Ventrilo Tech Support  

Go Back   Ventrilo Tech Support > Main Category > Macintosh Client

Old 06-22-2009, 08:26 PM   #1
ThomasTJP

Default Uncontrollable Lag/Ping Spikes.

I don't understand it, nor will I ever. I have ventured throughout the internet trying to figure out a way to fix this problem, found many of the same problems on these forums as well.

The Problem:

I own a vent (Yes, this even happens in the vent I paid $100 for). I join in, works fine. I talk for maybe 10 seconds... everything is OK. Then my friends have to yell at me that I'm lagging again, I have to click on Vent and look at the 6-25K ping that appears on the ping portion on vent. I then have to disconnect/reconnect back to talk to my friends again. Happens every time I log in and I only have a window of maybe 5-10 seconds before I become unheard.

- This happens on EVERY vent I have on my list -

The worst part? I open up a browser; pages open up lightning fast. It's not my connection. I know that the solution to this is probably a port forwarding, and for the most part I know how to do it. (I am a noob with the technical router stuff)

I don't know the Port that I need to forward, nor do I know how to create a static IP and find the DNS server (I think I need to contact my ISP for this, but inform me please).

If anyone has this same problem and found out how to fix it, I would REALLY appreciate it!

Machine Specs:

MacBook
Mac OS X 10.5.6
2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo Processor
150G Hard drive - if it matters

Routter Specs:

D-Link DIR 655

What I Need:

If you'll be kind enough to help, I'll need a pretty step-by-step overview on how to Port Forward (Including the Port Number that I need to forward) - Then I need to know how to generate a static IP correctly - I really don't want to screw it up.
ThomasTJP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 08:48 PM   #2
Prog-Rocker
just tryin to help

sounds like the problem is on the upload side.

what's your bandwidth when the lagging starts? www.speedtest.net
Prog-Rocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 09:15 PM   #3
ThomasTJP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prog-Rocker View Post
sounds like the problem is on the upload side.

what's your bandwidth when the lagging starts? www.speedtest.net
On the Download Side: 18.77 Mb/s
On the Upload Side: 4.95 Mb/s
Ping: 26MS

It's more of a vent-related (probably port) problem. I think it has to do with the router more than anything - it is set to high security restrictions...

Oh and the lag only occurs when I'm speaking, that's when it starts to spike. Makes absolutely no sense to me. Other than that, my browser speed is exceptional.
Old 06-22-2009, 09:26 PM   #4
Prog-Rocker
just tryin to help

just for testing, can you plug the mac into the router's DMZ port, or better yet, directly into the modem (if the modem is separate). reboot both devices to make sure they sync up.

who's your ISP?
we've seen other users have problems on the upload side because their ISP is using packet-shaping and tagging vent packets for low-priority, which causes lag.
Prog-Rocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 09:33 PM   #5
ThomasTJP

I can't plug the mac into the Router at the moment - it's inaccessible. My ISP is Optimum Online.
Old 06-24-2009, 01:21 AM   #6
smtips

Default Routers and stuff

Your connection is great, your ping time is great on speedtest.net. Your router sux. It's extremely hard to get any settings to actually STAY on D-Link routers. I have one and I DMZ it whenever I have a port issue, I've tried everything and it just refuses to keep settings, screws them up whenever I restart, hook another computer up, whatever...and this is pretty well documented online about D-link routers.

But for that issue...I suggest you google how to do the port forwarding it may work fine. If not...DMZ the router in the settings...unless you're really scared your mac will download and install executable files completely on its own (ala WINDOZE). That will open it completely up...better still do what was already suggested and elimitate the router from the mix.

Reinstall Ventrilo...completely....use AppZapper and remove it totally.

The only other issue would be that your Mac's network connection is bad...biut very unlikely because of the good tests anywhere but vent.

Try another chat program...ichat, whatever...see if you're getting the same thing in those.

Try another mic...maybe yours has a short in it causing huge lag.

Of course your problem would start when you try to talk and not another time. There's no data traveling until you talk

Otherwise...if the technical support from ventrilo won't help you, ask for your money back.

Last edited by smtips; 06-24-2009 at 01:23 AM.
smtips is offline   Reply With Quote