Ventrilo Tech Support  

Go Back   Ventrilo Tech Support > Main Category > Macintosh Client

Old 05-20-2007, 08:32 PM   #1
Sassy Lass

Default Internet Sharing Problems

I have a mac. The only way to hook up to the internet at my brothers house is for me to hook up through the ethernet and then share my internet connection through my airport. I am trying to hook my fiancee up to the internet through my computer because there are no more ports in the modem. Hes a PC and I am a mac like I said. He can connect to the internet, WoW and everything but Vent. It keeps giving him the cannot connect to server message. I have no problem hooking up to anything. We were just wondering if there is anyway for him to hook up to vent while daisy chaining through my computer even though we are pc and mac.
Sassy Lass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2007, 09:39 PM   #2
mjgraf

that should not be a problem.
does it occur when the pc is not going thru your connection sharing?

i would double check the server information entered into the client.

Last edited by mjgraf; 05-22-2007 at 07:23 PM. Reason: forgot the NOT
mjgraf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2007, 11:09 AM   #3
Sassy Lass

the info has been checked and rechecked... thats what I thought at first too. This only happens when hes getting internet through me. When he is hooked up to the wire or getting it wirelessly from the source then he has no problem logging in.
Sassy Lass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2007, 11:34 AM   #4
wadesworld

I'm surprised that it's a problem, but not having tested it, I can't say for sure what the issue is. Maybe it's a bug in Internet connection sharing.

In any case, the best solution to the problem would be to put a small switch between the modem and the rest of the network. This would allow multiple computers to connect, assuming your modem isn't setup to allow only one Ethernet address. (Most are not, but I have run across some that are.)

Connect the switch to the modem using an Ethernet cross-over cable (available at places like CompUSA / Fry's, etc) and you should be good to go.

I'll see if I can setup a duplicate environment to test the Internet Connection Sharing issue, but it may be several days before I get to it.
wadesworld is offline   Reply With Quote