Ventrilo Tech Support  

Go Back   Ventrilo Tech Support > Main Category > Macintosh Client

Old 03-16-2009, 06:09 PM   #1
Dragonwalker

Unhappy Failed to get encoder for specified codec

this is the error message I am getting when trying to use Vent. The full message also states

this client platform currently supports only the speex codec. the server and or channel is configured to use 'GSM 6.10' codec.

The vent was set up by a friend in my guild so I am not 100% sure what settings he has chosen - but as the GM, I need to be able to communicate with all my guildies.
Is this something that can be adjusted or do i need to do something more involved. Thanks for the help!!
Dragonwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 05:00 PM   #2
mjgraf

the server admin needs to change the server default codec to Speex.
mjgraf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 11:53 AM   #3
Lilmon

I'm having the same problem but only once in a while when I log into someone else's vent. When you say server admin, do you mean the persons vent that I'm trying to log in to? Will that mess up the other people in vent? Why is it only effecting me? Is it cause I'm on a Mac? I tried to change mine to speex in the set-up menu but it just defaults back to gsm 6.10 ??
Lilmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 04:50 PM   #4
mjgraf

Lilmon
the owner of the server will need to change this.
The Mac client only supports the Speex codec.
mjgraf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 12:31 AM   #5
dCoyr

When will ventrilo for mac use GSM 6.10 codex.
dCoyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 09:46 AM   #6
wadesworld

Quote:
Originally Posted by dCoyr View Post
When will ventrilo for mac use GSM 6.10 codex.
It will not unless Apple integrates support into the OS and since they've gone 20 years without doing so, it's unlikely at best.

Have the server administrator change the server to Speex.
wadesworld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2009, 01:43 AM   #7
LoneIgadzra

The bigger problem is most server admins can't be bothered to do this, so why isn't Speex the default?

Every time I've been in this situation and asked nicely for a codec change, I've just been told "**** you". Changing the default would pretty much solve this problem for Mac users connecting to random Vent servers (which happens all the time).

Actually, I'm clueless about the tech, but why is OS-level support required for GSM? Doesn't Vent do the decoding, not the OS?

Last edited by LoneIgadzra; 03-21-2009 at 01:50 AM.
LoneIgadzra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 02:26 PM   #8
Hipplewm

GSM requires Apple to pay for the rights to use it in there OS. They have refused for 20 years, mainly due to some Legal battles over QT and some other stuff if my old memory serves me right. I would think pigs will fly and rocks will float before it will ever happen.
Hipplewm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 07:04 PM   #9
jgomberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hipplewm View Post
GSM requires Apple to pay for the rights to use it in there OS. They have refused for 20 years, mainly due to some Legal battles over QT and some other stuff if my old memory serves me right. I would think pigs will fly and rocks will float before it will ever happen.
This is untrue. As I indicated in another post:

No one owns any intellectual property rights (IPR) on GSM 6.10 or on any routines for encoding or decoding it. This is common knowledge.

The Microsoft MS-GSM is NOT the same thing as GSM 6.10, but is different enough that MS holds (or held) a patent. And the Phillips patent which was applied for 4 years after ETSI released GSM 6.10 is related but also different from GSM 6.10.

The authors are entitled to determine where their development time and efforts are best spent. There may be valid economic reasons for not implementing it into the Mac client. I would prefer to hear from the authors on the subject rather than conjecture from the members.

Last edited by jgomberg; 04-14-2009 at 07:07 PM.
jgomberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 10:35 PM   #10
wadesworld

Quote:
The authors are entitled to determine where their development time and efforts are best spent. There may be valid economic reasons for not implementing it into the Mac client. I would prefer to hear from the authors on the subject rather than conjecture from the members.
It's not conjecture in my case. Flagship has told me personally that he has no plans to implement GSM support unless Apple adds it to the OS. He'd have to be the one to expound on his reasons.
wadesworld is offline   Reply With Quote