prevents some users with routers from accessing Ventrilo.

The problem lies in ports which are used by Ventrilo that are not listed by the ventrilo team. Posted is a list of ports as well as protocols that will either need to be opened or forwarded. This will also apply for any person running a firewall. All of the examples that follow are for those of you using Linux with iptables/conn_track however, the same will apply to other firewalls as well. If you need directions specific to your case, feel free to let me know. So, without further adu,

Port Direction Protocol
5000 Destination udp
Serv Port Destination udp
Serv Port Destination tcp
6100 Destination udp

Port 5000 is required for checking if the server is up or not. It is of the udp protocol and should be opened either to (all/anywhere) [insecure] or (lan ip of connecting computer w/o any netmask) [secure].

Serv Port is actually whatever port your server uses, 5036 in my case. It is used for communication between the server and your computer. The required protocols are both tcp and udp. TCP seems to be used during authentication whereas udp is used for the general communication. TCP and UDP should be opened either to (all/anywhere) [insecure] or (lan ip of connecting computer w/o any netmask) [secure].

Port 6100 is required for synchronization with the server. It is of the udp protocol and should be opened either to (all/anywhere) [insecure] or (lan ip of connecting computer w/o any netmask) [secure].

Following is a list of commands for Linux users whose router firewall is iptables:

iptables -I FORWARD -p udp --dport 5000 -j ACCEPT
iptables -I FORWARD -p udp --dport -j ACCEPT
iptables -I FORWARD -p tcp --dport -j ACCEPT
iptables -I FORWARD -p udp --dport 6100 -j ACCEPT

Note that is the location in the chain of which you want to insert said rule. If you have a rule blocking all communication it should come before said rule. is the port on which your server runs.

Again, if anyone needs clarification or steps specific to there computer/OS please let me know and I will provide any help possible.

Zaknafane.
Zaknafane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 01:06 PM   #109
Laras

I have been toying with this problem a lot and I have read so much about forwarding ports turning ports on and the list goes on and on. I am not a very technical guy so what I am about to say may fall into a category of what the problem actually is. All I know is that I have found lots of connection information where people have posted saying try this and eventually I found a port that works. Now for the diagnostic, and I have no clue if this applies to everyone having this problem, but for me there is definately something blocking the port that I am needing to log onto since other random ports work. Now if anyone knows how to find out what is blocking it and how to unblock it let me know. I have already enabled ports 5000 and 6100 i've turned off firewalls basically any thing that some one has mentioned trying I have done and no dice. So if anyone has an idea of how to stop a port from being blocked let me know because i think i'm planning on calling my internet provider or something like that and getting them to help, but again if anyone knows how to unblock ports I need very detailed instructions. And to those of you having this same problem good luck to you this is absolutely insane and very frustrating. Oh anyone talking about a router issue I dont think thats my case here because I had another lap top sitting right beside me on the same wireless connection that connected fine to the port and host that I was needing on my computer.
Laras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 12:05 PM   #110
Zaknafane

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laras View Post
I have been toying with this problem a lot and I have read so much about forwarding ports turning ports on and the list goes on and on. I am not a very technical guy so what I am about to say may fall into a category of what the problem actually is. All I know is that I have found lots of connection information where people have posted saying try this and eventually I found a port that works. Now for the diagnostic, and I have no clue if this applies to everyone having this problem, but for me there is definately something blocking the port that I am needing to log onto since other random ports work. Now if anyone knows how to find out what is blocking it and how to unblock it let me know. I have already enabled ports 5000 and 6100 i've turned off firewalls basically any thing that some one has mentioned trying I have done and no dice. So if anyone has an idea of how to stop a port from being blocked let me know because i think i'm planning on calling my internet provider or something like that and getting them to help, but again if anyone knows how to unblock ports I need very detailed instructions. And to those of you having this same problem good luck to you this is absolutely insane and very frustrating. Oh anyone talking about a router issue I dont think thats my case here because I had another lap top sitting right beside me on the same wireless connection that connected fine to the port and host that I was needing on my computer.
If you would be willing to list your Operating System (Windows, Linux, Mac), and what version/revision within the Operating System I will try to help you to unblock the proper ports for your specific setup.

Zaknafane
Zaknafane is offline   Reply With Quote