Ventrilo Tech Support  

Go Back   Ventrilo Tech Support > Main Category > Macintosh Client

Old 08-22-2010, 02:40 AM   #1
redforty

Default Client not populating input boxes, unusable

Ok, I've had this problem since 3.02 and I was hoping it would get fixed with the latest release, but it hasn't.

When trying to edit any settings regarding PTT, the text box where the binding would be shown remains empty. There is no visual feedback as to which button is currently bound (even when trying to switch it to something else). However, the binding will hold 'invisibly'.

The problem gets worse when dealing with multiple servers under one username. When opening the server settings button, the name of the server will be at the top (dropdown menu), but all of the text fields will be blank. The information is still in the .ini file, but while these fields are blank, I cannot make a new server, or clone one, because I get this error:
Server '' has an empty host name. So I cannot make new server entries at this point without editing the .ini file. In this instance, the fields are not populated 'invisibly'. They are just blank. So when I try to save, it is as if there is nothing in them at all.

I'm on 10.6.4, but this problem has persisted since 10.6.3
redforty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 02:49 PM   #2
Prog-Rocker
just tryin to help

check for this:

There is a server in the list-of-servers that has no name. It also has no hostname defined for it. Delete the blank server name from the list.
Prog-Rocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 11:10 PM   #3
redforty

Thanks for your help, Prog-Rocker! I appreciate it.

All of the servers in my .ini file have names and ips. Of course, I cannot check them in vent because the boxes are all blank.

I tried deleting the .ini file and launched vent to see if it changes anything. All of my settings are gone, but the problem persists.

One more symptom of this problem:
Every time I click on 'PTT Hotkey', it tells me I need to turn on assistive devices. This setting is already on.

I've also gone and deleted the library > preferences > Ventrilo folder. Problem persists.

Last edited by redforty; 08-25-2010 at 11:28 PM.
Old 08-26-2010, 12:33 PM   #4
Prog-Rocker
just tryin to help

have you taken a look at the read/write permissions for the INI file and the ventrilo folder?
Prog-Rocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 12:24 AM   #5
redforty

I double checked just now. The folder and all items inside are read/write permissioned.

The problem persists. :-(
Old 09-01-2010, 01:45 PM   #6
Jaycyn

As a troubleshooting measure:

Create a new user account on your Mac, install vent in that account and try it. let us know the result.
Jaycyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 11:57 PM   #7
redforty

Oh my! I created a new account and tried installing Vent. It held the contact info and properly populated the boxes!

Ok, so does this help narrow down the problem? I can't really just switch users when I need to use vent.

Thank you so much for helping me out with this.
Old 09-20-2010, 01:29 PM   #8
Jaycyn

okay - sounds like you have either a permissions issue with Vent or corrupted preferences on your user account.

The first step to fix it is to boot from your operating system CD, use disk utility and repair disk, followed by repair permissions.

Start from your Mac OS X Install disc: Insert the installation disc, then restart the computer while holding the C key.
When your computer finishes starting up from the disc, select your language, choose Disk Utility from the Installer menu.
Click the First Aid tab.
Click the disclosure triangle to the left of the hard drive icon to display the names of your hard disk volumes and partitions.
Select your Mac OS X volume.
Click Repair. Disk Utility checks and repairs the disk.
Click Repair Permissions. Disk Utility repair permissions. Ignore the errors - they are normal.
Quit Disk utility and restart

Try Vent again.

Do that and let us know.

Last edited by Jaycyn; 09-20-2010 at 01:31 PM.
Old 10-07-2010, 01:04 AM   #9
redforty

Thanks again Jaycyn,
I did what you asked and booted from the Snow Leopard disc and ran the disk repair then repair permissions. It did fix some things, but none related to the vent folder.
I restarted and tried vent again. The problem persists.
I checked the preferences folder to make sure read&write permissions were on and they were. The .ini file gets written to, but vent just won't retrieve any of the info if it exists in a text box (pulldowns will store info). Such a weird problem.

Any other ideas?
Old 10-07-2010, 01:21 PM   #10
Jaycyn

I think the next step should be a reinstall of the operating system. With a 10.6.x installation, it will install a fresh OS and bring in your existing user data.

Boot from your 10.6 DVD and do the install. After installing, make sure to run your Software Update repeatedly until it says there are no more updates to install. After doing that, you may want to reinstall Vent as well.

Try that and let us know.