Ventrilo Tech Support  

Go Back   Ventrilo Tech Support > Main Category > Windows Client

Old 12-11-2011, 10:49 PM   #1
devuu

Default Can't connect to server

Hi,

My friend is having an interesting problem--that is, he can connect to lots of servers through Ventrilo, except one (which he was able to connect to earlier today).

He has been receiving the following messages:
2011-04-18 21:52:55 Unable to open system registry key to read data.
2011-04-18 21:53:19 CEvtText::Read, Unable to open file C:\Users\John\AppData\Roaming\Ventrilo\default.vet
2011-04-18 21:53:19 Creating the default VET file 'C:\Users\John\AppData\Roaming\Ventrilo\default.ve t'

Basically what happened is he was on Ventrilo with us, while playing a game. Someone was holding down their mic and his Ventrilo proceeded to crash from the feedback that resulted. Ever since then he has been unable to connect to the Ventrilo server. Moreover, he is unable to find any information when he looks for "Server Details".

I told him to try to do a tracer test to the server that he is unable to connect to, but when he performed one the first few tests returned an IP, but on the 5th test and onwards, he receives the prompt: "Request timed out".

I'm by no means an expert with technology, let alone server stuff, so I figure you guys can help him out better than me.

Let me know what else you need to know and thanks in advance!
devuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 08:35 AM   #2
Prog-Rocker
just tryin to help

can he telnet to the server?

start > run
cmd {hit enter}
telnet serverhostname port#

(where serverhostname={the server ipaddress or hostname of the server you’re trying to connect to (found in vent client server setup)} and port#={port associated with that server}
(example: “telnet 75.125.43.51 3784” or “telnet www.myserver.com 3784” without the quotes)

If Telnet is able to connect then the screen will go blank. If not, then you will see an error message about not being able to connect.

Enabling Telnet in Vista/Windows 7

Control-Panel / Programs and Features / Turn Windows features on or off / select “Telnet Client” / click OK

also try connecting from safe-mode:

Booting Into Safe-Mode
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/w...ding-safe-mode

Restart Windows
Keep hitting the F8 function key before the Windows logo appears. You should see a list of options to choose from.
Select “Safe Mode with Networking”. This will boot windows into a very basic configuration but also allow network drivers to load.

Start Ventrilo to see if it connects all the way. If it works properly then there is something that is loading during the normal boot that is interferring with the connection.

if telnet doesn't work then have him try this windows command:

netsh winsock reset all

Open an elevated command prompt. To do this, click Start, click All
Programs, click Accessories, right-click Command Prompt, and then click Run
as administrator. If you are prompted for an administrator password or for a
confirmation, type the password, or click Allow/Continue.

Type in the following command:

netsh winsock reset all
Prog-Rocker is offline   Reply With Quote