Ventrilo Tech Support  

Go Back   Ventrilo Tech Support > Main Category > Macintosh Client

Old 03-23-2006, 11:49 PM   #1
relstormrage

Default Playing music from iTunes into vent

On the vent I use me and one other person are the only mac users and the PC ones are able to be DJs occasionally and just play whats coming from there media player right into vent. Is it possible to do this with the current mac vent prototype? I've been messing around with different options to try it but to no avail. Any answers?
relstormrage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2006, 06:04 PM   #2
Lobster

I have a few work-arounds for this but they're all 'cheats.' W-A 1 requires two computers, W-A 2 does not.

W-A 1).
Simply set up another computer with Vent. Disable PTT (push-to-talk) and lower sensitivity to 6-10. Then, with some form of cable, plug your sound output into your sound input OR plug the sound input into the output of your iPod (my personal method). I do this regularly with little issue. Just realize that you're going to have to keep the sound output very, very quiet from your source.

W-A 2).
Disable PTT on your inital workstation and again, lower the sensitivity. Move your mic closer to your speakers and away from you, and have at it. This will make talking in Vent difficult.

Hope this helps.
Lobster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2006, 01:15 PM   #3
Humera

3) Download and install JackOSX. It is a sound server that creates new input/output devices which you can use to route sound from one App to another.

Getting it working would involve something like this:

a) Set default system output to Jack Router (in Sound Preferences)

b) Set Ventrilo sound input device to Jack Router

c) Set Ventrilo output device to Line Out, or whichever you use normally. You do NOT want this to be Jack Router or it will cause loopback problems.

d) Play iTunes (you probably want to not use PTT in Vent :P)

You can do other fun things with Jack and programs like Audio Hijack Pro. This will allow you to apply sound effects to your voice that people on Vent will hear... and probably laugh about!
Humera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2006, 10:51 AM   #4
relstormrage

Thanks a lot Humera I'll try that when I get home today.
relstormrage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2006, 03:23 PM   #5
Binderdeep

Default Sup

Hey does anyone know of any app that does the same thing as JackOSX but is for Windows XP? ive been searchign hard cant find one

Thanks
Binderdeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2006, 12:47 AM   #6
grimnir

I've been trying to figure out how to do this forever, but to no avail. I tried getting the Jack program mentioned, but when I set it all up and switched my vent input to Jack it set my line input all the way to min. Even if I pushed up the slider when I closed the setup and went back in it was down to min.

Also, maybe I'm understanding this wrong, but with Jack doesn't it route your built in audio (which is what iTunes goes through) through Jack and into vent. And if so, why can't you just select built in audio in vent as your input? I tried this too, and it just set the slider to min like it does when I have Jack as the input, and it won't let me slide it up.

Anyway, if anyone has any ideas that might help me I'd love to get my iTunes running through vent.
grimnir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2006, 10:19 PM   #7
Namza

OK, this is definitely my fault, but I installed JackOSX, couldn't figure the program out, and went to see if there was an uninstaller. Well, the program is pretty basic, not for pampered click and be done people like me >< Everything works I guess, it detects my mic, I see my icon light up in Vent. But there is no sound coming through my headphones. I went to the System Prefs Sound section and put it to my headset, it thinks everything is working, but I still hear nothing. Can anyone help me put it back to default, or make Jack stop redirecting things?
Namza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2006, 01:40 PM   #8
[T2K]BusteR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Humera
3) Download and install JackOSX. It is a sound server that creates new input/output devices which you can use to route sound from one App to another.

Getting it working would involve something like this:

a) Set default system output to Jack Router (in Sound Preferences)

b) Set Ventrilo sound input device to Jack Router

c) Set Ventrilo output device to Line Out, or whichever you use normally. You do NOT want this to be Jack Router or it will cause loopback problems.

d) Play iTunes (you probably want to not use PTT in Vent :P)

You can do other fun things with Jack and programs like Audio Hijack Pro. This will allow you to apply sound effects to your voice that people on Vent will hear... and probably laugh about!

This sounds cool but let me clarify.

if you have a big drive you want to use as your music source and play your game while using vent to talk and be the music server everyone car hear including yourself is this a go?

Also, how many of you have done this?

It seems some have had a problem with it.
Or a better solution?

Flag?

Thanks....

Buster.
[T2K]BusteR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2006, 06:55 PM   #9
CocoDaPuf

Well it seems pretty straight forward. basically you set your music player (probably itunes) to play to JackOSX instead of to your speakers. JackOSX will then be listed as an audio input you can select from ventrilo.
CocoDaPuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2006, 01:29 PM   #10
Humera

It is a simple thing to do IF you understand how Jack works. If you're trying to figure it out without any prior knowledge of how its routing works, you may have problems. This program is actually quite complex and I would recommend reading the manual =)
Humera is offline   Reply With Quote