Ventrilo Tech Support  

Go Back   Ventrilo Tech Support > Main Category > Macintosh Client

Old 02-22-2006, 03:04 PM   #1
Ancor

Default FAQ for guild bosses who control servers

Could you put a FAQ entry in to help explain how a guild boss (or whomever controls the server settings) goes about changing to the Speez codec?

I am trying to put the most up-to-date info together, gleaming it from the forum discussions, to give it to my guild leaders but it would be much easier to just point the Guild leaders to the correct FAQ and let them read it all there. You would also be able to update/correct/control that information as it changes. I might screw it up....

Near as I can tell they need to know:
1) They can change the codec from the standard GSM 6.10 to Speex from the control panel. (Note: It seems that there is different terminology used - some in the forums list the change being made to "Mac Compliant - xxxxx" rather than specifying "Speex" specifically. Which is correct or are different methods used?)
2) They must restart the server for the change to take affect. I assume this will drop all current users off the server (duh...) so the restart should happen at low/zero usage hours.
3) Everyone needs to download the newest beta - both PC and Mac users. The download page address should be listed in a guild message of the day so everyone sees it when they log on and gets the download right away.
4) Point out that if people can hear but not talk, or can talk but not hear, then they most likely have an old version.

If you could also "sell" just a bit the advantages of the Speex codec over the GSM 6.10 that would help - if the guild leaders can see anything in the way of an improvement for the PC users, that would make it easier to get them to make the change and let us Mac users join the discussions.

Lastly - thanks for not forgetting the Mac community! I appreciate the work being done! Can't wait to finally join a raid (which requires being on ventrilo...)!

An'Cor

Last edited by Ancor; 02-22-2006 at 03:12 PM.
Ancor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2006, 03:29 PM   #2
wadesworld

Quote:
1) They can change the codec from the standard GSM 6.10 to Speex from the control panel. (Note: It seems that there is different terminology used - some in the forums list the change being made to "Mac Compliant - xxxxx" rather than specifying "Speex" specifically. Which is correct or are different methods used?)
The terminology would depend on the hosting provider. Some have control panels, some don't. Most probably call it "Speex" others may call it something else.

Quote:
2) They must restart the server for the change to take affect. I assume this will drop all current users off the server (duh...) so the restart should happen at low/zero usage hours.
You do have to restart the server. However, after a restart, people rejoin automatically very quickly. So, you can just give people a heads up that they will lose connection but come right back.

Wade
wadesworld is offline   Reply With Quote