Ventrilo Tech Support  

Go Back   Ventrilo Tech Support > Main Category > Macintosh Client

Old 11-08-2005, 12:34 PM   #1
Alatariel

Default HELP!! still can't use my mic

I read through the previous posts and couldn't find a solution to my problem. I'm trying to use Vent while I play World of Warcraft, but for some reason I can't get my mic to work. I'm using a G5, latest OS, I tried buying a small mic that plugs into the rear of my computer and I also tried using a Logitec USB headset, but can't get my mic to work. I can hear everyone perfectly, there are other Mac users in my guild who have gotten their mic working.

Can someone please detail exactly what my settings should be at in both my Sound preferences AND the Vent settings. Screenshots would be awesome, otherwise, please be detailled and cover all the settings for me. Thanks, help me!!

Last edited by Alatariel; 11-08-2005 at 01:23 PM.
Alatariel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2005, 04:31 PM   #2
a2daj

Make sure the correct microphone is set in your Sound system preference pane and the Ventrilo settings. I had to change my sensitivity from the default 60 down to 10 so that my mic would pick me up for voice activation.
a2daj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2005, 04:40 PM   #3
NeoNataku

System Preferences >> System: Speech

Look around and see if anything that obviously should be on isn't. 's what I did.
NeoNataku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2005, 05:31 PM   #4
Alatariel

please be more specific, this entire voice chat concept is new to me.

can someone who's using a usb headset please post all their settings (or at least the settings that are important) for:
System Preferences >> Speech
System Preferences >> Sound
Ventrilo Settings
Old 11-08-2005, 05:38 PM   #5
NeoNataku

Alright, lemme look around...
System Preferences
-Speech
--Speakable items on
--Line-in (drop down menu, if you are using a plug-in mic select line-in, otherwise select internal)
--Listen only when key is pressed (doesn't interfere with vent)

those are my settings. hope it helps. If not, try changing vent settings, although I'm just as new to vent as you =X
NeoNataku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2005, 12:28 PM   #6
Alatariel

Still no luck =/ I swear I've tried every combo of settings trying to get this to work. Is there anyone out there who's using a Logitech USB 350something headset? If so, what are your settings for the System AND Vent?
Old 11-09-2005, 03:37 PM   #7
macaddct1984

First off, you can't use the mic that plugs into an audio input because no Macintoshes have a mic input, they're line-ins which are different, so stick with the USB headset.

Anyway, I'm actually experiencing the same problems. I'm using a Plantronics USB headset and it seems that no matter what I set the speech input settings to in the System Preferences 'Speech' panel, it's not picking up my mic. I need to blow really hard into the mic in order for it to pic anything up.

It may be because the hardware input slider isn't supported yet in the client... *shrugs*
macaddct1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2005, 05:42 PM   #8
gramathy

You need to be looking in the Sound control panel, not Speech. Speech deals with TTS and speech recognition. Sound deals with actual audio input/output. You might have your input volume set really low.
gramathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2005, 06:02 PM   #9
macaddct1984

Quote:
Originally Posted by gramathy
You need to be looking in the Sound control panel, not Speech. Speech deals with TTS and speech recognition. Sound deals with actual audio input/output. You might have your input volume set really low.
Err, did I say Speech, I meant Sound, sorry about that.
Old 11-09-2005, 08:47 PM   #10
macaddct1984

Quote:
Originally Posted by gramathy
I got it working, it was an error on my part. I think the Ventrillo client sets the volume really low so I had to turn up the input really high in the Sound preferences. I first saw that the Sound pref. panel was getting input at the low levels, so I thought that was sufficient.