Ventrilo Tech Support  

Go Back   Ventrilo Tech Support > Main Category > Macintosh Client

Old 12-28-2006, 04:30 PM   #1
privatepartsNZ

Question Protocol Error. Server is running version 2.1.2

As in the title, I get the following message when trying to connect from my macbook pro:
Protocol Error. Server is running version 2.1.2

Is it simply a version conflict?
Do I need to get them to update and if so, which version do they need to get?
Will it affect all te PC users (I'm the only mac user in my CoD2 group)

I'd really appreciate some feedback as while I can run both the game and Vent on Windows via Bootcamp, the game runs sooooooo much better on OSX for me.

Cheers form New Zealand
privatepartsNZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2006, 04:49 PM   #2
wadesworld

Yes, it's a version conflict. They need to upgrade the server to version 2.3.1 of the server. It will not affect PC users.

Last edited by wadesworld; 12-28-2006 at 04:52 PM.
wadesworld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2007, 03:34 PM   #3
Virax

Sorry that I bump this topic but since it is on the first page of this forumpart I think its kinda useless to make a new topic about the same problem.

I have bought an iMac also and want to connect to our ventrilo server. The problem I have also it that the version does not match. I have version 2.3 and the server is 2.1.

I've asked the people to update the server but they tell me that there is a player limit at the 2.3 ventrilo and since there are quite some people online they can't (won't) upgrade it to 2.3 because not everyone would be able to come online.

The only alternative I see is that I take version 2.1 but is that version available for mac in the first place? If not I have a big problem :s.

Thank you for your answer.

Regards,
Virax
Virax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2007, 03:55 PM   #4
wadesworld

Quote:
I've asked the people to update the server but they tell me that there is a player limit at the 2.3 ventrilo and since there are quite some people online they can't (won't) upgrade it to 2.3 because not everyone would be able to come online.
There is indeed a player limit in 2.3.

I believe the free server license (and the Pro) requires the users to keep their version of the Ventrilo server current. The people running your server are in violation of the license agreement and knowingly doing so.

What they should do is pay for a hosted server large enough to host the number of users they need.

Quote:
The only alternative I see is that I take version 2.1 but is that version available for mac in the first place? If not I have a big problem :s.
It is not available. You are out of luck unless your server administrator decides to act in an ethical manner.
Old 01-02-2007, 04:11 PM   #5
Virax

Quote:
Originally Posted by wadesworld View Post
There is indeed a player limit in 2.3.
I believe the free server license (and the Pro) requires the users to keep their version of the Ventrilo server current. The people running your server are in violation of the license agreement and knowingly doing so.

What they should do is pay for a hosted server large enough to host the number of users they need.

It is not available. You are out of luck unless your server administrator decides to act in an ethical manner.
Thank you for your answer. I can't really believe the people who are using the server are in violation of the licence agreement and knowingly to do that... Though it would explain why they don't upgrade it :s. I'm going to have a conversation with the server admin about that because if you are right it is a bad thing.

One more question: What is the playerlimit in the 2.3 version?
I can't find it in the FAQ and before I start the conversation with the serveradmin I would like to be well informed.

Thank you once more.
Old 01-02-2007, 05:10 PM   #6
wadesworld

It's 8 users for the personal server.

Incidentally, one way you can probably induce them to change is to offer to pay for the server, or part of it.

For hosting, I recommend typefrag.com or nationvoice.com. Both have web-based control panels that give you full control over the server.
Old 01-02-2007, 05:24 PM   #7
Virax

Thanks for your fast answer right again. I've talked to the serveradmin and he told me he didn't know it was illegal since he said 2.1 was a free version so and it was kinda weird to update it to a version that wasn't free or free and very limited. Like I said it now sounds kinda stupid, but my english isn't awesome and he said it a bit else but I dunno how to say it :s

Anyway, he wants to buy a licence but that info is all a bit mistique. For example if I check the ventrilo website:

Quote:
Server 2.3 - Pro version:
The Pro version of the Ventrilo server can not be downloaded. It requires that we accept your application and that you sign and return the Ventrilo license. However, we do not license everyone.
In order for an applicant to be considered you must meet the following minimum requirements.
1) You must have a legitimate business license in your state, country or jurisdiction. Please be prepared to provide proof when requested.
2) You agree to a 1000 slot minimum. Slot counts greater then 1000 are billed at the per slot rate for the total number of slots hosted. Slot counts below 1000 are billed at the per slot rate with the required minimum of 1000 slots.
3) Licensee's slot counts are expected to grow on a regular basis.
We don't need 1000 slots , more like 50, 60 or 70. The admin already has a server of his own so the only thing he needs is a licence. Is that possible? Or is it only possible to hire/rent a complete server from some kind of website and get a number of slots?

In other words: is it possible to buy a licence so we get access to the needed slots on a server we run ourselves? If so, howmuch would cost that?

Maybe I can communicate on vent with my mac afterall

Edit:
I've just checked your 2 websites and I see you hire/rent entire servers with the userslots there. 50 slots are 14,99 and 19,99 which is imo expensive. Now I don't know anything about renting this kind of stuff, im only a user who is putting some effort in it because he wants it to work on his mac. But I've heard he has its own server so we have to pay servercosts and bandwidth costs while we could have that ourselves and only need slots. Is it possible?

Last edited by Virax; 01-02-2007 at 05:28 PM.
Old 01-02-2007, 06:55 PM   #8
wadesworld

Quote:
In other words: is it possible to buy a licence so we get access to the needed slots on a server we run ourselves? If so, howmuch would cost that?
No, it's not.

Servers with more than 8 slots need to be rented from a hosting provider.