Ventrilo Tech Support  

Go Back   Ventrilo Tech Support > Main Category > Windows Client

Old 02-07-2007, 01:17 PM   #31
Ur-Jack

I personally stand behind Wade's analysis and agree that it is unlikely to be a porblem with either the client or the server applications. The system has been in operation for too long with a high operational record for this to be the case, and frankly, if it were a problem with either application it has been seen far too few times for it to be tracked. This really does seem like an isolated case.

For your first point, I would hazard a guess that the server you use is making use of the client inactivity feture. If a user makes no use over a nominated period of time the server can kick you if set up to do so.

As for the other main point, I would suggest every user who is experiencing this phenomenon to run a 'pathping' to really test out the route to the server with which they are having the problem. I know you said you work in the industry but this is for the benefit of other readers who may not know - to do a path ping open the Dos prompt window and execute the following:

Code:
pathping xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx > ventpath.txt
Replace 'xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx' with either the IP address of hostname of the vent server. The test runs a series of ping tests to every hop along the route and can take up tp 10 minutes to complete so can be a good time to get a cup of coffee in the meantime. Once the test finishes the cursor will return to the dos prompt window, at this point you can close it down. The results will be saved into a text file called 'ventpath.txt' and will be in your users root directory (perform a directory search if you are not sure where this is - again, for unsure people reading this).

The point of this test is to get a good idea of how efficient every hop in the route really is, helping to further diagnose network problems which I strongly believe is at the root of these troubles. In the event that it is not netowrk trouble, we have at least eliminated it as a possiblity.
Ur-Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2007, 10:52 PM   #32
netrbrunet

OK, here is the result of my pathping. I have editted the first few and final IP addresses and names, but the stats are as-is. The only thing I notice is hop 11 has a 4% drop. The other 100% drops area clearly due to the fact that my ISP does not respond to ICMP messages.

Again, the issue seems to be two fold. First, random disconnects, BUT only if I don't talk for 1-2 minutes. Second, sometimes when I push talk (to prevent the disconnect) I get a large buffer of traffic empty out on me (all speach without any pause between transmitions). I am still unclear how the second issue could be network related - it must be bufferred in either the server or the client - but if you can give me a diagnoses that would be great.
If there are other details that I could provide you, let me know.

Thanks.

---------------------------------------------------

Tracing route to y.y.y.y over a maximum of 30 hops

0 yyyyyy.phub.net.cable.rogers.com [10.0.0.112]

1 10.150.54.1

2 10.150.54.1

3 yyyy.rchrd.phub.net.cable.rogers.com [x.x.90.113]

4 yyyy.rchrd.phub.net.cable.rogers.com [x.x.83.181]

5 yyyy.slnt.phub.net.cable.rogers.com [x.x.82.134]

6 yyyy.mtnk.phub.net.cable.rogers.com [x.x.80.170]

7 yyyy.ktgc.phub.net.cable.rogers.com [x.x.81.102]

8 so-0-0-0.ar2.NYC1.gblx.net [64.209.94.53]

9 so7-0-0-2488M.ar2.SEA1.gblx.net [67.17.71.185]

10 ge-2.swift.gblx.net [64.215.184.162]

11 208.99.210.61

12 208.99.210.6

13 y.y.y.y

Computing statistics for 325 seconds...

Source to Here This Node/Link

Hop RTT Lost/Sent = Pct Lost/Sent = Pct Address

0 yyyyy.phub.net.cable.rogers.com [10.0.0.112]

0/ 100 = 0% |

1 --- 100/ 100 =100% 100/ 100 =100% 10.150.54.1

0/ 100 = 0% |

2 --- 100/ 100 =100% 100/ 100 =100% 10.150.54.1

0/ 100 = 0% |

3 --- 100/ 100 =100% 100/ 100 =100% yyyy.rchrd.phub.net.cable.rogers.com [x.x.90.113]

0/ 100 = 0% |

4 --- 100/ 100 =100% 100/ 100 =100% yyyy.rchrd.phub.net.cable.rogers.com [x.x.83.181]

0/ 100 = 0% |

5 --- 100/ 100 =100% 100/ 100 =100% yyyy.slnt.phub.net.cable.rogers.com [x.x.82.134]

0/ 100 = 0% |

6 --- 100/ 100 =100% 100/ 100 =100% yyyy.mtnk.phub.net.cable.rogers.com [x.x.80.170]

0/ 100 = 0% |

7 --- 100/ 100 =100% 100/ 100 =100% yyyy.ktgc.phub.net.cable.rogers.com [x.x.81.102]

0/ 100 = 0% |

8 29ms 0/ 100 = 0% 0/ 100 = 0% so-0-0-0.ar2.NYC1.gblx.net [64.209.94.53]

0/ 100 = 0% |

9 124ms 0/ 100 = 0% 0/ 100 = 0% so7-0-0-2488M.ar2.SEA1.gblx.net [67.17.71.185]

0/ 100 = 0% |

10 122ms 0/ 100 = 0% 0/ 100 = 0% ge-2.swift.gblx.net [64.215.184.162]

0/ 100 = 0% |

11 113ms 4/ 100 = 4% 4/ 100 = 4% 208.99.210.61

0/ 100 = 0% |

12 109ms 0/ 100 = 0% 0/ 100 = 0% 208.99.210.6

0/ 100 = 0% |

13 107ms 0/ 100 = 0% 0/ 100 = 0% y.y.y.y

Trace complete.
netrbrunet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2007, 11:39 PM   #33
Ur-Jack

As you've pointed out, the only place for concern is that 4% packet loss hop. It appears towards the destination in your trace so I would be tempted to give the IP address of it to the vent server providor and as if it be cause for any concern as it may be within reach of their own netowrk infrastructure. It may be nothing, with such a low rate of packet loss, but it could also be indicative of a faulty switch or some other piece of equipment in the data centre, which will make the server behave nastily. Always worth asking I believe.

Buffering of delayed transmissions, still definitely network related. Around a year and half ago I had my router start to burn itself out. Circuitry was overheating due to a capacitor failing and drawing too much current, causing the router to cease operation temporarily before coming back to life. If I were connected to a ventrilo server at this time, all transmissions that were broadcast during my period of 'zombie' (for want of a better word) were held back until my client was ready to receive. Once it was able, all transmissions flooded in all at once much like you have described. Exactly where the transmission was buffered I can't say, most likely to be the server awaiting confirmation that a client is ready to receive info but Flagship would be the one to make such a confirmation.

So based on my exerience (not gospel word by any means) I'd say your symptoms are as a reult of network issues. Admittedly, I was expecting to see more trouble in your pathping output but as I mentioned before, it still may indicate a problem and is worth investigating.
Ur-Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2007, 03:56 PM   #34
netrbrunet

I might just be stubborn, but I don't see this as a serious network issue for a few reasons:
1. Other applicaitons do not experience this isssue. WoW has an in-game ping monitor, and I don't see any rise when I have my Vent issues.
2. I know that some ISPs traiffc shape, but this is generally done by port. And the Vent server I'm on is aon a non-default port, so my ISP would not be monitoring this port.
3. I have performed several tracert and pathping and nothing serious shows up. The location of the 4% loss occasionaly shows something, but if a hop that close to the server was faulty, then ALL users connecting to the server would have issues - I am the only one.
4. The regularity of the disconnect, and the fact that I don't get disconnected as long as I transmit every 60 seconds. If it was a netwok issue then I would get disconnected regardless if I am transmitting evry 60 seconds or not.

The only argument that I can see to it being a network issue is the following:
If, when I attempt to transmit, the Vent client sees that a disconnect has occurred (due to network issues, the connection was dropped), then it will attempt to establish a new connection to the server (new socket creation). If the server accepts this as the same client (maybe matches IP addr or some client identifier) and is within a certain timeout then I get the bufferred stream, otherwise I the connection is refused and I need to start from scratch. The problem is of course that my network connection doesn't show signs of flakey-ness.

I suspect that there is some sort of timeout occuring between my client and the server. (If I reconnect soon enough, I get a stream of buferred speach, otherwise I simply rejoin the channel). I see minimal control in the client interface regarding my server connection, but I suspect there is more that can be done on the server. To this end, can you please give me some ideas to fiddle with on the server side? I can get in touch with the server admin and see if he can either tweak the settings or maybe provide me some logs of what is happenning on the server end. What settings and logs can I ask him to look into for me?

Also, I will capture a netstat output before and after my disconnect issue. This will hopefully provide some more info - i will post it tonight once I am online again. Does vent use UDP or TCP connections?

Last edited by netrbrunet; 02-19-2007 at 03:59 PM.
Old 02-24-2007, 08:58 AM   #35
netrbrunet

Here is what I see from netstat [netstat -b -s -p TCP]. I had this running in a loop and was collecting stats every 10 seconds. I waited long enough that I knew a disconnect had occurred, and then I pressed 'talk'. As usual, I got auto-reconnected and the stats on netstat transitioned as below (port change on local side). Note that the remioander of the logs are consistant (I didn't post the several hundred entries collected). The state of the connection is always 'CONNECTED' which indicated to me that the TCP connection was never down, otherwise the connection state would have changed.

Additionally, I saw one similair transition several minutes before this (port change on local vent connection). Why did this new connection get created on its own? Maybe it sensed a disconnect and tried to auto-reconnect... BUT I didn't hear/see anything like that happen (never do unless I press 'talk'). And if it did a silent reconnect then it didn't do it successfully - geiven the fact that I wasn't actuallly connected once I pressed 'talk'.

I am not looking to lace blame here or call Vent a 'crappy' product or anything else of the sort. I simply would like to have a stable connection. What can I do to achieve this? Are there any server-side settings that I can ask the admin to make/test or logs I can view or send?

TIme t ----------------------------------------

TCP Statistics for IPv4

Active Opens = 200
Passive Opens = 846
Failed Connection Attempts = 1
Reset Connections = 184
Current Connections = 2
Segments Received = 18392
Segments Sent = 12425
Segments Retransmitted = 15

Active Connections

Proto Local Address Foreign Address State PID
TCP :netbios-ssn 10.0.0.100:xxxxx ESTABLISHED 4
[System]

TCP :1253 208.99.xxx.xx:3887 ESTABLISHED 3720
[Ventrilo.exe]

TIme t + 10 seconds (pressed talk in the meantime) ----------------------------------------

TCP Statistics for IPv4

Active Opens = 201
Passive Opens = 847
Failed Connection Attempts = 1
Reset Connections = 185
Current Connections = 2
Segments Received = 18426
Segments Sent = 12456
Segments Retransmitted = 15

Active Connections

Proto Local Address Foreign Address State PID
TCP :netbios-ssn 10.0.0.100:xxxxx ESTABLISHED 4
[System]

TCP :1274 208.99.xxx.xx:3887 ESTABLISHED 3720
[Ventrilo.exe]
Old 02-25-2007, 11:18 AM   #36
Lusule

Default Periodic Disconnects

If anyone has found a solution to this problem, I'd be really grateful.

I suddenly developed it today - I was absolutely fine yesterday, and I haven't changed any settings. My boyfriend, who plays on the same network, does not seem to have any problems at all, so it must be local to my computer.

It's got worse - it started that I was getting disconnected every 5-10 minutes - now I can't go 30 secs without disconnecting, and after I disconnect it won't connect me again for another 5 minutes, it just times out. After 5 minutes, I can get in, but I'll be disconnected again straight away. (And by disconnect, I mean hanging and eventual disconnection).

I have tried reinstalling, and tried using the beta, and nothing.

I'm not very technically literate, but I heavily rely on vent for chatting to people and I feel quite lost without it >< Any advice is
Lusule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2007, 11:30 AM   #37
netrbrunet

Question

Just a *bump*.
Still hoping for some server-side setting or logs that can be examined.
Old 04-07-2007, 07:11 AM   #38
Saroth

Hi -

I am having a similar issue with disconnects but it only happens when i use my Push to Talk button. I can sit in a channel and listen to people forever. I can even talk fairly regularly without issue. But every now and then I will push my talk button and get kicked from the server and then reconnect automatically. This sometimes will happen several times in a row and other times will be very few and far between.

I have run vent in the past without issue. This does happen when I play WoW, and I have also tried upgrading to Beta in hopes it would fix it (like some other users in this thread) without any luck.

I am currently running the pathping suggested earlier in the thread and only had a 1% loss on one node. All the rest were 100%.

Does anyone have any suggestions?
Saroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2007, 08:02 PM   #39
Copan

I see I am not the only one that is having this issue. Too bad no one has a resolution to the problem. netrbrunet you explained just the situation I am having.

Although I did not have this problem from the begining, as I have been using vent for over maybe 2 years now. At the moment I suspect the client, ie windows, is at fault here somehow. Yes it could be network. I find it interesting that so many can have the exact same sympthoms. There has to be some type of systematic reason for this.

I also have a Linksys router BEFSR41.

I have noted that "Internet Connections" under Network connections also periodically fails, and the re-establishes while I am using vent. It is at the point where it trys to re-establish that Vent drops me. Trying to hunt down the root cause of this.

Anyone else having this issue use their pc as a Media Center to record shows, and also have their xbox360 set up as an extender?

Quote:
Originally Posted by netrbrunet View Post
I have only recently begun to use Vent, but have had this disconnect issue the entire time. Every 5 minutes or so I get disconnected. However, I find that as long as I transmit somehting (even just press 'talk' and say nothing) every few minutes that I can stay on much longer - it seems when I force activity it helps prevent the connection from going stale.

Additionally, I have occasionally get large segments of bufferred incoming messages...

I have a LinkSys router at home...

Last edited by Copan; 04-11-2007 at 08:08 PM.
Copan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2007, 04:48 AM   #40
furydeath

I'm having the same thing going on. Was fine one week and now cant do crap. I'm even hook right to the modem adn it still is dcing ever 15-30 secs.
furydeath is offline   Reply With Quote