Ventrilo Tech Support  

Go Back   Ventrilo Tech Support > Main Category > Macintosh Client

Closed Thread

Old 11-03-2005, 11:36 PM   #11
Colin

Default Speex versus GSM6.10

Obviously this has been said already but I just thought I'd drop my two cents. I pay roughly $30 a month for a 100 slot server that I've been running the GSM codec on for almost a year now and I was very happy with it. We did have users on Macintosh's who were not able to connect prior to this but now that they are able to I've had to change our codec over and the quality of sound has taken a huge hit on the server. I realize it's a step in the right direction but the byte rate and the Khz of the Speex codec simply aren't worth the money in my opinion, and I eagerly look forward to a Macintosh client that will support the GSM codec. I thank you guys for the work you do on such a great product and while I'm sorry that it's no longer opensource I do hope that this doesn't hinder the software's progress as it has been a hands-down winner in the past. Thank you in advance for any help you can offer for my situation.
Old 11-03-2005, 11:39 PM   #12
halprin

You do know that if you are using a server that is running the Speex codec, you should run the latest client 2.3.2.Beta.1. You can download that on the bottom of the download page and that new client should greatly increase the audio quality of the Speex codec.
Old 11-03-2005, 11:43 PM   #13
Colin

I appreciate the suggestion halprin, I just updated to that client and the sound issues are the same as they were with the non-beta version.
Old 11-03-2005, 11:47 PM   #14
halprin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colin
I appreciate the suggestion halprin, I just updated to that client and the sound issues are the same as they were with the non-beta version.
Well, make sure the Speex setting is set to a high quality maybe. If that doesn't work, well, iDunno...
Old 11-03-2005, 11:47 PM   #15
Flagship
Administrator

And how is your speex codec configured?

Edit: Question is for colin.
Old 11-04-2005, 01:46 AM   #16
Colin

The codec I've used for the past year that has served very well without any problem is GSM 6.10 (44,100 Hz, 16bit) 8905 bytes/second. The one I'm having to use now in order to allow my Macintosh users to access the server is Speex (32,000 Hz, 16 bit, 10 Qlty) 5520 bytes/sec. This Speex codec is the highest available setting and as you can see the byte rate and the Hz are subpar thus it sounds noticably worse than it did with GSM.
Old 11-04-2005, 11:15 AM   #17
shidarin

Quote:
That is very odd, because our 50 man vent server switched over, and we've had several 40 man raids since then, and the sound quality is exactly the same- at half the bandwidth.
Old 11-04-2005, 01:07 PM   #18
Colin

Well, like I said the bandwidth isn't an issue and there is a definate decrease in quality. I mean the transfer rates speak for themselves both the Hz and Bytes/Sec are lower. Anyway thats just what I'm experiencing, hopefully Mac's can become GSM compatible soon.
Old 11-04-2005, 01:35 PM   #19
StraightZ

Quote:
Well, like I said the bandwidth isn't an issue and there is a definate decrease in quality. I mean the transfer rates speak for themselves both the Hz and Bytes/Sec are lower. Anyway thats just what I'm experiencing, hopefully Mac's can become GSM compatible soon.
I am sure there will be an update soon for the GSM codec. As I said last night, I had my friend in a server with the Speex 32, it sounded good, but he did sound muffled, now I don't know if that's because of the codec, or because of the new client. I had an additional person in there with me that was on windows, and he sounded clear as a bell to me. I also know that his microphone wasn't a problem, being him and myself have the same microphone.

Time can only show, i'm sure all these bugs will be worked out soon.
Old 11-04-2005, 01:41 PM   #20
Colin

Sure hope so
Closed Thread