Ventrilo Tech Support  

Go Back   Ventrilo Tech Support > Main Category > Macintosh Client

Old 01-16-2006, 09:49 PM   #1
splitusa

Default Intel

Does anyone know if ventrilo well work for the new iMacs with intel?

if anyone finds out please post back soon!
splitusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2006, 03:26 AM   #2
wadesworld

Since the new Macs are not available until February, it's unlikely anyone can respond, unless a developer with a "transition kit" machine just happens to be reading this forum.

Wade
wadesworld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2006, 05:17 AM   #3
CocoDaPuf

Well I can tell you this much (because it applies to all applications). It won't run native on an Intel machine unless it was written with XCode (which it probably wasn't). However, Rosetta can emulate most applications just fine without you even noticing much of a difference. In fact, since the new dual core Intel macs are supposed to be so much faster than the current G4s and G5s, expect most apps to run better on a new mac even if they don't run native.
CocoDaPuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2006, 04:30 PM   #4
paleo2002

Does anyone know if the mac client runs well on macs period? My guild's GM had no idea what I was talking about when I asked him to switch our vent server's codex.
paleo2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2006, 05:19 PM   #5
halprin

Quote:
Originally Posted by paleo2002
Does anyone know if the mac client runs well on macs period? My guild's GM had no idea what I was talking about when I asked him to switch our vent server's codex.
It works splendidly!

Last edited by halprin; 01-19-2006 at 05:39 PM.
halprin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2006, 07:51 AM   #6
jensp

Quote:
Originally Posted by CocoDaPuf
Well I can tell you this much (because it applies to all applications). It won't run native on an Intel machine unless it was written with XCode (which it probably wasn't). However, Rosetta can emulate most applications just fine without you even noticing much of a difference. In fact, since the new dual core Intel macs are supposed to be so much faster than the current G4s and G5s, expect most apps to run better on a new mac even if they don't run native.
No, PPC apps won't run as well under Rosetta compared to most modern PPC based Mac's. But I believe it will manage Ventrilo just fine. Allso, Flagship has mentioned that the Ventrilo code should compile universial binaries.
jensp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2006, 02:53 PM   #7
gramathy

I've heard the speed of the new processor is enough to make up for any translation that might have to be made, and then some.
gramathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2006, 04:00 PM   #8
badnewsblair

Ventrilo takes up relatively little cycles of your processor. Even running under Rosetta, Ventrilo should do just fine.

... and Wadesworld, just to correct you, the new iMac models are shipping and arriving at people's houses as we speak. Mine will be delivered before February and I ordered it just a few days ago.

What I am wondering is what is taking so long on the next prototype of Ventrilo? I am completely happy with the client, I just wish some of the bugs were resolved and the features that Windows users take for granted were activated.
badnewsblair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2006, 09:59 PM   #9
wadesworld

Quote:
and Wadesworld, just to correct you, the new iMac models are shipping and arriving at people's houses as we speak.
Yep, my bad on that. It's just the new "MacBook Pros" that won't be available until February.

Wade
wadesworld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2006, 11:21 AM   #10
Flagship
Administrator

This is a very annoying issue for me. I will not release a product without first having been able to test it.

So this means I either buy an iMac (which isn't going to happen) or a MacBook (which I would prefer not to).

The problem is I have limited desktop space and I wanted a system that I could install additional hardware into (namely alternate sound cards) for testing. Obviously that won't happen with the iMac or MacBook. Also, I don't want or need a dedicated display taking up even more space on my desk for just an Intel Mac. This is why I have a KVM now.

At the current time my only real option is the MacBook and I can move it off my desk when I don't need it, but I'm paying a premium for something that will be off most the time. On top of that they don't start shipping until February as noted by Wade above.

What I wanted is a Power Mac Intel but from what I understand they won't be making those until late 2006 (give or take).

Very annoying indeed. Really bad move on Apples part for us developers.