Ventrilo Tech Support  

Go Back   Ventrilo Tech Support > Main Category > Macintosh Client

Old 08-12-2011, 03:26 PM   #11
Jaycyn

My experience has been that the issue occurs intermittently, without user interaction.

I am finding will beach ball approximately once per hour.

For example: Wedesday evening our WoW guild was in a raid, and the raid leader was going over the encounter - I was not touching the keyboard or mouse and nothing was happening in-game. The RL was talking and then suddenly nothing. I minimized the WoW screen and Vent was beach balling.

Last night we were having a guild discussion on Vent (no other Apps were running except Safari and Vent and the same thing occurred. All of the sudden it stopped functioning.

My guess is that it has something to do with how Vent is handling sampling bit-rate changes executed by the OS.
Jaycyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 04:07 PM   #12
Flagship
Administrator

Jaycyn, What kind of box are you using?

I really don't think it had anything to do with bit-rate changes especially if you are sitting at the desktop and running just Safari. Most likely it's a thread deadlock but I need to narrow it down to the specific event.

When you had the problem last night was it just playing the incoming stream or had you been transmitting at the same time?
Old 08-13-2011, 07:26 PM   #13
Jaycyn

The issued occurred when no activity was happening. i.e. no one was speaking on vent and neither was I. It had been quiet for several minutes which was odd and when I clicked on the Vent window to activate it, the cursor was a beach ball.

It happened again, just a few minutes ago - same situation. There was no crash log or any other information in the console other than the following:

8/13/11 5:20:14.051 PM com.apple.spindump: Ventrilo [10764] didn't gather any samples
8/13/11 5:20:14.081 PM com.apple.launchd.peruser.501: ([0x0-0x423423].com.ventrilo.Ventrilo[10764]) Exited: Terminated: 15

Box is MacPro 2 x 2.4Ghz Quad-Core Xeon, 8G RAM

Last edited by Jaycyn; 08-14-2011 at 08:00 AM.
Jaycyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 05:23 PM   #14
sparrowlab

I'm having the exact same problem. I'm using a Mac Pro 2x2.6GHz quad-core with 6 gigs of ram, running OS X 10.7.1. I'm using a USB headset (Yapster). Vent worked fine until I upgraded to the latest version, and now it will lock up repeatedly for what appears to be no reason. Sometimes it happens when a lot of people are talking; sometimes it happens when nobody is talking and we're just sitting around. It's making it almost impossible for me to raid or PvP.

Is the older version available to download anywhere? I really wish I could revert.
sparrowlab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 05:59 PM   #15
amromousa

Having the same issue w/ 3.0.9. Didn't happen w/ 3.0.8.

This seems to happen after 30 mins or an hour of talking in vent. The server only has 3-5 people in it at the time. It happens at least once in a 3 hour period. Usually 2 or more times, though.

Generally I'm playing StarCraft 2 at the time it happens (I don't play other games, really). I do switch between full screen and windowed mode, as well as cmd+tab around between apps (this makes StarCraft start/stop playing its audio -- you'd know whether or not this matters better than I). Sometimes the speakers (next to usernames) are on or off when I notice the app has locked up so I'm not sure it has much to do with transmitting or receiving audio at the time this happens. Also, I'm running Lion (10.7.1).

If there's any specific info I can give when the app gets into this state (logs, dumps, whatever), please let me know and I'll grab it and send it to you the next time it happens.

Last edited by amromousa; 08-28-2011 at 06:03 PM.
amromousa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 07:27 PM   #16
amromousa

Any chance of getting a 3.0.8 download link?
Old 08-30-2011, 10:44 PM   #17
hubot

Two crash logs from tonight

Let me know if there's a better way to post these
hubot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 07:23 PM   #18
amromousa

Any word on this? Thanks!
Old 09-07-2011, 08:16 PM   #19
rooster888

Default Same Problems

I have had all of the above problems. This is the system I am running:
Lion 10.7.1
The previous version of Ventrilo worked perfectly for 4 years. I am playing WoW when the problems occur, and doesn't seem to be related to any particular action or non-action. I tried to post the crash log here but there are too may characters. This is driven me crazy, please help!
Model Name: MacBook Pro
Model Identifier: MacBookPro5,1
Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo
Processor Speed: 2.8 GHz
Number of Processors: 1
Total Number of Cores: 2
L2 Cache: 6 MB
Memory: 4 GB
Bus Speed: 1.07 GHz
Boot ROM Version: MBP51.007E.B05
SMC Version (system): 1.33f8
Serial Number (system): W884680F1GN
Hardware UUID: 3C705E8E-90D4-5448-8131-002CA7758362
Sudden Motion Sensor:
State: Enabled
rooster888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 01:45 PM   #20
Codebaker

Hi,

same here for me and a friend. Ventrilo just freeze up without any pattern or trigger I can see. From 3 crashes Apples crash reporter managed only to capture one report. The text is to large for this forum, do you want it by mail?

What is the status on this bug. Where you able to reproduce it?

@Edit:
Restored 3.0.7 from my Timecapsule. Runs just fine. One difference I noticed on 3.0.9 is the voice activation. For some reasons the client is signaling that he is sending when he shouldn't. He isn't sending then but in Ventrilo it looks like that (green speaker icon),

Last edited by Codebaker; 09-18-2011 at 04:30 AM.
Codebaker is offline   Reply With Quote