Ventrilo Tech Support  

Go Back   Ventrilo Tech Support > Main Category > Macintosh Client

Old 02-21-2007, 07:25 PM   #1
superhot

Default Changing from codex to speex

Hi. Im new using Vent for World of Warcraft. I have a Mac laptop and already got vent going. Only problem is I can't hear or talk to anyone! I was told and then I read that the issue is about having our admins change from codex to speex. I would like some information as to how to do this, and what are the shortcomings of having the admin do this. Would the admin have to do this everytime (the changes) or is it a one time change to speex?
Thank you!
Super
superhot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2007, 10:54 PM   #2
wadesworld

It's a one time change. He changes the server's codec from GSM to Speex and then reboots the server.

ALL Windows users using the server should install version 2.3.2 beta 3 to avoid a known voice quality problem. Note the emphasis on the word all.
wadesworld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2007, 10:07 AM   #3
superhot

Thank you for your quick response. I now have another question. Does it matter that the server we use is public? That is we don't pay for its usage because is publicly available? If server needs to change to Speex would this still be possible? And how do I know who is the server admin??

Thanks again
Sorry for all the inconvenience
superhot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2007, 10:17 AM   #4
wadesworld

The fact that it's public makes no difference. It can still be changed to Speex.

As far as knowing whom the server admin is, you'll just have to find out from the people that use the server. Or if it's some company's test server for example, you'd contact that company.
Old 03-07-2007, 08:24 AM   #5
Koemas

Ok i know the owner of the vent, but according to him, changing the codec from GSM to Speex costs money. From what I read here it sounds very easy to change the codec. I just want someone to clarify this for me. TY
Koemas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2007, 09:11 AM   #6
wadesworld

It should not cost money. I have never seen a provider that charged for a configuration change. If one does, report the hosting provider's name here to make Flagship aware.
Old 03-16-2007, 04:49 PM   #7
Elderin

I have the same issue. I just switched my gaming group from Teamspeak to Vent. We use NRG servers.

So, for my members who use Macs, I have to contact NRG servers, have them switch the codex to Speex and reboot the server?
Elderin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2007, 05:59 PM   #8
wadesworld

Correct, and have your Windows users use the 2.3.2 beta 3 client.