Ventrilo Tech Support  

Go Back   Ventrilo Tech Support > Main Category > Windows Client

Old 06-17-2010, 08:22 PM   #1
AumuA

Default Virtual Audio Cable (VAC) - Windows 7 - no stereo playback

Hello and I have done some searching on this with no definitive answers. I am running Windows 7 Ultimate x64, Ventrilo 3.0.5 32 bit, my sound card is an external M-audio firewire box (on board sound disabled in BIOS).

I have everything set up to play music and talk over vent. I am running two instances of vent, with two different users.

The left instance is my music bot, the right instance is my regular vent user. I am also monitoring the music playback through the right instance.

I though everything was working great, until I played a track with a well defined stereo separation and found that the sound is not coming through vent in stereo. It's not mono either, more like 2 right side channels playing.

The VAC, my sound card, and my music player (foobar) are all set up and working correctly, because when I use the VAC audio repeater app to monitor the sound, it comes out right. So it is not making the translation through vent somehow.

Hopefully this thread can answer some questions for people, because I doubt this is an isolated problem.
AumuA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 01:37 AM   #2
AumuA

Default bump

Still no success in stereo playback through vent. It plays only the right channel through both speakers. Could this be the server I am going through?
Old 06-24-2010, 11:05 AM   #3
Prog-Rocker
just tryin to help

sorry, i meant to set this up to test but have been using that pc for vista testing.

i'll try to duplicate this
Prog-Rocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2010, 03:28 AM   #4
AumuA

Ok one quick question. Is ventrilo capable of stereo playback? I assumed that it was, because it says surround sound right on the front page, but in this thread a moderator said mono only.

http://forum.ventrilo.com/showthread.php?t=27613

What I am looking for is a true stereo throughput, not a "stereo mix". I was able to bypass using VAC altogether by routing physically from my m-audio box into my onboard audio, so I am essentially using two sound cards, and I have the same exact issue. VAC has nothing to do with it, so don't waste your time looking at that.

Last edited by AumuA; 06-26-2010 at 03:43 AM.
Old 06-26-2010, 03:43 AM   #5
AumuA

I think I am slowly understanding what's going on. Ventrilo only transmits one outgoing channel (mono), but you can assign different incoming users to different speakers (up to 7.1 surround). Do I got it right here?
Old 06-27-2010, 01:00 PM   #6
Roblivionx

SO what is the solution?

On anything with good stereo separation music either sounds muddy or you can't hear half the song.
Roblivionx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2010, 01:54 PM   #7
Roblivionx

I did the following things and I got it so you aren't losing one channel and the music quality in vent is quite good.

Switched channels in control panel to 1 to 1. (vc)
Changed the properties in playback and recording to 1 channel 48k.

And it seems to have solved the issue.
Roblivionx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 08:01 PM   #8
AumuA

Absolutely that will work, and it will sound fine, most people listening to it will not know the difference. But I've come to realize that what I wanted to do (true stereo music streaming) is not possible with the current version of vent, not without asking people to set up their clients for it, which is too much. I got excited when I saw "surround sound communication" but it's not what quite I thought it was.

Of course Ventrilo is still a great program.

Last edited by AumuA; 06-28-2010 at 08:05 PM.
Old 10-05-2010, 09:38 PM   #9
Dirge

@Roblivionx

Could you explain in more detail "exactly" what you did to improve the audio? I am having the same problem with my music channel in Ventrilo . I'm not sure what control panel and options you are talking about. Any help would be great!

Dirge - Silvermoon (Alliance)
Dirge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 09:43 PM   #10
Dirge

BTW, The only solution I could come up with was to tell my music host (Winamp) to play all the songs in Forced Mono. It seems to work but the quality dropped a little bit.
Dirge is offline   Reply With Quote