Ventrilo Tech Support  

Go Back   Ventrilo Tech Support > Main Category > Server

Old 01-24-2008, 07:55 PM   #1
VenomHowell

Default Can connect locally, and LAN IP, but not through internet IP.

I'll give a quick rundown of my setup before I go further here;

I have a speedstream 4200 modem/router thing which receives an outside address and has an accessible component at 192.168.2.1, connected to the internet port of a WRT54G Linksys Router (192.168.1.1) whose 4th port is routed to the 1st port of a Linksys BEFW11S4 router (192.168.1.2). The second router has DHCP disabled and pretty much serves little purpose beyond extending the amount of ports available to me. Both my laptop and desktop are connected by ethernet cable to the WRT54G primary router.

Anyways, earlier today, I was setting up my refurbished laptop to serve as something of a drone on the network- a computer whose sole purpose is to run media servers and other various servers and simple storage. Now, I've been using Vent 3.0.2 just fine for quite some time now with absolutely no issue, but when I changed my port forward settings in the WRT54G router to reflect the laptop, I could connect through localhost and through other computers on my network just fine, but the internet IP address simply would not work... I thought fine, it's ok if I have the vent server running off my main computer; it's only a small server for a couple friends of mine, so I reversed the port settings back to reflect my desktop computer. Nothing else was changed whatsoever, but... Lo and behold, I now could not connect to a vent server running from my desktop computer.

This was definitely puzzling. The only thing that was changed at all on my desktop was a few sharing priveleges so that I could move files over to my laptop, but that was soon disabled as well. Try as I might, I could not get the server to work again on my desktop at all, and as I fiddled with the settings on my computer the situation steadily degenerated until I had to do a factory reset. Now, I've gotten everything up and running fine again, except the vent server on either computer.

Ventrillo.com status report sees it as down, my friends can't connect, and I'm generally completely lost. The software hasn't changed whatsoever, so I imagine it might be a router issue, but I was unable to resolve the situation by forwarding each port separately for TCP and UDP or DMZing.

I think it's self explanatory, but in the readouts that follow, *** represents an area I have edited out.

Vent ini readout:

[Server]

Name=******
Phonetic=
Port=3784
Auth=0
Duplicates=1
AdminPassword=****
Password=****
MaxClients=8
SendBuffer=0
RecvBuffer=0
Diag=0
LogonTimeout=5
CloseStd=1
TimeStamp=0
PingRate=10
ExtraBuffer=0
ChanWidth=0
ChanDepth=0
ChanClients=0
DisableQuit=1
VoiceCodec=3
VoiceFormat=32
SilentLobby=0
AutoKick=0

[Intf]

# Examples:
#
# Intf=192.168.0.30
# Intf=external.********.com
# Intf=internal.********.com
# Intf=127.0.0.1

__________________________________________________ _______

Here's my IPconfig /all readout:

Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]
(C) Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.

C:\Documents and Settings\Micro Tech Customer>ipconfig /all

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : mine
Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Unknown
IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
DNS Suffix Search List. . . . . . : no-domain-set.aliant

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection 5:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : no-domain-set.aliant
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : ULi PCI Fast Ethernet Controller
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . :**-**-**-**
Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.102
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1
DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1
DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.2.1
Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : 08-01-24 6:06 PM
Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : 08-01-25 6:06 PM

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection 2:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Microsoft TV/Video Connection
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-00-00-00-00-00
Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
Autoconfiguration IP Address. . . : 0.3.0.4
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.255
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . :

__________________________________________________ _

If I do netstat -a -n, I can see the relevent passages:

Active Connections

Proto Local Address Foreign Address State
TCP 0.0.0.0:3784 0.0.0.0:0 LISTENING
UDP 0.0.0.0:3784 *:*

Not quite sure what's going on there, I would have expected 192.168.1.102:3784, right? Anyways

Linksys status page readout:

Capture(stacontent.logtype)Login Type: Capture(stacontent.dhcpmode)Automatic Configuration - DHCP
Capture(share.ipaddr)IP Address: 192.168.2.10
Capture(share.submask)Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0
Capture(share.defgateway)Default Gateway: 192.168.2.1
Capture(stacontent.dns1)DNS 1: 192.168.2.1
Capture(share.mtu)MTU: 1500

Last edited by VenomHowell; 01-24-2008 at 07:57 PM.
VenomHowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2008, 12:23 PM   #2
Prog-Rocker
just tryin to help

did you adjust the PF setting on the speedstream to reflect the ipaddress of the laptop server? and also disable the vent PF settings on the linksys.
Prog-Rocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 11:19 AM   #3
Serial211

Default Cant connect

one other thing i saw this may or may not help. but your router reports 192.168.2.xxx your workstation is 192.1681..xxx. change the workstation to match the router like .2.xxx or whatever needs to be dont to make them the same. make sure there is no firewall (windows or others) and see what that dose as well.
Serial211 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2008, 01:41 PM   #4
VenomHowell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prog-Rocker View Post
did you adjust the PF setting on the speedstream to reflect the ipaddress of the laptop server? and also disable the vent PF settings on the linksys.
Not entirely clear what you mean by this.

Quote:
one other thing i saw this may or may not help. but your router reports 192.168.2.xxx your workstation is 192.1681..xxx. change the workstation to match the router like .2.xxx or whatever needs to be dont to make them the same. make sure there is no firewall (windows or others) and see what that dose as well.
I actually tried doing this, assigning the Linksys routers to 192.168.2.2 and 192.168.2.3 but that's actually what messed my set up described in the first post and caused me to have to factory reset my routers to get things working again.

I'd prefer something a little less risky than having to do that again, if possible, due to the nature of my household. I live with 3 people who are renting rooms in my house, and I'm the closest thing we have to a network administrator, so when things mess up I start hearing complaints, ya know?
Old 01-30-2008, 02:29 PM   #5
Prog-Rocker
just tryin to help

here's what happened to another user that had put more pc's on the network. might be worth checking out

If the user has multiple pc’s and the server will not accept external connections when PFing is setup correctly, check all pc’s for a rogue DHCP server process and ICS (Internet Connection Sharing)
Old 01-30-2008, 06:43 PM   #6
VenomHowell

I hate to say it, but you're still going a little above my head here. What's 'PF', and did you mean to give me a link in the previous post? You reference someone else having problems but I don't see a link.
Old 01-30-2008, 09:10 PM   #7
kelvinblank

pf means port forwading. thats also my problem but i got it yesterday. first you must now your localip or your private ip. you can see it on run>type command>type ipconfig/all and you will see a label called ip address and that is your local ip/private ip. when u have that, try to connect locally, seems that you are connected locally. i think your problem is in portforwarding www.portforwarding.com/routers/htm find your router and find the program you want to use the portforwarding(ofcourse its ventrilo server) then you will see a text and a box in the upper part of the page saying "enter your static ip you want to forward" youll only need to enter the last digit of your ip found in ipconfig command. then follow the intructions in that page. also when there is a box saying 'local address from / local address to, put your local ip found in the command. the internet ip i used / the external i give to my friends is my ip from my WAN interface coming from my router page. in my case it works and when connecting to your server from the same pc of the server just used the local ip of your computer or just type localhost. i think i didnt get it clear
kelvinblank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2008, 09:17 PM   #8
kelvinblank

this is a video tutorial of starting a server. try to watch this http://*******.com/watch?v=lHcV_pqKino&feature=related this helped me

Last edited by kelvinblank; 01-30-2008 at 09:20 PM.
kelvinblank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2008, 01:09 PM   #9
VenomHowell

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelvinblank View Post
pf means port forwading. thats also my problem but i got it yesterday. first you must now your localip or your private ip. you can see it on run>type command>type ipconfig/all and you will see a label called ip address and that is your local ip/private ip. when u have that, try to connect locally, seems that you are connected locally. i think your problem is in portforwarding www.portforwarding.com/routers/htm find your router and find the program you want to use the portforwarding(ofcourse its ventrilo server) then you will see a text and a box in the upper part of the page saying "enter your static ip you want to forward" youll only need to enter the last digit of your ip found in ipconfig command. then follow the intructions in that page. also when there is a box saying 'local address from / local address to, put your local ip found in the command. the internet ip i used / the external i give to my friends is my ip from my WAN interface coming from my router page. in my case it works and when connecting to your server from the same pc of the server just used the local ip of your computer or just type localhost. i think i didnt get it clear

I really don't mean to be rude, but did you read my first post at all?
Old 02-01-2008, 02:08 PM   #10
Prog-Rocker
just tryin to help

ok, let's set this up for basic troubleshooting 101 and configure things in a minimal setup. (i know it's a P.I.T.A. but it's a process of elimination)

setup your main router with just the vent server connected to one of the non-DMZ ports. adjust the PFing accordingly and let's see if you can get this to work first. once it's working then start adding other devices one at a time.