Ventrilo Tech Support  

Go Back   Ventrilo Tech Support > Main Category > Macintosh Client

Old 03-14-2006, 01:08 AM   #1
crazycaper

Default Issues I have found

I use Ventrilo to play World of Warcraft primarily. I use it all the time, here are the problems I have everyday.

Periodic crashes, where the program goes Not Responding, I have to froce quit and restart the program. Everytime I quit the program I hit the same error.

Push to talk key bugged. I can only use my push to talk key if I have Ventrilo brought to front and selected. This is a huge problem for me playing Wow I have to Apple-Tab to Ventrilo anytime I want to talk.

I think these are all the problems I have. Also I don't hear the messages that say "So and So has joined the channel".

Any feedback/solutions would be great.
crazycaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2006, 03:02 AM   #2
wadesworld

Quote:
Periodic crashes, where the program goes Not Responding, I have to froce quit and restart the program. Everytime I quit the program I hit the same error.
I haven't seen many errors that force me to force-quit the program. If you're talking about the crash-on-quit bug on OS X 10.4 then you haven't upgraded to Prototype 7.

Quote:
Push to talk key bugged. I can only use my push to talk key if I have Ventrilo brought to front and selected. This is a huge problem for me playing Wow I have to Apple-Tab to Ventrilo anytime I want to talk.
See issue #4 here:

http://www.ventrilo.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9534

Quote:
I think these are all the problems I have. Also I don't hear the messages that say "So and So has joined the channel".
Not yet implemented.
wadesworld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2006, 10:25 AM   #3
crazycaper

Thanks, I fixed the push to talk with #4, and as far as the periodic crashes, Krunk I believe his name was in an early post stated this same problem. Although I haven't experienced it since I upgraded to 7 (only 1 night using).

Off topic question.... I have a headset with 2 cables, one goes into my Headphone jack, the other my mic jack.

Im on a 12" 1.33 powerbook.. do I have a mic jack? There is a plug next to my headphone jack but I couldn't get that to work, but then I didn't try very hard... it doesn't have a picture of a mic but I'm not sure what the symbol is...
Old 03-14-2006, 11:47 AM   #4
gramathy

That's a line in port, for powered audio input. Most headsets don't have this type of input, so waht you have currently won't work. You'll need to get either a powered microphone or a USB mic/headset.
gramathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2006, 11:49 AM   #5
wadesworld

Looking at the specs of the 12" Powerbook, it does appear to have a audio-line-in port.

However, you cannot just hook a standard headphone set to it. Standard headphone sets are unpowered, and do not provide sufficient power for the Mac's line-level audio port.

By far the easiest solution is a Griffin Technologies USB adapter, called the iMic:

http://www.griffintechnology.com/pro...mic2/index.php

This allows you to use any standard PC headset with your Mac. These are also generally available at Fry's, CompUSA, etc.

Wade
wadesworld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2006, 01:15 PM   #6
capnhack

ive had these random freezes too. the first day it was perfect, but the second it was crashing very often, sometimes as much as every 10 mins. im on 10.4.4 and im using a usb headset on a g5. hope this helps in some way to work out whats causing it.
capnhack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2006, 08:35 PM   #7
crazycaper

Quote:
Originally Posted by wadesworld
Looking at the specs of the 12" Powerbook, it does appear to have a audio-line-in port.

This allows you to use any standard PC headset with your Mac. These are also generally available at Fry's, CompUSA, etc.

Wade
Awesome thanks for the info, guess I should have checked the forums before I went to Frys not after I got home =)