Ventrilo Tech Support

Ventrilo Tech Support (http://forum.ventrilo.com/index.php)
-   Windows Client (http://forum.ventrilo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Lose All Sound on Comp (XP) (http://forum.ventrilo.com/showthread.php?t=39457)

Holgster 09-17-2009 05:24 PM

Lose All Sound on Comp (XP)

Windows XP Prof SP3
Realtek HD Audio / Intel motherboard

A few mins after I connect to Ventrilo all sound on my computer stops. I can not hear anything, not click sounds, game sounds, music, nada. Nothing shows to be disabled. Ironically if in Vent in a channel people can still hear me talking.. so the mic works, but sound coming in does not. Closing vent does not remedy this, only rebooting the computer.

I updated the drivers for the Realtek HD Audio and get the same issue.

Anyone heard of this?

Thanks!

Prog-Rocker 09-18-2009 07:22 PM

can you check for this plz:

[FONT=Verdana]Is your system sound configured for 5.1 or 7.1?[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana](XP - windows control-panel / sounds / click the ‘Advanced’ button in the ‘Speaker Settings’ section / speaker setup input box setting)[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana](Vista/Win7 – windows control-panel / sounds / Playback / select speaker device / ‘Configure’ button / Audio Channels)[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana]If yes then:[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana]Goto Vent setup/voice-binds-speech tabs / SFX button / Directional / Add “Front Left & Right 5.1 (or 7.1)”[/FONT]

you might want to try re-installing DirectX - [FONT=Verdana][URL]http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=2DA43D38-DB71-4C1B-BC6A-9B6652CD92A3&displaylang=en[/URL][/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana][/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana]or this:[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana][/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana]start / run[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana]dxdiag[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana]select sound tab[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana]try lowering 'hardware accelleration' 1 notch[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana]reboot and test[/FONT]

Holgster 09-18-2009 07:33 PM

I had seen your info about the 5.1/7.1 in other posts and checked that before. Mine is set to "desktop stereo speaker", whatever that does =p

Trying to lower hardware accel and rebooting now.

Holgster 09-18-2009 08:44 PM

Tried lowering Hardward Accel, same issue occurred.

Reinstalled DirectX, same issue.

=/

Prog-Rocker 09-18-2009 08:59 PM

are there any error messages in the vent log file?

rt-clik in window/view/log file/scroll to bottom

Holgster 09-19-2009 08:26 AM

The only entries in this log are from last saturday, the day I got this computer and loaded ventrilo.

2009-09-12 20:11:08 Unable to open system registry key to read data.
2009-09-12 20:54:18 CEvtText::Read, Unable to open file C:\Documents and Settings\name\Application Data\Ventrilo\default.vet
2009-09-12 20:54:18 Creating the default VET file 'C:\Documents and Settings\name\Application Data\Ventrilo\default.vet'

Just now when getting on to see if an error happened. The sound stopped in about 45 seconds from when I started Vent. Sometimes its as long as 10-15 mins. I dont see a pattern as I didnt even talk on the mic this time OR join a channel where anyone else was talking =/

Prog-Rocker 09-21-2009 09:37 AM

are there any error messages in event viewer?

start > run
eventvwr

Holgster 09-21-2009 05:43 PM

Didnt notice anything in the eventvwr pertaining to ventrilo. To check the time stamps I duplicated the problem twice and nothing is in the eventvwr about it. No errors, just info about when I restarted the computer each time.

I then removed vent and got ahold of 3.0.4 instead which is what most of the poeple I talk to on vent use. Same issue happened a few mins after I loaded it up =/

Prog-Rocker 09-21-2009 06:31 PM

did you download the realtek driver for your mobo from the Intel website?

Holgster 09-21-2009 10:41 PM

I started with driver 5911 dated 8/5/09 that came installed and is on the disk with the intel mobo drivers that came with my comp. After having the issue last week I updated the drivers to 5928 dated 8/31/09. Tonight I deleted the drivers and put in the disk and reinstalled those. Same problem as before.