Ventrilo Tech Support  

Go Back   Ventrilo Tech Support > Main Category > Windows Client

Old 11-01-2010, 04:08 PM   #1
Cosh Holga

Default Ventrilo not connecting.

Here is my situation: The vent server I go to all the time just suddenly stopped connecting. Not normal connecting stop but you hit connect and the program just sits there with no error or sound like it didn't work. Tried this for 4 hr to see if it would eventually connect and no go. I went to a different vent server and works competently fine. Ive already tried the firewalls, virus, etc and nothing. I have never seen the program just hang there and do nothing why trying to connect. If anyone has seen this and had an idea how to fix I would greatly appreciate this. Also I tried to connect via a different vent account name and still nothing just sit there. I know people are on the vent and the server works fine just cant figure out my end.

Side note OS: Vista SP2, Kaspersky 2010, modem > ooma VOIP > Router > computer

Mind you this program worked fine just a few days ago and nothing was changed on the computer.
Cosh Holga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 04:57 PM   #2
Prog-Rocker
just tryin to help

try this first,

power-cycle the modem-router-pc to clear all cached data

the try booting into safe-mode to see if it will connect to that server

Booting Into Safe-Mode

Restart Windows
Keep hitting the F8 function key before the Windows logo appears. You should see a list of options to choose from.
Select “Safe Mode with Networking”. This will boot windows into a very basic configuration but also allow network drivers to load.

Start Ventrilo to see if it connects all the way. If it works properly then there is something that is loading during the normal boot that is interferring with the connections.
Prog-Rocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 11:17 AM   #3
dhopisthename

I have a similar problem, and tried your two solutions and neither worked. I little more info on my problem. It started out when I was in a vent server talking to some guys then it showed their mics being lit up but I never heard anything then about 2 minutes later I disconnected. I then tried to reconnect and got the hanging on the connect. it turns out that I am in vent server and people can see me, but I cannot see anything like vent channels and I don't get a ping, and cannot hear/ say anything. Couple of things I tried was a reformat, new account name, and a about 4 reinstalls of vent. I do not believe it is a connection issue as a different computer at my house can connect to the server, and I can connect to other servers just fine. Also, every once in a while(about once a day) I can connect to server just fine and have everything work, but it seems as soon as I start talking to other people the issue starts. I had vent working on this same setup below for quite a while and this is a new issue.

windows 7 64bit, microsoft security essentials
dhopisthename is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 05:56 PM   #4
Prog-Rocker
just tryin to help

@ dhop

are you running any other apps when the problem starts?

sounds like the problem might be localized to this pc.

Audio Driver

Check the Audio driver to make sure it is up to date. Or try re-installing the current driver.
(note: some USB Headsets do not require a driver)
(Don’t assume the driver is up to date as a newer one may have been released since the computer was built)

- If you have a brand-name PC, like Dell or HP, then check the manufacturers website for driver updates.
- If you built the PC and use the on-board sound device then check the motherboard manufacturers website for drivers for your model motherboard.
- If you use a plug-in soundcard, like SoundBlaster, then check that manufacturers website for drivers.

Also check for BIOS and chipset updates

Cyberlink Powercinema

Vent lockup or lag
http://forum.ventrilo.com/showthread.php?t=37949
Old 11-02-2010, 06:28 PM   #5
dhopisthename

the only apps that are running when this is running is steam, my logitech stuff, and my realtec audio manager. I just updated my bios, my chipset, my audio drivers(I use a usb headset, so I updated my motherboard and my usb headset), and none of them fix it. However I do seem to found a temporary solution in that if I click the join this server link from my clans homepage it seems to put me right in and then it lets me in for a while then if I exit after a while it does the same thing. eh scratch that it worked twice then not again

here are two pics that might help

before

and after I press connect this is all that happens

Last edited by dhopisthename; 11-02-2010 at 10:15 PM.
Old 11-03-2010, 03:34 PM   #6
Prog-Rocker
just tryin to help

looks like a problem with TCP packets getting blocked.

have you tried disabling all firewll/virus apps?

check the taskmanager/processes tab for any stubs of other firewall programs.
Old 11-03-2010, 03:42 PM   #7
dhopisthename

yes have removed all of them, and have set my computer up in a dmz mode
Old 11-03-2010, 04:23 PM   #8
Prog-Rocker
just tryin to help

does the window show the server name if you boot into safe-mode.

no matter what your server permissions are you should always see the server name.
Old 11-03-2010, 11:02 PM   #9
dhopisthename

thank you so much for you help, but I believe I have fixed it, When you said that it was a problem with packets being blocked, I went ahead and completely reset my router to factory settings it seems to have worked
Old 03-03-2011, 05:28 PM   #10
ElfLordDuir

Default help

we have a vent that changed the port # we can log in all other ports except our new 1, other ppl are not having problems plz help
ElfLordDuir is offline   Reply With Quote