Ventrilo Tech Support

Ventrilo Tech Support (http://forum.ventrilo.com/index.php)
-   Windows Client (http://forum.ventrilo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   SHAW (Canada) USER(s) WITH MASSIVE PING VENT since 3.0? (http://forum.ventrilo.com/showthread.php?t=24811)

horobi 10-06-2008 08:12 PM

Moose Jaw SK, using Shaw. Same problem here. It started about a month ago, having trouble connecting to vent, switching channels and talking. Ping is almost always >20000 yet once I get into a channel I can hear everyone fine, just can't talk. Behind a Lynksys router and my roommate uses Torrents. It is super annoying because I play alot of online games with a fairly large group of people on a vent server that I think is located in Chicago. Going to find out if anyone else around here has the same problem and if they are all using Shaw. Might have to switch ISP's if shaw is just going to say it's a problem on my side since it obviously isn't.

Koann 10-06-2008 08:53 PM

Might as well post here as well.
I'm the thread starter of: [url]http://ventrilo.com/forums/showthread.php?t=31361[/url]

Made that before I noticed this one. I've sent off the evidence I've collected to Shaw -- haven't heard squat in 24 hours besides the standard auto-reply. Unfortunately switching providers isn't much of a choice for me.
I can live with Shaw throttling my torrents, but when I can't talk with my friends, I'm getting pissed.

Hopefully Flagship and Shaw will stop pointing fingers at each other and try to find some middle ground to solve the issue.

Zeknichov 10-07-2008 04:44 PM

This is not a 3.0 vent issue afaik. This didn't start as soon as 3.0 hit, this started about 1-2 weeks after. A few weeks ago I got a new modem (thus new ip address) and the problem was fixed, until about a week later. Give it a try, get a new IP address and the problem will be fixed until Shaw reassigns shaping restrictions on your connection. I had a guy come to my house to fix my connection who confirmed a new IP would result in a fresh open connection he called it, with 0 limitations until Shaw reassigns limitations based on whatever algorithms they use. I made the guy aware of the problem but he laughed saying the guys in networking who deal in traffic shaping are about as secretive as they come and there's nothing he or I can do about the problem.

Koann 10-08-2008 02:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zeknichov (Post 119263)
Give it a try, get a new IP address and the problem will be fixed until Shaw reassigns shaping restrictions on your connection.

For the uninitiated, what would be the best way to go about doing this? My home network connects to a router, and then from the router to the modem.
I've looked on Google, but either I'm searching the wrong phrasing/keywords, or the results I'm getting aren't effective. The best I've been able to do is assign a new MAC address to my PC, which, since Shaw detects the MAC of my router first, does not help alleviate the issue in any way.

Zeknichov 10-08-2008 08:36 AM

Releasing and renewing the lan ip vis the router.
Cloning your mac address.
Unplugging the modem for an hour and plugging it back in.
Getting a new modem.

Zeknichov 10-17-2008 10:51 PM

I'm just wondering if anyone has had any success with Shaw? I've decided to switch to Telus since their new 6mbit connection is bearable compared to the prior top of the line 3mbit connection. I'll miss my 20mbit connection but the traffic shaping has gotten out of hand with Shaw. I cannot play games and run utorrent at the same time while only using 10% of my bandwidth and my ping is much higher in FPS games (without running utorrent) compared to my friends who go through Telus so I've had it with Shaw. I called in and asked to speak to someone who delt with their traffic shaping and I may as well have called in and asked to speak with the president of the United States.

Goeser 10-24-2008 12:15 AM

I live in Vancouver and use Shaw as my ISP. I have only recently been having these ping problems. But, just like most of the others who have posted, I start with a nice low ping ~40 and shoot up as high as 90k ms. No one else on the server experiences the lag.

blyndem 10-28-2008 12:22 AM

Yeap. Having the exact same problem, can hear everyone in vent fine, but when I talk I get skyrocketed pings in the 1000k-90000k range...

I'm also sure its shaw.. that would seem to make the most sense, as I too have gone through everything searching for the problem...

I am located in Thunder Bay, Ontario and have just recently started recieving this problem a few days ago. I never had the problem before with 2.3.x

Checked the router, computer, soundcard, modem, firewalls, software, connection speed/ping, vent on high priority ETC. I have done EVERYTHING.
The most recent attempt was deleting bittorrent off of another computer on my lan, and then phoning shaw (20 MINS ON HOLD BTW), and getting the guy to reset modem and ip/mac address.
I am STILL recieving high pings and I'm at a standstill.

Not the first time ive had problems with shaw.. but this really made me quite angry. Would LOVE to hear of a fix, perhaps something I did wrong? ..i'll do anything to get vent working again:confused: ...sigh.

blyndem 10-29-2008 03:30 PM

Solution.

SUCESS.

I've actually fixed the problem after working on it for quite a while.

I uninstalled bittorrent off of my other computer on the LAN first. Like, completely cleaned it out, reg files, background things running, and all. After that I found a program, called SMAC I believe, that changes your software MAC address on the network card your using (not really sure if this helped at all). Finally I released my IP via my d-link wireless router, and then unplugged both the modem and router overnight (8 hours). Doing this sucessfully granted me a NEW IP from shaw. (I also know there are other ways to obtain a new IP but this method works the best for me.)

SO.
If you are having this problem and still have not found a fix i sugest doing these steps.

1. COMPLETELY remove the torrent client. (Bittorrent, uTorrent etc.)
2. (Not sure if this always is needed but I would sugest it) "spoof" your MAC address and obtain a different one. Do this using a program, router, MAC cloning etc.
3. Release your old IP and do what you need to do to obtain a new one. (Once again various ways of doing this.)

Hopefully this will solve the ping issues and return vent to its normal state as it's done for mine. It seems the problem was on Shaw's side, and that obtaining a new IP will effectivly remove you from their "packet shaping" or whatever they use to ruin our connection. The downside of all this is that you basically cannot have both bittorrent and Vent if you are having these problems, which does suck ALOT for some people as you now have to choose one.

I hope this helps all the annoyed shaw users who have encountered this problem. Seems I've once again found another reason to hate Shaw even more.:)

LGraham 10-31-2008 06:11 AM

*EDIT* Nevermind. Problems back.