Ventrilo Tech Support  

Go Back   Ventrilo Tech Support > Main Category > Windows Client

Old 03-01-2009, 11:34 AM   #1
Maccus

Default Robot Voice and Static / Distortion

Hey all,

I have a problem with Ventrilo that ive never had before and i just cant seem to fix it.

Occasionnaly when i talk people hear me as a robot voice. Its really annoying to be told that you are "Robot" mid sentence.

The things i've tried to fix it -

1) Tried 2 different soundcard, Realtek onbaord and Soundblaster Xfi USB - problem happens with both

2) Tried 3 different headsets, my orginal set, a new set i bought, and the free set that came with my soundcard - the problem happens with all

3) Changed my graphics card - Problem happens with both cards i have

4) Changed my power supply - Problem happens with both PSU's

5) Performed a completely fresh install of windows xp pro - Problem still persists

6) Used newest and older drivers for soundcards, and graphic cards - Problem still persists

7) Tried changing Ventrilo codecs - Problem still persists

8) Changed between direct sound and soundcard in the setup menu - Problem still persists

9) Changed my hardware acceleration in direct x, both for grapshics cards and sound cards - Problem still persists

10) Changed my motherboard PCI latency bus bandwidth to priotise sound - Problem still persists

Cant really think what else to try tbh. The ventrilo faq says its not a ventrilo problem, but cmon, after all the above i tried i can only see it being a ventrilo problem.

Anyone has any other suggestions as to what could be causing it. The funny thing is, it never used to do it, in fact i never heard of the problem before until i had it myself.

One day it was working fine, the next it wasnt.

any help appreciated, as im almost to the point of not bothering to use Vent any more, which would probably mean i stop gaming aswell, which is something i dont want to do
Maccus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 04:02 PM   #2
mjgraf

please post a screenshot of your Setup > Voice tab.
mjgraf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 11:58 PM   #3
Maccus

There she is -

http://s5.tinypic.com/33kstur.jpg

Ive tried changing nearly all of these settings, even the push to talk key to another key. Still get robot voice

It's driving me nutz

Last edited by Maccus; 03-03-2009 at 12:04 AM. Reason: Changed from image shack to tinypic, image shack wouldnt link for some reason
Old 03-03-2009, 09:47 AM   #4
Prog-Rocker
just tryin to help

in vent setup/voice-binds-speech tabs, set the output/input device boxes to whichever soundcard you're using. (instead of default)

set the outbound amplifier=0
Prog-Rocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 11:07 AM   #5
Maccus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prog-Rocker View Post
in vent setup/voice-binds-speech tabs, set the output/input device boxes to whichever soundcard you're using. (instead of default)

set the outbound amplifier=0
Tried and tested.

Still robot voice.

The only reason i have direct sound now is because someone suggested using direct sound in the input / output boxes instead of my soundcard to try and fix the problem.
Old 03-03-2009, 03:21 PM   #6
mjgraf

have you tried increasing the process priority to high in setup?
Old 03-03-2009, 06:54 PM   #7
Maccus

Ye it is and has been on high since i changed it and was one of the earliest things i tried.

It's a real mystrey tbh. I can talk for 1-2 hours and it is all fine.

Then suddenly people say "ROBOT VOICE" and i feel like smashing my monitor in lol.

Someone recorded me and it is like darth vadar ^^

Short of buying a new PC to see if that fixes it i have simply run out of ideas why its happening
Old 03-04-2009, 03:30 PM   #8
mjgraf

try this as a workaround for now.
in the binding editor there is a setting to reset sound input device.
create a bind and when people tell you that you are sounding like Luke's father, hit this bind.
Old 03-04-2009, 09:21 PM   #9
Maccus

Today i was on ventrilo all day, it worked fine. Then all of a suddin, robot voice for 6-7 minutes, then it was fine again. So the above method although im sure works really isnt a fix. (but thnx for suggesting it)

Im going to try another format, and reinstall everything from brand new.

Ive got all new hardware since the problem first started and tried various drivers and different setting to no avail. The only thing i havent replaced is motherboard + ram + hardrive.

If it does it again after a fresh install it can only be something to do with the software, means vent itself, drivers or windows. Or my mother board, ram or harddrive is causing it.

The thing is, ive had this PC for around a year now, and vent has always worked fine on it. the only things that have changed that could make it worse imo is drivers or vent updates. Or something has gone rong with my hardware (like ram) although i doubt this bcoz teamspeak and in game microphone never seems to go wrong.

Reformatting is such a pain in the arse, takes me at least 20 hours to get everything i have cleanly installed again.

But am at the last resort, with no other apparent options.

The ventrilo FAQ's say it isnt vent that is at fault. But if its not vent, then what is it?

Ive seen alot of other people with this problem as ive tried to search for a fix, and its always with ventrilo it happens, so i cant see any other fault than with vent itself.
Old 06-02-2010, 11:10 AM   #10
Wipeout

Default Has this issue been resolved?

If so, how? I am having the exact same issue with the dark side of the force seeping out...when I do a "test" in setup, I sound fine, but guildies are screaming at me to shut up, it sounds horrible
Wipeout is offline   Reply With Quote