Ventrilo Tech Support  

Go Back   Ventrilo Tech Support > Main Category > Macintosh Client

Old 11-06-2009, 05:43 PM   #1
CTump

Default Unable to connect.

I am trying to connect to a Server. I know the log in information is correct as I have been able to connect to the server using another computer on the same network. On my mac however I am not able to connect to the server. I enter the log in information and it stays at MSG: Contacting Server.

Any help would be appreciated.
CTump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010, 03:50 PM   #2
Support @ TypeFrag.com

The two main issues that result in this message are: 1. Typos in the hostname/IP or port number, and 2. Firewall issues.

First, make sure that the hostname/IP and port number are entered correctly in the Connection Editor. Any typos will cause you to be stuck Contact Server. Second, make sure that you have any firewalls on your computer or router turned off. Firewalls will often interfere with Ventrilo, and prevent it from connecting to servers.
Support @ TypeFrag.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010, 06:07 PM   #3
mawclaw

I also am having this issue.....HI recently purchased a new computer with windows 7. I have disabled everything I can think of that could get in the way of connecting (firewall, antivirus) also completely deleting and re-downloading and installing the program again. After I have put all the server info in...all I get is this in the window before clicking connect " ? MSG: contacting server" And just for fun I click connect anyway and status does not change.... So....Here is what I found in the log file...

2010-08-11 17:26:09 Unable to open system registry key to read data.
2010-08-11 17:27:15 CEvtText::Read, Unable to open file C:\Users\Bill\AppData\Roaming\Ventrilo\default.vet
2010-08-11 17:27:15 Creating the default VET file 'C:\Users\Bill\AppData\Roaming\Ventrilo\default.ve t'

However, the date and time stamps have not changed even after I "thought" I uninstalled, reinstalled, redownloaded etc. I am running windows 7 64bit so would very much appreciate some assistance in this matter. Again I have quadruple checked the server info and I can connect using another computer but this one....
mawclaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010, 06:16 PM   #4
mawclaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by mawclaw View Post
I also am having this issue.....HI recently purchased a new computer with windows 7. I have disabled everything I can think of that could get in the way of connecting (firewall, antivirus) also completely deleting and re-downloading and installing the program again. After I have put all the server info in...all I get is this in the window before clicking connect " ? MSG: contacting server" And just for fun I click connect anyway and status does not change.... So....Here is what I found in the log file...

2010-08-11 17:26:09 Unable to open system registry key to read data.
2010-08-11 17:27:15 CEvtText::Read, Unable to open file C:\Users\Bill\AppData\Roaming\Ventrilo\default.vet
2010-08-11 17:27:15 Creating the default VET file 'C:\Users\Bill\AppData\Roaming\Ventrilo\default.ve t'

However, the date and time stamps have not changed even after I "thought" I uninstalled, reinstalled, redownloaded etc. I am running windows 7 64bit so would very much appreciate some assistance in this matter. Again I have quadruple checked the server info and I can connect using another computer but this one....
Oh yeah, I forgot to mention that none of those file paths seem to exist on the computer. And if uninstalling and reinstalling won't direct vent to the proper place I don't really know what else to do with it? Of course this may be unrelated and therefore useless information but I'm pretty sure I've done EVERYTHING possible to fix the problem... Ran out of ideas /sigh.
mawclaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 12:55 PM   #5
Support @ TypeFrag.com

You will want to be sure that you are attempting to connect to a valid Ventrilo server. Double-check the Hostname/IP and Port Number to ensure that you have the correct information provided in your Connection Editor.

Also, you will need to utilize the Windows Add/Remove Programs utility in your Control Panel to completely remove Ventrilo from your system. You can also achieve this by typing "%appdata%" in the Run utility and simply delete the Ventrilo folder from your Application Data folder. You will then be able to reinstall Ventrilo without populating any pre-existing data.

If you're connecting through a Router, try connecting your PC directly to the modem. If the router is needed, you may be able to contact the manufacturer for further assistance with DMZ/Port Forwarding which will allow the necessary UDP Ports to be opened.

You will also want to make sure that Windows Firewall is disabled, and Ventrilo has been removed from the Exceptions tab of the Firewall. Another option is to power down your modem for 15-20 seconds to establish a fresh connection to your ISP's Network.

Please let us know if the above recommendations do not resolve your issue.
Support @ TypeFrag.com is offline   Reply With Quote