Ventrilo Tech Support  

Go Back   Ventrilo Tech Support > Main Category > Macintosh Client

Closed Thread

Old 01-29-2006, 12:14 AM   #1
clzatere

Default question when the full version comes out

when will the full version not the prototype come out because my brother has a mac and it says this server equires speex and he has it as GSM and he cant talk or hear. so plz send me an e-mail when this might come out so he can download it thank you-corbin
my e-mail is blindelementrock@netscape.net
Old 01-29-2006, 09:35 AM   #2
mjgraf

change the server to use Speex and he can communicate right now.
Old 01-29-2006, 11:00 AM   #3
wadesworld

Understand that there is no difference between GSM and Speex - voice quality on Speex is outstanding, so there's absolutely no reason not to switch.

Wade
Old 01-29-2006, 02:35 PM   #4
mjgraf

Quote:
Originally Posted by wadesworld
Understand that there is no difference between GSM and Speex - voice quality on Speex is outstanding, so there's absolutely no reason not to switch.

Wade
I wouldn't go that far in that there are no differences, there are significant differences between the two codecs. but properly configured, it becomes difficult to dicern which is which without looking in setup.

using speex, definitely recommend quality setting above 7, then test the difference between 16bit and 32bit. Also need to balance the bandwidth requirement.
Old 01-29-2006, 05:40 PM   #5
wadesworld

Well, I was speaking in general terms of voice quality - naturally the algorithms are different.
Old 02-02-2006, 01:49 PM   #6
wadesworld

Quote:
We understand that there is no to little difference int he quality but it would just be a big pain to switch the server. I have already talked to the guy who runs my server and he said he wasnt going to switch because it would be too much trouble.
It is NOT a pain. It literally takes 5 minutes with a competent hosting provider, and less than that with a really good one (I can change mine in under a minute).

You change at most two settings, restart the server and you're done.

Wade
Old 02-02-2006, 05:26 PM   #7
Arisa

Quote:
Originally Posted by wadesworld
It is NOT a pain. It literally takes 5 minutes with a competent hosting provider, and less than that with a really good one (I can change mine in under a minute).

You change at most two settings, restart the server and you're done.

Wade
Wade, I think you're forgetting something.

Some of us want to connect to servers that are shared by many guilds, and owned by a person we don't know. Do you have any earthly idea of how incredibly rude it is, to go to someone you don't know, someone who foots the bill for a server you have otherwise nothing to do with, and ask them to change something to better suit you? Especially when you're the only Mac user asking for this?

I'll stick with Skype, since the likelihood of a proper Vent client coming out any time soon is... well, rather slim.
Old 02-02-2006, 06:17 PM   #8
wadesworld

Quote:
Some of us want to connect to servers that are shared by many guilds, and owned by a person we don't know. Do you have any earthly idea of how incredibly rude it is, to go to someone you don't know, someone who foots the bill for a server you have otherwise nothing to do with, and ask them to change something to better suit you? Especially when you're the only Mac user asking for this?
It's not rude at all if you ask nicely. The only real impact of them changing it is that Mac users can then participate. Not sure why they see that as a bad thing.

If they refuse, your only choice is to live without it.

All I'm saying is, rather than continuing to ask Flagship about something he has yet to comment on despite numerous posts (which makes it likely he's not planning on commenting yet), your best bet is to ask nicely for your guild to change.

Wade

Last edited by wadesworld; 02-02-2006 at 06:26 PM.
Old 02-02-2006, 06:36 PM   #9
ucantcme

I don't know about you guys but my prototype version 6 for Mac didn't work very well, I could only hear people and they couldn't hear me but now that version 7 is out mine works so hooray!
Closed Thread