Ventrilo Tech Support  

Go Back   Ventrilo Tech Support > Main Category > Macintosh Client

Closed Thread

Old 01-30-2006, 06:17 PM   #1
[TG]SkullShot

Default Something other than Speex

We're currently using the GSM 6.10 codec. From what I understand from one of our other server administrators, we don't want to switch to Speex because of the quality drop involved. We have about 100 users using this system, but about 2 of them use Macs, so are unable to connect. My question is this: Is there any plan to implement the Mac Ventrilo client with a codec other than Speex (preferably GSM)?

Thanks,
-- Skull
Old 01-30-2006, 06:48 PM   #2
wadesworld

If configured with similar settings, there is no quality drop with Speex. In fact, many people think it sounds better.

Who told you there was a quality drop?

Wade
Old 01-30-2006, 11:34 PM   #3
Flagship
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by wadesworld
Who told you there was a quality drop?
He's confusing us with those other guys

Just because someone elses Speex implementation doesn't sound good doesn't mean ours won't. However, all windows users really do need to install 2.3.2.Beta.3 or higher.
Old 01-30-2006, 11:58 PM   #4
[TG]SkullShot

Thanks for the information. Like I said, I was getting this "quality drop" information from one of the other server administrators, so I'll ask him what made him say this and point him in this direction. There may be other reasons, such as 99% of our users being Windows users (and forcing them to switch to a newer, Beta version might be a bit intensive), but we may be able to switch over. Still, are there any plans to use other codexes in the future?
Old 01-31-2006, 03:09 AM   #5
wadesworld

Quote:
(and forcing them to switch to a newer, Beta version might be a bit intensive)
It's not intrusive at all. Hosting providers are required to update to the latest version, and thus, when they do, clients have no choice but to update too.

Windows users are very familiar with updating their Ventrilo client and shouldn't give it a second thought.

Quote:
Still, are there any plans to use other codexes in the future?
Even if there were (Flagship has not commented), I wouldn't advise you to tell them anyhow. If you gave them a date, they'd immediately refuse to change to Speex for invalid reasons and make you wait. Get them to change to Speex now, and you can enjoy using Vent now.

Wade

Last edited by wadesworld; 01-31-2006 at 03:14 AM.
Old 02-01-2006, 03:50 PM   #6
wdarkk

Quote:
It's not intrusive at all. Hosting providers are required to update to the latest version, and thus, when they do, clients have no choice but to update too.

Windows users are very familiar with updating their Ventrilo client and shouldn't give it a second thought.
The real problem is when someone asks me to join their vent server for whatever, I can't ask them to change over to speex.

Say I join a battleground in WoW and the raid leader gives me a vent IP, I can't just ask him to switch it over to speex.
Old 02-01-2006, 04:55 PM   #7
wadesworld

That is a valid concern. I ran into that just the other night. I was on a raid with another guild and their server was configured for GSM. As they had zero Mac users in their guild, they weren't going to reconfigure it.

Don't have an answer for that one, other than wait and see if/when Flagship makes a statement about GSM support.

Wade
Old 02-01-2006, 08:53 PM   #8
Ur-Jack

Possibility of making Speex the default codec used in the next version of the PRO server? That way perhaps 90% of users would be unaware of any change (assuming a new client would have to be downloaded to go with the new version). Or is the way the PRO server is configured by the server hosts totally open that there is no way of making one particular setting 'default'?
Old 02-02-2006, 01:47 PM   #9
wadesworld

Quote:
I would also like to have the option to use GSM because my guild in WOW is only configured to GSM. In my 5 months of playing WOW I have not ever seen a guild that uses speex.
If it's your guild, then there is no reason not to configure your server for Speex now. My guild is on Speex and has been for several months. It works fantastic.

Don't sit around waiting - have your guild reconfigure its server so everyone can enjoy Ventrilo.

It doesn't solve the problem of joining a random person's server, but at least day-to-day you'll be able to communicate with your guild.

Wade
Old 02-02-2006, 05:33 PM   #10
Arisa

Quote:
If it's your guild, then there is no reason not to configure your server for Speex now. My guild is on Speex and has been for several months. It works fantastic.

Don't sit around waiting - have your guild reconfigure its server so everyone can enjoy Ventrilo.

It doesn't solve the problem of joining a random person's server, but at least day-to-day you'll be able to communicate with your guild.

Wade
WoW guilds are pretty big, Wade. My own guild is very small, but even so, our guild head doesn't own the server -- In fact, several guilds share it, and someone I don't know pays for it.

I addressed this in another thread, but what you're telling people to do is downright rude. You're assuming they belong to a guild of friends, not just people they know online. You're assuming they have some sort of relationship with the server owner that allows them to ask for such a thing without coming off as a complete asshat. You're assuming that they'll 'see the light' of speex being an arguably similar or even better setting than their GSM standard, that they'll all rush to download the latest Windows Vent client, and that they'll be more than happy to do it for the small handful (usually two or three people at most) of Mac users when they ask. You're assuming that these guildmates will even care.
Closed Thread