Ventrilo Tech Support  

Go Back   Ventrilo Tech Support > Main Category > Macintosh Client

Old 06-01-2006, 10:18 AM   #1
cybercookie72

Default vent window opens off screen

Greetings all

HELP!!! I got a macbook pro that I use for dev type stuff and every so often I play games and use vent. When I program at my mother's house I use her monitor (dual screen ). Everything works fine. Last weekend I was out at mom's and doing the dual screen thing...I put the vent window on the second screen and had WoW on the main screen. I finished playing the game without problems and closed all the apps (vent included...it was on the second screen when I closed it) and went back to finishing my program. Now a week later I try to open up vent and the icon shows up in the dock but no vent window?? I right clicked on the icon in the dock and clicked on "hide" and that is when I saw the window fly in to the dock from the right side of the screen.

It seems the vent window is holding on to some screen cords that are no longer there?? How can I get the window to come back on the part of the desktop i can see??? I can not find anything to move the window or reset it's location. Is there any hope?? I know I can just wait until my next visit to mom's but is there anything I can do in the mean time (I tried reinstalling)....thanks in advance

CC
cybercookie72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2006, 10:32 AM   #2
wadesworld

Try renaming the /Library/Preferences/Ventrilo/ventrilo2.ini file to something like ventrilo2.old. Note that you will lose your servers, keybindings and other settings, so you should make note of them before doing so.

Wade
wadesworld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2006, 11:07 AM   #3
Flagship
Administrator

Better yet:

Stop ventrilo (forced quit if necessary)
Use a text editor to open ~/Library/Preferences/Ventrilo/ventrilo2.ini
Remove the line in [General] that says MainLocSize
Save the file
close the editor
start ventrilo
Old 06-02-2006, 06:25 AM   #4
cybercookie72

Default I tried the better yet....

Works great now....thanks. Just a thought but maybe a reset window pos. button in the pref. might help other noobs like myself in the future.

THANKS AGAIN
cybercookie72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2006, 11:36 AM   #5
wadesworld

The actual solution is for Ventrilo to look at the screen geometries available at startup and decide if the saved window position is visible on any of the screens. If it is not, it ignores the saved window position and opens in the center of the main screen.
wadesworld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2006, 11:55 AM   #6
Flagship
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by wadesworld
The actual solution is for Ventrilo to look at the screen geometries available at startup and decide if the saved window position is visible on any of the screens. If it is not, it ignores the saved window position and opens in the center of the main screen.
This is planned.

The Windows client has done that for a long time but I got burned several times by that logic due to not understanding how desktop physcial vs. virtual layout configurations can be radically different from each other.

Case in point: sometimes the desktop space can go negative as is the case with the system I'm typing on. -1024 to +1024 width.

Ugh!
Old 07-15-2007, 12:05 PM   #7
EggSalt

I've been having the problem with ventrilo showing up off screen, from when I had vent and wow up on dual monitors, but now am on the road so only have the macbook pro.

The way I found to work around it doesn't involve editing anything, just going to Window -> Zoom Window. Then I simply resize to a decent size to look at.

I do look forward to a new release with the reset screen geometries thing, or maybe an option to always have it show up on the main screen =)

Keep up the good work!
EggSalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 08:15 AM   #8
TeamleaderPG

All the other solutions Ive come across were bunk..
I believe this is the root of the problem and the correct fix using win 7.
This issue may only effect multiple display users or Nvidia Surround.

Ventrillo window lost OFF SCREEN? This may help~

Control Panel> Appearance and Personalization> Display> Screen Resolution

You should see a list:
Display:
Resolution:
Orientation:
Multiple displays: ( It is here you should select Show desktop only on 1)

Selecting SHOW ONLY ON 1 seems to have worked for me, If I somehow loose the window again I will update this post.
Good Luck Warriors
TeamleaderPG is offline   Reply With Quote