Ventrilo Tech Support  

Go Back   Ventrilo Tech Support > Main Category > Windows Client

Closed Thread

Old 10-08-2008, 08:36 AM   #41
Zeknichov

Releasing and renewing the lan ip vis the router.
Cloning your mac address.
Unplugging the modem for an hour and plugging it back in.
Getting a new modem.
Old 10-17-2008, 10:51 PM   #42
Zeknichov

I'm just wondering if anyone has had any success with Shaw? I've decided to switch to Telus since their new 6mbit connection is bearable compared to the prior top of the line 3mbit connection. I'll miss my 20mbit connection but the traffic shaping has gotten out of hand with Shaw. I cannot play games and run utorrent at the same time while only using 10% of my bandwidth and my ping is much higher in FPS games (without running utorrent) compared to my friends who go through Telus so I've had it with Shaw. I called in and asked to speak to someone who delt with their traffic shaping and I may as well have called in and asked to speak with the president of the United States.
Old 10-24-2008, 12:15 AM   #43
Goeser

I live in Vancouver and use Shaw as my ISP. I have only recently been having these ping problems. But, just like most of the others who have posted, I start with a nice low ping ~40 and shoot up as high as 90k ms. No one else on the server experiences the lag.
Old 10-28-2008, 12:22 AM   #44
blyndem

Yeap. Having the exact same problem, can hear everyone in vent fine, but when I talk I get skyrocketed pings in the 1000k-90000k range...

I'm also sure its shaw.. that would seem to make the most sense, as I too have gone through everything searching for the problem...

I am located in Thunder Bay, Ontario and have just recently started recieving this problem a few days ago. I never had the problem before with 2.3.x

Checked the router, computer, soundcard, modem, firewalls, software, connection speed/ping, vent on high priority ETC. I have done EVERYTHING.
The most recent attempt was deleting bittorrent off of another computer on my lan, and then phoning shaw (20 MINS ON HOLD BTW), and getting the guy to reset modem and ip/mac address.
I am STILL recieving high pings and I'm at a standstill.

Not the first time ive had problems with shaw.. but this really made me quite angry. Would LOVE to hear of a fix, perhaps something I did wrong? ..i'll do anything to get vent working again ...sigh.
Old 10-29-2008, 03:30 PM   #45
blyndem

Smile Solution.

SUCESS.

I've actually fixed the problem after working on it for quite a while.

I uninstalled bittorrent off of my other computer on the LAN first. Like, completely cleaned it out, reg files, background things running, and all. After that I found a program, called SMAC I believe, that changes your software MAC address on the network card your using (not really sure if this helped at all). Finally I released my IP via my d-link wireless router, and then unplugged both the modem and router overnight (8 hours). Doing this sucessfully granted me a NEW IP from shaw. (I also know there are other ways to obtain a new IP but this method works the best for me.)

SO.
If you are having this problem and still have not found a fix i sugest doing these steps.

1. COMPLETELY remove the torrent client. (Bittorrent, uTorrent etc.)
2. (Not sure if this always is needed but I would sugest it) "spoof" your MAC address and obtain a different one. Do this using a program, router, MAC cloning etc.
3. Release your old IP and do what you need to do to obtain a new one. (Once again various ways of doing this.)

Hopefully this will solve the ping issues and return vent to its normal state as it's done for mine. It seems the problem was on Shaw's side, and that obtaining a new IP will effectivly remove you from their "packet shaping" or whatever they use to ruin our connection. The downside of all this is that you basically cannot have both bittorrent and Vent if you are having these problems, which does suck ALOT for some people as you now have to choose one.

I hope this helps all the annoyed shaw users who have encountered this problem. Seems I've once again found another reason to hate Shaw even more.
Old 10-31-2008, 06:11 AM   #46
LGraham

*EDIT* Nevermind. Problems back.

Last edited by LGraham; 11-04-2008 at 04:54 AM.
Old 11-05-2008, 01:18 PM   #47
Westward

Quote:
Originally Posted by blyndem View Post
SUCESS.

I've actually fixed the problem after working on it for quite a while.

I uninstalled bittorrent off of my other computer on the LAN first. Like, completely cleaned it out, reg files, background things running, and all. After that I found a program, called SMAC I believe, that changes your software MAC address on the network card your using (not really sure if this helped at all). Finally I released my IP via my d-link wireless router, and then unplugged both the modem and router overnight (8 hours). Doing this sucessfully granted me a NEW IP from shaw. (I also know there are other ways to obtain a new IP but this method works the best for me.)

SO.
If you are having this problem and still have not found a fix i sugest doing these steps.

1. COMPLETELY remove the torrent client. (Bittorrent, uTorrent etc.)
2. (Not sure if this always is needed but I would sugest it) "spoof" your MAC address and obtain a different one. Do this using a program, router, MAC cloning etc.
3. Release your old IP and do what you need to do to obtain a new one. (Once again various ways of doing this.)

Hopefully this will solve the ping issues and return vent to its normal state as it's done for mine. It seems the problem was on Shaw's side, and that obtaining a new IP will effectivly remove you from their "packet shaping" or whatever they use to ruin our connection. The downside of all this is that you basically cannot have both bittorrent and Vent if you are having these problems, which does suck ALOT for some people as you now have to choose one.

I hope this helps all the annoyed shaw users who have encountered this problem. Seems I've once again found another reason to hate Shaw even more.

Has anyone tried this and found that it's still working ?
Old 11-06-2008, 01:24 AM   #48
potvin

I am in Calgary and get the same crap. I just got off the phone with Shaw, and they instructed me to get in touch with Ventrilo to see if they could contact shaw to work this out. Shaw believes it is something on Ventrilo servers side rather than their network. Which may be true because the only program we seem to lose packets on are the various vents.
Old 11-06-2008, 05:44 PM   #49
potvin

Is there any admins that can comment on this? Shaw says they can only put a note on file but if ventrilo (flagship) works with shaw to rectify this this will get resolved for all of us shaw internet users on the west portion of Canada.
Old 11-06-2008, 07:08 PM   #50
Prog-Rocker
just tryin to help

we will need some contact info for Shaw in order to get this ball rolling.

could everyone also provide the server ipaddress (or hostname) that you have trouble with in case they need to narrow down a particular path. (or in case we need to get a test server from one of the hosters)

Last edited by Prog-Rocker; 11-06-2008 at 07:14 PM.
Closed Thread