Ventrilo Tech Support  

Go Back   Ventrilo Tech Support > Main Category > Windows Client

Old 08-16-2006, 11:51 PM   #1
Kylarran

Default Can no longer hear others speak... Help please

I have been using Ventrilo to hear my Everquest 2 guild for several months.
Sat. 8/5/06 the sound thru my Logitech Premium USB 350 headset started dropping out and varying sound levels, eventually cutting out all ability to hear others speaking, or entering channels. However, they can still hear me, and i can still hear normal game sounds thru the headset. I have tried another, non-USB headset, and still can hear no one speaking thru Vent. No settings were altered originally.

I have tried deleting/reinstalling Ventrilo a couple times, even tried the Beta version with no difference. I found a post at this Ventrilo site thru a google search, seeking help with Ventrilo and my USB 350 headset, but what was the recommended fix for the user was already in place in my settings. I have tinkered with my settings numerous times since, with the suggestions of some of my other guildmates, trying their setups and tryin different configurations with both headsets and have gotten nothing to work. My original situation, i can hear no one while they can hear me remains.

I am using Windows XP Professional, version 2002 service pack 2 with all recommended updates from microsoft patched. MB is an Asus A8R32 - MVP Deluxe with crossfire, and using it's onboard sound chipset, with no soundcard (i just use a headset, no speakers so i don't annoy the rest of my family).

Sounds and Audio Devices, both Audio and Sound tabs are set to my Logitech USB headset for using Ventrilo, or my brother's prefered mic-less headset settings using Realtek HD Audio output, which we use often to switch between the two for our different games.

Ventrilo's setup's Voice tab is setup with Logitech USB as Output and Input, Mixer to None with line volumn to max, amplifiers are Outbound 0 and Inbound 10 (changing to 0 does not change anything), and Codec is GSM 6.10 with 44 KHz. The mute boxes are not checked. On Binds, Logitech USB is the output device with 0 amplify, and the 3 boxes on left checked. On Speech, output device is Logitech USB again, rate 0, volumn 100. All other settings in all tabs are as they were when installed. Also, I have tried using Direct Sound on the Voice tab's Output/input as well as in the Binds and Tabs device slots with no changes, as well as the Default wave mapper, similarly with no changes. My guild can hear me, but i cannot hear them.

If anyone needs more details please ask, otherwise just to repeat, i can hear sounds from my headset from any other game, just nothing from Ventrilo. Also i have tried the Monitor and Test buttons on the main Voice tab, and while it records sounds, no sounds can be heard on playback.

Please offer any advice you may have. Thank you, Kylarran
Kylarran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2006, 11:03 AM   #2
Prog-Rocker
just tryin to help

is there a volume control on the headset cable?

run a test with ctrl-panel > sounds and audio > voice tab > select the logitech in voice recording > click the test button.

plug logitech into diff usb port.
did logitech install any kind of program that will allow you adjust it?
Prog-Rocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2006, 11:10 PM   #3
Kylarran

Thx Prog-Rocker for replying... here are some answers...

Yes there is a volumn control on the headset cable, it still operates fine, lol and is not the problem with being unable to hear anyone, i can mute myself, but the mute button does not effect hearing others speak.

I ran the test, and similar to my test a week ago, the meters reflect my speaking but i cannot hear myself speak thru the headset speakers.

Logitech, installation ran off of the on-cable program chip, and i have been unable to locate any accessable files in my programs directory... so what it installed is not in any /program files/logitech directory, and just where i have not found.

The simple instructions on installing the USB 350 specifically mentioned the importance of installing it in the 1st USB slot. Moving it to the 2nd USB slot, was automatically detected and instantly altered the Sounds and Audio Device Properties' audio and voice tabs with the default device set to "Logitech USB Headset (2)" and that was all. So to test it...
Logging into EQ2 and Vent yields the following, i can hear game sounds, and speak and be heard in Ventrilo, however i still cannot hear anyone else speak to me. Ventrilo's device setups are all still for "Logitech USB headset" without any "(2)" but that didn't stop my guildmates from hearing me. So Still Baffled.

Additionally, let me report that last week i attempted to locate the existance of any new drivers on Logitech's website and found nothing on the USB 350 in terms of downloads available, nor about drivers for it.
Checking my Device Manager and hitting properties on the USB Audio Device driver yields the following: Provider, Microsoft, date 7/1/2001, version 5.1.2535.0, signer Microsoft Windows Publisher.

So what's the next step? The problem remainds... I can hear game sounds, and others in my guild can hear me speaking through Ventrilo, yet I can hear no one speak through it. Kylarran
Old 08-18-2006, 01:38 PM   #4
Prog-Rocker
just tryin to help

check your vent log file to see if another device is taking control. vent main rt-clik > view > log file > scroll to bottom

also, I've found that in one of my vent setups using a plantronics usb I have have to use the following:

output device: plantronics (direct sound unchecked)
input device: plantronics (direct sound checked)
mixer set to none.
Old 08-19-2006, 05:22 AM   #5
Kylarran

Hello again, sadly Prog-Rocker i cannot figure out what your talkin about.
I have tried to find whatever "vent main" is in the directory or in the Ventrilo application itself. all the files in the directory i tried, any logical one i could think of... upon rt-clickin none of them showed any "View" choice as an option. Within the Vent tabs... tryin that doesn't make sense.

Can you give me, a little more specifically, what you want me to try?
Old 08-20-2006, 04:41 PM   #6
Prog-Rocker
just tryin to help

vent main means the main ventrilo window where it shows all the users. right-mouse-clik > view > log file > scroll-to-bottom
Old 08-20-2006, 07:12 PM   #7
Kylarran

Ok well got lucky and found it... here is the Vent main log... all that ISN'T "unable to find DNS server" blah...

2006-08-01 01:48:45 Unable to resolve the specified servers DNS/Hostname.
2006-08-05 20:21:26 PlayChunkVoice: Unable to prepare wave output header, res=6
2006-08-05 20:21:26 ~CWaveOutput: m_waveHdrLst was not empty.
2006-08-05 20:21:26 EvtWomDone: waveHdrLst was empty. Not good!
2006-08-05 20:21:26 PlayChunkVoice: No functioning device.
2006-08-05 20:21:55 EvtWomDone: waveHdrLst was empty. Not good!
2006-08-05 20:21:55 EvtWomDone: 'hdr' not found 00195840.
2006-08-05 20:21:55 EvtWomDone: 'hdr' not found 001AA1C8.
2006-08-05 20:21:55 EvtWomDone: 'hdr' not found 001AD5D0.
2006-08-08 22:20:42 VoiceCommMixerStart: Non-mux based mixer failed to find fader. rc=-1
2006-08-08 22:39:37 VoiceCommMixerStart: Non-mux based mixer failed to find fader. rc=-1
2006-08-18 01:49:11 Unable to resolve the specified servers DNS/Hostname.

... now unfortunately i do not think that should help you. While 8/5/06 is the day the problem first occured, the timestamp shows all these events occurred while i was pokin around praying to find a fix AFTER our guild's raid was over for the day. we began the raid at 15:00 and ended abt 5 hrs later... which would be around 20:00 hrs.

Next, i tried this...
mixer set to none.
... using my Logitech USB device to no success.

What's next to look at.?
Old 08-20-2006, 08:58 PM   #8
mjgraf

doing this
mixer set to none.
should have worked

when you have this set, go into Recording (Input) and verify that the mic is selected.
mjgraf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2006, 11:22 PM   #9
Kylarran

Sorry if this is repeating a prior post... my login status never seems to last thru the duration of composing any quickmessage, and i do not believe it was sent this time.

Tried this, again...
Output device: Logitech USB device (direct sound unchecked) and
Input device:Logitech USB device (direct sound checked) with
mixer set to none.
... yields NO fix.

However, i noticed something odd. I did not bother with logging in the game first, just joined Ventrilo. When others spoke i was intermittantly able to hear a very faint rasp, possibly speech, since it coincided with the green sound indicator. However it is not at any volume able to hear. It's possible this has been the case all along, i don't know for sure... assuming in game sounds are (easily) drowning out this "edge of being heard noise".

As to the mic settings... its appears correct still, but i am surprised your asking, since my guildmates can hear me... I just cannot hear them.
EQ2 sounds i can hear... other games i have tried out produce sound out of the headset... however i cannot hear speach, since 8/5 thru Ventrilo. I had been using it successfully for a few months prior to this (our guild switched over to Ventrilo, for the better).

Anyway... let me know what you think we can do, and any other testing i can try. Thanks.
Old 08-22-2006, 02:38 PM   #10
Prog-Rocker
just tryin to help

check your codec settings, in particluler the decompress setting

Control panel
Sound and audio
Hardware
Double click "Audio Codec"
Double click on Microsoft GSM 6.10
Click settings.
Set Compress and Decompress to "all rates" or 44 for each.
Press OK

check if you have any SFX set on the servername / channel name.

rt-clik on server/channel > misc > special efx > volume

maybe your codec got dorked. try downloading from here

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windowsmedia/forpros/format/codecdownload.aspx

installation instructions:
http://www.free-codecs.com/guides/How_to_install_default_codecs_in_Windows_XP_2000.h tm

Last edited by Prog-Rocker; 08-22-2006 at 05:40 PM.