Ventrilo Tech Support

Ventrilo Tech Support (http://forum.ventrilo.com/index.php)
-   Windows Client (http://forum.ventrilo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   SHAW (Canada) USER(s) WITH MASSIVE PING VENT since 3.0? (http://forum.ventrilo.com/showthread.php?t=24811)

PhatKi 05-04-2008 09:35 PM

I live in the Red Deer area and have been experiencing bizarre lag spikes and such after i download torrents and what not. This s really a frustrating thing when vent locks up and you hear 5 minutes of conversation at once.

MegaHz 05-05-2008 01:54 AM

It is a problem with traffic shaping equipment shaw is using and something Ventrilo changed about their packets in version 3. The Ventrilo 3 packet signature is looking like, and there for being treated as peer to peer traffic. if you get a hold of a vent 2 client and server and run it along side a vent 3 cient and server (same host location, same client location), you get no ping issues on the 2 server while the 3 server spikes to 32000 ping.

If you contact shaw, ask them to escalate the issue up, so they can collect information on who all is having the problem. make sure someone in the call center didn't decide that there is nothing they can do to fix the issue and not even let a network engineer look at it. ask them to escalate it up.

Mox1972 06-13-2008 08:40 PM

I have a dumb question. Do all of you use routers? This is so frustrating I have all the same symptoms as you guys. Guess I just wait until there is some kind of fix, but for some reason i took my router offline and now I have no issue getting dc'd from vent, this could very well be that taking 2 other computers offline for the time created enough bandwidth where I wouldnt get dc'd . /shrug

MaxFrag 06-14-2008 05:03 AM

I am from Vancouver, BC. I have not experienced this problem. Are the servers you connect to in Seattle? I usually get a really low ping in Seattle.

ruthLesstw 06-26-2008 07:56 PM

same problem for me i am in saskatchewan and i just recently got the new motorola modem and ever since i ping in the 1000's in vent and no one can hear me or anything..everything else is running fine

killswitch1 07-23-2008 11:31 PM

I am having the same problem in Alberta on Shaw with the new Docsis modem. I have sent a message to Shaw so will see if they do anything about it.

Zeknichov 08-29-2008 10:23 PM

I live in St. Albert (Edmonton), Alberta and use Shaw. I have been using Shaw+utorrent+Ventrilo for years now. I have never experience a problem until about a week ago. I was using utorrent and version 3 fine until then. The vent server I connect to is located in Seattle. I have real life friends that also have been using Shaw+utorrent+Ventrilo and live in Edmonton that do not experience the same problem I am having.

The problem I'm having is my ping will show 27 or 37 and when I talk it will spike to 300-3000.

Things that are different for myself and my friends that may cause the problem.

- I use Windows Vista 64-bit and am the only one who does
- I live in St. Albert not Edmonton. St. Albert is right beside Edmonton, basically connected.
- I recently had problems with my internet and got a new modem.
- I recently had problems with utorrent throttling my connection by establishing too many half-open connections at once so I installed the Windows Vista tcpip.sys connection limit patch

Now here's the odd part. My internet is fine for EVERYTHING except ventrilo. For example I can be using utorrent getting 2mb/s downloads and 100kb/s uploads. I turned off utorrent just to make sure but I can confirm the issue is not bandwidth related. Since only ventrilo is the problem, I believe it's a ventrilo issue or an issue with Shaw in regards to ventrilo traffic. Regardless it's quite annoying. I've tried reinstalling ventrilo to solve this problem to no avail.

My instincts are telling me it's the Windows Vista tcipip.sys connection limit patch since it was the last thing I did that may even possibly cause a problem before I started experiencing the problem, but I fail to see how this would cause vent to lag and if I'm forced to uninstal I'll be left with utorrent problems. I want my cake and I want to eat it too!

hekTuK 08-31-2008 01:23 AM

I live in Qualicum Beach, BC, Canda, and I use Shaw Cable. This exact issue started up about a month ago now and for no reason. It sometimes goes up to 4-6 days without experiencing any latency issues then straight back into lagging when I try and talk.

I called their tech support and the rep told me that it must be something on my end, but I'm calling BS on that now since i see so many other have the same issue.

Bullknot 10-01-2008 03:23 PM

North Surrey B,C

Same thing here, cant really play on-line games the connection is too choppy/laggy, been like this for a long time.
All the tests look good, Ive got a good pc & good speeds. Ive even let shaw take over my pc and go into the games, they agree that its choppy/laggy but tests show theres nothing wrong.
We had Telus too and it does the same thing, I think its the node or hub or whatever it is that both companies are eventually connected to. Maybe overloaded or out of date.