Ventrilo Tech Support  

Go Back   Ventrilo Tech Support > Main Category > Macintosh Client

Old 12-16-2010, 06:36 PM   #11
ssomething

wow...

really? you think i couldnt solve that myself???

My problem is that it wont open! nothing happens when i double click it..
ssomething is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 12:38 PM   #12
Jaycyn

Just trying to be thorough.

I would suggest creating another user account and trying the download and install.

If it still does not work, you have something corrupted in your OS and it may be time for a reinstall or preferably and update.
Jaycyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 09:18 PM   #13
ssomething

so does anyone have an answer? ive misplaced my re-install disks and plus having to completely re-install everything would be mean re-installing WoW and so many other things...way too long
Old 01-05-2011, 01:06 PM   #14
Jaycyn

What was the result of my last suggestion?
Old 01-05-2011, 09:15 PM   #15
ssomething

I tried to install it on a different user however that did not work either. Ummm so there's nothing else to be done other than to update from Os X 10.4.11 tiger to 10.6 or 10.5? I can't raid without vent and it's quite distressing. If anyone at all has any ideas I'll be greatful. To give you some more info, for some reason I cannot download and install quite a few programs such as frostwire other simple PDF files and such. It downloads them to the desktop and I can't open them. However if anyone is familiar with the curse client, that for example downloads and installs just fine.
Old 01-06-2011, 12:07 PM   #16
Prog-Rocker
just tryin to help

don't take this as gospel but i think the curse client unzips directly to the addons folder whereas a regular install program writes the files to a temp folder before running the install.

I'll check to see if there's a log file saved for any install.
my mac skills aren't the best so if anyone has other info plz post.

this also might explain why you're having problems installing other programs.

looks like the log is saved in the /var/log folder

the filename is install.log

use a text editor to view. scroll to bottom for the latest entried

Last edited by Prog-Rocker; 01-06-2011 at 12:35 PM.
Prog-Rocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 02:14 PM   #17
ssomething

Umm, finally a bit of progress with this.

Thank you very much for taking the time to reply. I believe what you are saying is correct and that curse does immediately unzip in the addon folder.

What i dont understand is what to do about it? i dont exactly understand what you are saying by install.log and use a text editor.
Old 01-06-2011, 03:07 PM   #18
Jaycyn

Curse client does not unzip to the Add-ons folder.

It downloads as .dmg (disk image) file, which then needs to be double-clicked to mount the image. Once the image is mounted, the Curse application can then be dragged to the applications folder or wherever you want it. It doesn't install in the add ons folder - it just scans it (when the Curse application starts) to see what add-ons are installed.

Frostwire will not install on your Mac because it requires 10.5 or higher and you have 10.4. That's also the reason the other "PDF's" (applications?) won't install - they require 10.5 or higher as well.

The current issues you are experiencing are unusual, but can happen when an operating system is corrupted: you cannot use the built in uncompression, unarchiver does not work (it is certified to work under 10.4) and applications open and then immediately close.

This is an indication that the operating system is corrupted and needs to be reinstalled. It's really the only option.

I would suggest upgrading to 10.5 as that will improve your performance and get the Mac a little more up-to-date (10.4 was discontinued almost 4 years ago)

Last edited by Jaycyn; 01-06-2011 at 03:16 PM.
Old 01-06-2011, 03:08 PM   #19
Prog-Rocker
just tryin to help

the log file will hopefully indicate where the problems are with these installs. it should list the the program names and if the install was successful or what the exact errors were.

from the menu bar, select Go > go to folder > type in '/var/log' > then dbl-clik on 'install.log' > scroll to bottom and look for the beginning of the vent install.

also compare the messages to the other apps that are failing to install
Old 01-06-2011, 03:11 PM   #20
Prog-Rocker
just tryin to help

jaycyn,

can the mac installer be reloaded as a separate app like the windows installer used to able to in XP?