Ventrilo Tech Support  

Go Back   Ventrilo Tech Support > Main Category > Macintosh Client

Old 05-08-2010, 12:42 PM   #1
sunflower

Default headset mic doesn't work, builtin does

I have Ventrilo 3.0.4 and a new iMac with 10.6.3.
I cannot figure out how to get my headset mic to work.
It seems to work with the builtin mic -- I haven't verified anyone can hear me, but when I test it will play back what I said. I am using PTT.

I can't get it to work with my headset mic. It's an inexpensive Plantronics analog headset, and I used it successfully with Vent on my previous computer, but that was fairly different hardware (it was the last G5 iMac) and was Tiger, not Snow Leopard. Probably an earlier Ventrilo client too.

It has also been a while since I used it, so it's possible the headset mic just broke or something, but I don't use it for anything else so I haven't figured out how to test that. The headphone half of it works.

This headset has a slider with Mute, Low, and High, and it never seemed like Mute did anything anyway, but for now it's on High.

In the Sound preferences, my choices under Input are
name type
Internal microphone Built-in Microphone
Line in Built-in Input

and in Ventrilo setup, my choices are Built-in Microphone and Built-in Input. When I choose Built-in Input it doesn't pick up anything when I use Test, and when I Monitor it's all zeros. It does seem to work when I use Built-in Microphone.

I went down the troubleshooting list and other than it refers to things like "unknown usb" which I don't have, since it isn't USB, I think I have done everything on the list.

This headset came with an "adapter": a usb plug with mic/headset jacks on the other end. I have never used it, and can't find it, but would it be helpful to test with that if I can find it?

This sure seems like user error, I just can't find my error.
sunflower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 01:05 PM   #2
Jaycyn

If it isn't USB, how are your plugging it in?

If it's an analog Mic (i.e. your are plugging into the audio input), it will not work. The analog inputs require a powered Microphone. If that's the case, I would recommend spending $30 (or less) and get yourself a USB one - that will just make life a lot easier.
Jaycyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 07:28 PM   #3
sunflower

It's analog, but it did work with the previous iMac. Is the hardware that different? The old one was the last G5 iMac. The new one is the current low-end Intel one.

I just found the usb adapter thing that came with it, I'll see how that works.
Old 05-12-2010, 12:57 PM   #4
Jaycyn

Well, the hardware is not that different. However, the Microphone inputs require a powered mic for it to work (i.e. a line level mic will not work)

Let us know if the USB adapter works (it should).
Jaycyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 12:19 AM   #5
sunflower

All I know about that is, it doesn't look like a powered headset, but it worked on the old computer. I suppose it is possible I was using the built-in mic the whole time on that computer and didn't realize it...

It does work now with the USB adapter, and I think this is better anyway, because now I can have Ventrilo use the headset while the rest of the computer doesn't. No more unplugging the headset whenever not using Vent!

Thanks for the help.