Ventrilo Tech Support  

Go Back   Ventrilo Tech Support > Main Category > Macintosh Client

Old 07-12-2011, 01:45 PM   #1
Ashrin

Default PPT key slow to respond

While using vent, sometimes my push to talk key will not activate transmission for a short while (1-3 seconds) after pressing and holding the push to talk key.

It doesn't matter if vent is in the front, back, or behind full screen applications.

It doesn't matter if vent is the only program running or if I am playing WoW, Starcraft, or surfing the Web.

It doesn't matter if I use my Keyboard, or my G13.

It doesn't seem to be tied to the vent ping, as reported inside the base Ventrilo window.

Setting Number of packets to buffer when voice stream starts or voice stream is interrupted to any value doesn't fix the issue.

I cannot find any listing on this forum or any other place to help find a solution to this issue.

If I wait until I hear the keyclick, I can talk and be heard just fine. However, sometimes waiting until the keyclick means that what I was going to say is not useless, and can result in wipes (I tank in WoW).

Please help me resolve this issue.
Thank you.
Ashrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 02:16 PM   #2
Prog-Rocker
just tryin to help

do you have the latest g13 driver installed?

try unchecking 'play key clicks' in vent setup

did you 'enable access for assistive devices' in universal access in system preferences?
Prog-Rocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 06:05 PM   #3
Ashrin

Firstly, Thanks for giving this some thought.

I do have the latest G13 driver installed, version 3.06.128.

Enable access for assistive devices is on.

if I disable keyclicks I cut off the beginning of everything I try to say over vent. In fact, the keyclicks are the only thing letting me know when I can talk.

Any other thoughts?
Old 07-12-2011, 06:29 PM   #4
Prog-Rocker
just tryin to help

what key are you using for ptt?

are there any error messages in the vent log file? rt-clik in the window/view/log file/scroll to bottom

have you tried removing the g13 to see if it makes any difference?
Old 07-13-2011, 11:04 AM   #5
Ashrin

I am currently using the Control key as my PTT. I tried the Grave key, but without any difference.

I have removed the G13 and I still get the same problem with my keyboard.

I opened the vent log file window and poked around, but I'm not sure what I'm looking for.

I see a lot of entries that says $date$time GAMEPANEL: Connection Int failed where $date$time represent seemingly random times over the past few days. (reaching back to when I started playing wow again, and thus using vent more).

There are also tons of other older entries, I don't think I have ever opened this file, much less cleared it.

Is any of that helpful, or should I be looking somewhere else in here for more information?

Again, thanks for your time helping me through this.
Old 07-13-2011, 11:33 AM   #6
Prog-Rocker
just tryin to help

what version of OS and processor are you using?

in vent setup, what are the output and input devices set to?

try this test:

re-enable 'play key clicks' then clik the monitor button. when you press the ptt do you hear the key-clik right away or is it also delayed here too?
Old 07-13-2011, 12:12 PM   #7
Ashrin

I'm using Mac OS X 10.6.8 on an iMac. Here is my hardware overview(sans Serial number, and UDID):
Model Name: iMac
Model Identifier: iMac9,1
Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo
Processor Speed: 3.06 GHz
Number Of Processors: 1
Total Number Of Cores: 2
L2 Cache: 6 MB
Memory: 4 GB
Bus Speed: 1.07 GHz
Boot ROM Version: IM91.008D.B08
SMC Version (system): 1.45f0

Interestingly, when monitoring the keyclicks up right away. I tried this several times and every time it clicks in right away and the call back is clear and in it's entirety.

Might this suggest a network issue rather than a software or setup issue? I am at a new location (new compared to when I quit wow, and stopped using vent so much). Never thought this would cause the issue. Can you think of any tests we can run to confirm or deny this idea?

My input and outputs are both set to run to my iMic (external usb audio device) which my headset is plugged into. Since my headset provides mic level audio, my true-line input on my computer creates a lot of extra static with my headset.

My wife has the same issue on her computer, slighly newer iMac than mine and a different keyboard, otherwise same setup as mine. Adding this to what we have seen from these other tests you have had me run seems to further suggest network problems.
Old 07-13-2011, 12:40 PM   #8
Prog-Rocker
just tryin to help

just for testing, can you plug the headset directly into the onboard jacks, bypassing the iMic, and then check the speed on the keyup clik while connected to a server.

also change the output/input device settings in vent setup.

does your wife also use the iMic with a headset?

Last edited by Prog-Rocker; 07-13-2011 at 02:22 PM.
Old 07-14-2011, 05:33 PM   #9
Jaycyn

Are you using an Apple Wireless Keyboard? (or any wireless keyboard)

And, I would suggest getting a cheap USB headset. The iMic is an awesome device but there are some issues that may creep up. The nicer logitech ones run about $35, but I have seen other brands in the $20 range.
Jaycyn is offline   Reply With Quote