Ventrilo Tech Support  

Go Back   Ventrilo Tech Support > Main Category > Macintosh Client

Old 02-25-2008, 11:15 AM   #1
Eiune

Default Vent Codec

is it possible for a vent server to run two codecs, i.e speex, and gsm so that mac users can select the speex to connect to the server while pc's still use the higher quality g.s.m codec.?~?!?!?
Eiune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 03:12 PM   #2
wadesworld

The GSM codec is not higher quality.

But yes, if your server is a professionally hosted server, you can setup per-channel codecs.
wadesworld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 08:42 PM   #3
Uziel

Quote:
Originally Posted by wadesworld View Post
The GSM codec is not higher quality.

But yes, if your server is a professionally hosted server, you can setup per-channel codecs.
Is there a Speex codec above 32Khz, 16bit, 5520 bytes/second?
I'm the admin for Eiune's server and we are currently using GSM 6.10 44Khz, 16bit, 89905 bytes/second on Pure Voice hosting.

Admin CP shows:
Uziel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 10:43 PM   #4
wadesworld

Quote:
I'm the admin for Eiune's server and we are currently using GSM 6.10 44Khz, 16bit, 89905 bytes/second on Pure Voice hosting.
There's more that goes into voice quality than bitrate.
Old 02-26-2008, 06:35 AM   #5
Uziel

Quote:
Originally Posted by wadesworld View Post
There's more that goes into voice quality than bitrate.
We pay extra for the bitrate and most users notice large quality differences and no one sounds like a robot. Are you saying Pure Voice is ripping us off and guilty of false advertising?

Last edited by Uziel; 02-26-2008 at 08:19 AM.
Old 02-26-2008, 10:36 AM   #6
Prog-Rocker
just tryin to help

the 32-16-10 is the highest speex codec available on the server. to change an individual channel, log in as admin / rt-clik the channel name / edit / select codec
Prog-Rocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 11:48 AM   #7
Uziel

OK, can do that. What would users have to do if anything?
Old 02-26-2008, 11:50 AM   #8
Prog-Rocker
just tryin to help

they might have to disconnect/re-connect to see the codec change. but that's all.
Prog-Rocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 03:24 PM   #9
wadesworld

Quote:
We pay extra for the bitrate and most users notice large quality differences and no one sounds like a robot. Are you saying Pure Voice is ripping us off and guilty of false advertising?
No, I'm saying codec quality is a subjective thing. It's even measured by MOS, or "Mean Opinion Score." They get a bunch of people to listen to samples of each codec, and they rank them as to how good they think they sound.

Additionally, there's a lot of differences in the quality of the sound that the codec produces. I guarantee you 8K Speex sounds better than MELP or CELP at even double the bitrates. G.729 often sounds better than other codecs even at the same bitrate, and that's one reason it costs a fortune to license (and is most often found in hardware products).

So, the overall point is, Speex is not a "low-quality" codec where GSM is "high quality." Spend a lot of time listening to highest-bitrate/quality Speex and highest-bitrate/quality GSM and see if you think there's a substantial difference worth paying extra money for and consuming huge chunks of bandwidth. On my server, we use a very moderate Speex setting (3/20) and we've had absolutely zero complaints on voice quality (or even music when we do that). On a *very* rare occasion, we'll get someone that has a problem, but in every case so far, the issue has been with their sound card drivers.

If you feel that there's such a wide gap between highest-bitrate GSM and highest-bitrate Speex, then by all means, go for it. However, keep in mind that no Mac users will ever be able to participate - but that's your choice.
Old 02-27-2008, 09:52 PM   #10
mjgraf

also, that GSM bytes/sec is incorrect.
it is 8905 bytes/sec
mjgraf is offline   Reply With Quote