Ventrilo Tech Support  

Go Back   Ventrilo Tech Support > Main Category > Windows Client

Old 09-13-2008, 08:12 PM   #1
Daduke

Default Ping Issues and 30k ms

I have literally no clue what I did, logged off and it was working fine, logged onto today and its horrible

I'm getting pings of up to 30k, then it will drop down to 60-100ms... I hear everything fine, no delays or statics or anything. However, whenever I try to speak over vent people say i'm horribly lagged out. I ran the windows repair function on my connection and it said it needed to adjust my TCP settings.
Daduke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2008, 12:18 AM   #2
Daduke

I've fiddled around with it for a while and its somehow related to my router, if I plug directly into the the cable modem, works correctly, if I use my room mate's router (wireless) it works correctly. However, when using my router (cable to computer) I get crazy lag spikes on ventrilo.

EDIT: Same issues still arising no matter which router is used. Only works correctly when connected directly to the cable modem... something in being connected to router is killing ventrilo

Last edited by Daduke; 09-16-2008 at 02:38 AM.
Old 09-14-2008, 02:15 PM   #3
mjgraf

could be a problem with your router. have you tried power cycling it?
mjgraf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 02:38 PM   #4
Zeknichov

Do you use Shaw Cable?
Zeknichov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 10:33 PM   #5
02jdunham02

unpulg your modem for 10 mins and then restart your computer see if that helps
02jdunham02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 02:37 AM   #6
Daduke

I've reached the point of utter frustration... For some reason went connecting via a router (either wired or wireless) I have horrible ping issues (particularly in the [URL="http://www.afterdawn.com/software/network_software/messaging/ventrilo_win.cfm"]ventrilo[/URL] program) but when i connect directly to the cable modem via a ethernet cable there are no issues. I have tried both a linksys and a dlink router and the same problem emerges repeatedly, some times immediately other time a bit more slowly. Any suggestions?

I ran some tracert with the router connected and unconnected (tracert 130.94.122.199) and found that with the router connected my first hop was reported at less than 1ms, but it timed out on my 2nd hop. When connected directly to the cable modem, my first hop timed out while my 2nd hop on average took between 5-10ms

I ran these test about 5 times each, same results. That makes sense though doesn't it. The first hop when connected directly to the router should be very fast. Its the first hop or 2nd hop thats timing out that must be causing the issues...

I've tried reseting and unplugging modems/routers repeatedly... and I'm not sure if I use Shaw cable.
Old 09-16-2008, 08:14 AM   #7
Schism

exact same issue but i am directly connected to the modem and have pings from 1500 - 20,000 and even when they drop randomly to 43 i still cant get voice through.
Schism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 11:44 AM   #8
Prog-Rocker
just tryin to help

duke - my router did that to me and i had to reload the firmware to correct it. check the manufacturers site for the latest firmware. be sure to specify the correct model number.
Prog-Rocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 11:44 AM   #9
Prog-Rocker
just tryin to help

schism - who's your ISP?
Prog-Rocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 12:36 PM   #10
Daduke

firmware for the router or the modem?

EDIT: Yeah I'm Shaw based

Last edited by Daduke; 09-16-2008 at 02:43 PM.