Ventrilo Tech Support  

Go Back   Ventrilo Tech Support > Main Category > Windows Client

Old 01-07-2011, 07:38 AM   #1
djzombie

Default Unable to connect to any server / ISP Blocking ventrilo

Hello!

I am having a problem with ventrilo. I can not connect any server, even with confirmed correct information.

Other computers on the same network have no problems connecting to the servers I am trying to connect to.

I believe my ISP is blocking ventrilo - linking the block my mac address. I've changed static IPs to something different and nothing changed.

They blocked steam the very same way and my steam connection was unaffected on the other computer on the same network as well.

My question was less about how to get ventrilo working(since I am very certain that the ISP is indeed block ventrilo because its in direct competition with pay services like vonage) and more about what my rights are regarding ventrilo.

It doesn't seem to me that my ISP should be able to legally just block whatever software they want unless it falls in the realm of illegal downloads, which ventrilo does not.

It would also seem that they don't really have a legal right or precedence to do this.

Is there any recourse I can take if they continue to refuse to unblock ventrilo.

To be clear - I am not trying to run a ventrilo server off my home machine, I am simply trying to connect to a friends ventrilo server.

Edit: BTW my ISP is optimum online.

Last edited by djzombie; 01-07-2011 at 07:44 AM.
djzombie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 02:43 PM   #2
Prog-Rocker
just tryin to help

Quote:
Other computers on the same network
is this referring to pc's on the same local network (ie: home lan) or other users on the optimum ISP network.

can you telnet to any of your servers? this will help determine if they're blocking the TCP or UDP packets

start > run
cmd {hit enter}
telnet serverhostname port#

(where serverhostname={the server ipaddress or hostname of the server you’re trying to connect to (found in vent client server setup)} and port#={port associated with that server}
(example: “telnet 75.125.43.51 3784” or “telnet www.myserver.com 3784” without the quotes)

If Telnet is able to connect then the screen will go blank. If not, then you will see an error message about not being able to connect.

Vista / Windows 7 and Telnet

Control-Panel / Programs and Features / Turn Windows features on or off / select “Telnet Client” / click OK
Prog-Rocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 07:44 PM   #3
djzombie

To answer your question - I was referring to other computers on the same local area network.

The only thing I can figure is that they were blocking my PC and linked the block to my desktops MAC address, because the block only affected the single PC, and changing the local IP did not change anything.

I am currently at work right now posting from my laptop so I won't be able to try what you suggested until tomorrow morning, but I will post my results when I get them, thanks for your suggestions.

I am on vista x64 btw, and I mentioned that my ISP blocked steam the same way, they blocked me from connecting on my desktop, but not my laptop that was residing on the same LAN as my desktop. They unblocked that yesturday, but they have yet to unblock ventrilo.

Thanks again I'll try what you suggested when I get home in the morning and let you know how it turns out.
Old 01-08-2011, 08:35 AM   #4
djzombie

I can ping the vent server just fine.
Code:
Pinging vent3.light-speed.com [66.55.143.227] with 32 bytes of data:
Reply from 66.55.143.227: bytes=32 time=12ms TTL=56
Reply from 66.55.143.227: bytes=32 time=11ms TTL=56
Reply from 66.55.143.227: bytes=32 time=10ms TTL=56
Reply from 66.55.143.227: bytes=32 time=11ms TTL=56

Ping statistics for 66.55.143.227:
    Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
    Minimum = 10ms, Maximum = 12ms, Average = 11ms
But weird things happen when i try to run a tracert...

Code:
Tracing route to vent3.light-speed.com [66.55.143.227]
over a maximum of 30 hops:

1     2 ms     2 ms     2 ms  ool-457c2d9e.dyn.optonline.net [69.124.45.158]
  2     8 ms     9 ms     9 ms  Djzombie-PC [0.0.0.0]
  3     8 ms     9 ms     9 ms  dstswr1-vlan2.rh.osngny.cv.net [67.83.231.33]
  4     *        *        *     Request timed out.
  5    13 ms    10 ms    11 ms  rtr4-tg10-2.wan.whplny.cv.net [64.15.8.29]
  6     *        *        *     Request timed out.
  7     *        *        *     Request timed out.
  8    11 ms    11 ms    11 ms  tge2-4-cr2.ewr2.choopa.net [66.55.128.162]
  9    10 ms    13 ms    11 ms  66.55.143.227.choopa.net [66.55.143.227]

Trace complete.
Code:
telnet wumn.guildvent.com 8101
Connecting To wumn.guildvent.com...Could not open connection to the host, on port 8101: Connect failed
8101 is the port for this specific server. I have also confirmed that I have all the correct info.

Just for giggles i tried the same telnet command with the default vent port 3784 and got the same result.
Old 01-08-2011, 11:21 AM   #5
Prog-Rocker
just tryin to help

retry the telnet as you have the wrong url in the command line

telnet vent3.light-speed.com 8101

also try connecting to this test server:

frost.pure-voice.net
port=3784 no password

then try booting into safe-mode w/networking just to see if it's something running in normal mode that's blocking

Restart Windows
Keep hitting the F8 function key before the Windows logo appears. You should see a list of options to choose from.
Select “Safe Mode with Networking”. This will boot windows into a very basic configuration but also allow network drivers to load.
Prog-Rocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 06:54 PM   #6
djzombie

the new telnet command returns the same result.

running the tracert on the laptop(on same LAN as desktop thats not working) returns the exact same wierd result, however that one is working fine.

I just tried a reinstall of vent on my desktop.. same result.

I tried safe mode with networking, same result.

At this point i firmly believe my ISP is blocking it. The same way they blocked steam only on my computer.

Even when I connect directly to the modem bypassing my router I can't connect.

Like I said, I've tried pretty much everything. I reinstalled my OS about 6 times across 3 different OS's and no change. So I really doubt at this point the problem is on my end.

BTW, can't connect to the test server.

At any rate - this thread was not about retrying stuff I've already tried 6 times, because I've pretty much determined my ISP is at fault.

What I did come here for was information on whether what they are doing is legal or not, and how I would go about getting them to unblock ventrilo when they so clearly refuse to do so.
Old 01-09-2011, 08:06 AM   #7
djzombie

I love it... today after sending a nasty email to the person administering this home network ventrilo magically starts working...

however.. now that i have steam installed.. and black ops successfully downloaded... i can't connect to black ops multiplayer servers...

its like there is a blanket block linked to my mac address on everything except things i've bitched about

im about to see if i can find a mac address spoofer to prove it.