Ventrilo Tech Support  

Go Back   Ventrilo Tech Support > Main Category > Macintosh Client

Old 11-06-2005, 05:38 PM   #1
PopeZaphod

Default Voice "Modulated" Lower?

First off, thanks sooo much for releasing a Mac client! Even in beta it's working quite well for the basics.

The only strange thing is that my voice is coming over as if it's going through some kind of modulation device, making my voice sound lower than normal. I checked this out by running Vent in VirtualPC on my Mac and sure enough, I've got the "Darth Vader" effect.

I'm using an iSight as my mic, codec on the server is Speex (32 KHz, 16 bit, 5 Qlty), switching to 6 Qlty didn't improve things. Any advice is appreciated.
PopeZaphod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2005, 06:32 PM   #2
Flagship
Administrator

I'm not sure. It's possible the device characterisics reported by the iSight might be confusing Ventrilo. I'll have a friend of mine check to see if he has the same problem with his new iSight.

--Flag
Old 11-07-2005, 07:52 AM   #3
Calibos

I am also having this problem, but I'm not using iSight.

I'm using a Plantronics USB headset on a 2.7ghz dual proc G5 running OSX 10.4.2.

Everybody says I sound like Big John Coffey from 'The Green Mile' and think I'm 6'9" tall. Which was kinda cool at first and got some laughs when I said "Coffey. Like the drank only spelled dif'rent." and "Gimme yo hand, Boss." But when I used my iMac, I just sounded like the pipsqueak I am, so my secret is out and now it's gettin kinda old.

And no, changing the quality setting for speex doesn't fix it.

btw - I sound normal when using skype on this machine.

Last edited by Calibos; 11-07-2005 at 09:10 AM.
Calibos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2005, 11:59 AM   #4
Flagship
Administrator

I'm sure this is a program problem. Just need to duplicate it first.
Old 11-07-2005, 03:10 PM   #5
PopeZaphod

FWIW I'm runnign 10.4.3 on a 2ghz dual G5. I've ordered a Logitech 350 headset, so I'll have something else to try it out with eventually.
PopeZaphod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2005, 03:16 PM   #6
Flagship
Administrator

Let me know if you still have the same problem.
Old 11-07-2005, 07:27 PM   #7
a2daj

I ran into the same problem. I have a Revolution 7.1 audio card and use that sound input with a Logitech headset. I was using the Mac server for testing. When I first got everything set up I had some guildmates join to help test it. After I turned down my sensitivity folks could hear when I spoke, but initially, they said I sounded like a chipmunk. So I opened up Audio MIDI Setup in /Applications/Utilities and changeds the mic input from 22 Hz to 44.1 Hz. I then restarted my Ventrilo client. People said I sounded fine. However, when I went to play with the amplifier, the higher the amplification, the lower my voice played back for everyone. I think people were mistaking me for Bill Brasky.
a2daj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2005, 08:15 PM   #8
halprin

Quote:
Originally Posted by a2daj
I ran into the same problem. I have a Revolution 7.1 audio card and use that sound input with a Logitech headset. I was using the Mac server for testing. When I first got everything set up I had some guildmates join to help test it. After I turned down my sensitivity folks could hear when I spoke, but initially, they said I sounded like a chipmunk. So I opened up Audio MIDI Setup in /Applications/Utilities and changeds the mic input from 22 Hz to 44.1 Hz. I then restarted my Ventrilo client. People said I sounded fine. However, when I went to play with the amplifier, the higher the amplification, the lower my voice played back for everyone. I think people were mistaking me for Bill Brasky.
a2daj, maybe you really are a chipmunk? ;p
halprin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2005, 09:38 PM   #9
Flagship
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by a2daj
Yup, it's a program bug. Soon as I read your post it dawned on me how I screwed up. I'll try and have it fixed in the next release.
Old 11-07-2005, 09:54 PM   #10
Calibos

"Give me yo' hand, Boss... I wanna shake it." Epiphanies 4tw!!1
Calibos is offline   Reply With Quote