Ventrilo Tech Support  

Go Back   Ventrilo Tech Support > Main Category > Windows Client

Old 09-03-2014, 09:56 PM   #1
XstreetX

Default Complete unusable vent lag

After like 15 minutes of perfect usage, my friends vent starts to lag up like crazy. The whole sentence she says gets broken up and takes forever to come through. During this, she can still hear me perfectly fine telling her that she is lagging on my end. She eventually disconnects by closing the program after I've said that she is lagging. She then reopens and reconnects, and it keeps her "other self" still connected for a while longer before finally leaving. I think at one point I saw 3 of her logged in at once lol. She said during this lag time also that her ping still stays relatively low under 100 70% of the time, but will see it shoot up into the thousands during it also at times.
XstreetX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 10:10 PM   #2
Prog-Rocker
just tryin to help

there's a couple possibilities that might be causing the lag. the vent ping spiking into the thousands usually indicates a network problem somewhere along the netpath

1. her isp has implemented packet-shaping that's is causing the lag. the only thing she can do is contact them and ask.

2. her bandwidth is being throttled. perform a speed test at www.speedtest.net

3. her router is throttling her internet connection. try power-cycling the router

have her post a tracert to the server when it happens:

start > run
cmd {hit enter}
tracert serverhostname(found in server setup)

(example: tracert nobelium.typefrag.com )
Prog-Rocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 10:19 PM   #3
XstreetX

Ill give her this list of things to try.

As for her ISP, she has the same company as me, but is in a different part of town that's more rural and I'm actually in the city.
Old 09-03-2014, 11:42 PM   #4
XstreetX

So trying the few things, the tracert didn't give much help, if anything numbers were lower while lagging. She didn't wanna do any speed test things cause mom was online, so whatever... Then when she went to send me a pic of the tracert, she instantly started lagging. Took the phone off the network, and we haven't had any issues for a good hour so far.