Ventrilo Tech Support

Ventrilo Tech Support (http://forum.ventrilo.com/index.php)
-   Windows Client (http://forum.ventrilo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Ventrilo eats my cpu (http://forum.ventrilo.com/showthread.php?t=42706)

FallingCities 04-15-2010 03:18 PM

Ventrilo eats my cpu

I'm not incredibly computer savy and well vent has been acting odd lately. I've had vent for a few years I play wow and I've never had any issues with it until the past few months. I can log in just fine and my ping sits around 20. I can use vent fine for the first 5 mins or so then it acts up. The ventrilo window freezes and I can't use my PTT button or hear anyone. I checked task manager and it shows ventrilo using 1 cpu and then jumps to 56 when it starts acting up.

I currently use vent on my laptop it's an Acer it has 4GBs and Vista 32bit. All of my drivers are up to date as well. If I could get some feedback or some possible suggestions I'd really appreciate it.

Prog-Rocker 04-15-2010 05:57 PM

first:

Check the Audio driver to make sure it is up to date. Or try re-installing the current driver.
(note: some USB Headsets do not require a driver)
(Don’t assume the driver is up to date as a newer one may have been released since the computer was built)

- If you have a brand-name PC, like Dell or HP, then check the manufacturers website for driver updates.
- If you built the PC and use the on-board sound device then check the motherboard manufacturers website for drivers for your model motherboard.
- If you use a plug-in soundcard, like SoundBlaster, then check that manufacturers website for drivers.

Also check for BIOS and chipset updates

in vent setup/voice-binds-speech tabs, set the output/input boxes to the name of the audio device you're using. also try checking/unchecking 'use directsound'

try setting both Vent and any online game to ‘Run As Administrator’ (rt-click their icons)

in the windows sound properties, try disabling all effects on the microphone (noise suppression, accoustic cancellation, etc)

(posted by another user)
If you are running a mobo with nVidia chipset and have "NVIDIA Forceware Network Access Manager" installed from the Forceware package I'd uninstall it as it is an add-on you don't need that only conflicts with Vista. A lot of stuff ran smoother after I uninstalled it actually. I wouldn't be all that surprised if that's causing a lot of issues with vent and Vista as a lot of issues I'm noticing are peeps with nVidia stuff.

FallingCities 04-19-2010 04:49 PM

All of my drivers are up to date. I checked them again today.

I tried the unchecking and rechecking "use directsound" and that didn't work.

All of my sound properties are disabled but it's still causing my cpu to jump to 50 something after a few minutes.

I've ran ventrilo as admin and I've had no results. I'm not sure what else it could be.

Prog-Rocker 04-20-2010 11:11 AM

in taskmanager/processes tab, does it show vent as using 50% or is it another app, like audiodg.exe

FallingCities 04-21-2010 11:14 AM

It's ventrilo showing the cpu at 50%. When it does that my ping will shoot to 500000 and I can't click on ventrilo or anything. My audiog.exe doesn't use any of my cpu really.