Ventrilo Tech Support  

Go Back   Ventrilo Tech Support > Main Category > Macintosh Client

Old 08-27-2008, 05:35 PM   #1
rmpel

Default Ventrilo + Mac = ??? (this might help you)

Hi all.

First; I'm not aiming to promote third party software; I'm not affiliated in any way with any of the software i mention here.
This post contains several registered trademarks of other companies and all rights to those are with the respective companies.
I'm typing this to help people, not to earn money or enforce certain software or ideas.

A common theme for discussion is;
Why doesn't the mac client support GSM 6.10 ?

The short answer is; It will never happen; GSM 6.10 is outdated and qualitywise inferior (as I am led to believe on this forum).

For Ventrilo/Mac to use GSM 6.10, Apple needs to integrate GSM 6.10 into the os and they won't because it is outdated.

I'm typing this to tell you; with the right software you CAN get GSM 6.10 Ventrilo working on your mac, but it's not quite what you might think.

Please note; if you can change your server codex to Speex, DO SO, you can use the native MAC client and everyone is happy.
If not; you could run Ventrilo i386/Win in a virtual machine (parallels or vmware) but, as I discoverred, this is far far from optimal.

The solution I chose is this;

1. Crossover Mac (commercial software, see codeweavers.com)
2. Ventrilo i386/win client
3. the following tweaks;
3.a. You will have to install the ACM file; msgsm32.acm has to be placed in your crossover bottle/drive_c/windows/system32 (you can get this file from any windows xp installation or, most probably, the internet)
3.b. You will need to edit the system.ini file in the drive_c/windows folder to include
MSACM.msgsm610=msgsm32.acm
in the [drivers32] section.
restart Crossover and launch ventrilo.

Enjoy

If you have problems with me posting this here, please tell me so in a civilized manner. Again; I only posted this because I think it can help a lot of people and I wanted my 4 hour search not to be for myself alone.

If you have more questions, I'll be happy to answer them. Leave a comment on this board and I'll get back to you (but don't expect immediate answers)

Good luck all and happy voiping

Remon.

p.s., I haven't got the push to talk working yet in this setup; if anyone is successful there, please let the community know

Last edited by rmpel; 08-27-2008 at 05:40 PM.
rmpel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2008, 09:05 PM   #2
Eccentor

Too bad this won't work for PowerPC based Macs (yeah yeah I know I need to upgrade, but I can't be the only one).

Alternatively, if the developer would just make Speex the default on fresh server installs, it would at least prevent this problem for any future servers that people download...
Eccentor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2008, 08:39 AM   #3
rmpel

Default I agree

I agree on the motion that new server version should force Speex as default. I know, forced upgrades are a bit of a Microsoft trade, but in this case it might be a good thing.

Unfortunately, this is completely dependent on server maintenance. If the server isn't upgraded .... well, you catch my drift.
rmpel is offline   Reply With Quote