Ventrilo Tech Support  

Go Back   Ventrilo Tech Support > Main Category > Macintosh Client

Old 01-14-2008, 05:41 PM   #1
Kotagun

Default Ventrilo Support PLEASE HELP

I have read MANY threads about the codec problems with Mac users. I am a Mac user myself and love them. But I am unable to use my guild's vent server and MANY other servers because of this problem. I need to know why cant you guys PLEASE make it so that our client version supports GSM 6.10 codec. This problem has caused me great trouble and have not been able to communicate with anyone. It greatly frustrating. I, and hundreds of other Mac users that run Ventrilo, would GREATLY appreciate it if you guys could look into this problem more and be proactive as to incorporate it into our client.

Thank you for your time.... please respond

Sincerely, Kotagun
Kotagun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 09:35 PM   #2
mjgraf

until Apple includes GSM in the OS, ventrilo will not be able to use GSM on the MAC.
mjgraf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 09:51 PM   #3
Kotagun

Mac probably doesn't even know about this issue... So basically everyone who uses a mac and has a server that doesn't support mac is screwed. Great...

Is there anyway for your company to raise this major issue that affects thousands of people who use your product directly to Apple??
Old 01-15-2008, 10:19 AM   #4
wadesworld

Quote:
So basically everyone who uses a mac and has a server that doesn't support mac is screwed. Great...
No they're not. Just have the admin reconfigure the server for Speex. It's already happened on thousands of servers, even some who said they'd never switch.

Yes, I understand it's sometimes difficult to convince people to switch, but I guarantee you that you can successfully get the server switched LONG before Apple would implement GSM, even if they agreed tomorrow to implement it.
wadesworld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008, 01:02 PM   #5
Kotagun

I have tried before to tell them to please change it, but they will not. The owner of the vent says it will screw everyone else who uses it, and that I am virtually the oly one that it affects in my guild. Thank you for your time, and response.

Sincerely Kotagun
Old 01-15-2008, 04:53 PM   #6
wadesworld

Have them configure a single channel for Speex and use it when you're involved. I'd be willing to bet after a short while, they find that Speex works great and switch the entire server.
wadesworld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2008, 10:42 PM   #7
mjgraf

switching to speex will NOT screw everyone else on the server. The developers would not have released something like this and not recommend the speex codec if it did. setting speex to an equivalent gsm data rate will provide excellent sound.
mjgraf is offline   Reply With Quote