Ventrilo Tech Support  

Go Back   Ventrilo Tech Support > Main Category > Windows Client

Old 06-13-2011, 08:34 AM   #1
Flame Guardian

Post Mic not working(Realtek HD Audio)

I have tried multiple microphones, my mic works on other computers. It has worked on this computer, until I uninstalled the on-board graphics card and re-installed a new one. My sound didn't work after this, so I re-installed my sound drivers and it resulted in my headphones/speakers working fine again.

Although, the microphone hasn't been working since. I've worked on it for 3 days straight pretty much, and I'm stuck. I have no idea why it won't work, I disabled my drivers, than uninstalled/re-installed three times. I've done many different things posted on different sites, I have no clue what is the problem.

Here is a picture of all my settings and such: http://oi51.tinypic.com/v7wbhf.jpg

Running on a HD Pavilion Slimline(Windows 7 64-bit), the new graphics card was a ATI Gigabyte HD5450 I believe.

If anyone can help, it'd be greatly appreciated. I need my mic for my job, and this has been a MAJOR problem for me.
Flame Guardian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 10:29 AM   #2
Prog-Rocker
just tryin to help

does the mic work in this test?

Windows Vista/Windows 7
Programs / Accessories / Sound Recorder / create a recording then save it
Windows Media Player (WMP) / playback recording
Prog-Rocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 11:41 AM   #3
Flame Guardian

Nope, with that and everything else. All that comes out of my mic is static.
Old 06-13-2011, 12:09 PM   #4
Prog-Rocker
just tryin to help

first try disabling the 'mic boost' and lower the mic slider to 50% for testing.
set the 'default format' to the lowest level (advanced tab)

in the realtek audio panel (from picture) set the playback slider to muted.

check the manufacturers website for driver updates.

Also check for BIOS and chipset updates

When checking for BIOS, chipset and certain onboard hardware drivers, you should only check the pc (or specific motherboard) manufacturers website for your make/model. The manufacturer is responsible for maintaining the proper version of driver for their specific hardware.
Old 06-13-2011, 01:50 PM   #5
Flame Guardian

I personally don't think it's a problem with the BIOS/Motherboard, since my mic worked perfectly fine up until I installed my graphics card. Whatever the case I'll still try anything since getting this mic working is a must. I googled my computer and couldn't figure out my motherboard.. It's a HP Pavilion Slimline s5213w

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/d...t=4006351#N572

I did all the steps on this, just to show some examples of what I already tried. I'll attempt at updating my M2N68-LA(narra5) and Phoenix - AwardBIOS v6.00PG now. Will report back in a bit.

Last edited by Flame Guardian; 06-13-2011 at 01:58 PM.
Old 06-13-2011, 02:01 PM   #6
Flame Guardian

I've been looking and I can't seem to find an upgrade for my motherboard/bios. Do you know where I would go to upgrade those? And I just re-installed my realtek driver a third time, this time I installed the original driver that came with the computer, still not working.
Old 06-13-2011, 03:14 PM   #7
Prog-Rocker
just tryin to help

i looked at HP's site and didn't see any updates for that model either.

looks like it only has 1 mic jack. suggest if it's still in warranty, take it to an auth'd HP dealer and have them check it. otherwise, it sounds like the mic input section of the realtek chip has gone bad since you tried different mics. an option to get around that is to use a USB headset.
Old 06-15-2011, 10:23 AM   #8
Flame Guardian

Would you think a USB headset would fix my problem? I was actually thinking of purchasing one, although there aren't really any USB ports to spare my computer as is :P
Old 06-15-2011, 11:27 AM   #9
Prog-Rocker
just tryin to help

usb headsets use their own interface for comms, which would bypass the onboard audio.

if you need to purchase a usb hub in order to fit all devices then i suggest getting a powered hub.