View Single Post
Old 09-28-2008, 01:11 AM   #3
kilikopele

I agree with Balthezaar, but thought I'd throw in personal opinion as I've just rented after rolling my own for a year. I've been hosting on my laptop while gaming on by big rig with few problems. Our clan has grown, though, and it means 3 things that started bugging me.

1) I was starting to get asked for my IP address by "strangers". Yeah, they may run in my guild, but that doesn't mean I'd invite them over for a whiskey.

2) As we've grown, occasionally we've hit the home limit.

3) Especially with fast-twitch games (Like BF2 and CS:S), it meant that my internet connection was fielding all game traffic, my out-going voice (through my router and into my laptop), and then all channels of audio going back out. So I'm getting killed by players I've never seen and my guild-mates are yelling at me for letting someone walk right up on me.

For your use, I think you're making the right choice by sticking with the personal-server. Once you run into any of the above, it's time to search out an alternative. The hosting fees have been dropping. (Has anyone else noticed this?)
kilikopele is offline   Reply With Quote